Who is going to pull the trigger?

Big Cliff

They kill people in France to feed there kids?

Are you being deliberately obtuse, or are you unable to grasp the concept of nuance?

Did you read the article I referred to or does it not fit your pre-established narrative?

How about an answer to my semi-rhetorical question about whether more bombs equal more peace?

In short, I'm trying to determine if you have more to offer to this discussion than pithy sarcasm.

Yes, because of NATO

has everyone forgot that Nathan Cirillo was killed by an islamic extremist right here in Ottawa, and that extremist attempted to enter parliament and open fire. In our luck the idiot was shot before he could kill anyone else?

If you think canada is immune to this kinda garbage and the solution is to hide under a rock until it goes away you are an idiot.

has everyone forgot that Nathan Cirillo was killed by an islamic extremist right here in Ottawa, and that extremist attempted to enter parliament and open fire. In our luck the idiot was shot before he could kill anyone else?

If you think canada is immune to this kinda garbage and the solution is to hide under a rock until it goes away you are an idiot.

If you think you can bomb an idea into submission, you can apply that pejorative to yourself as well.

You cannot defeat ISIS without boots on the ground and body bags coming home.

It should be regional armies' boots and bodies, not ours.

I'm fine with providing training and logistical support to those willing to take up the fight, but we shouldn't be doing the heavy lifting.

Also, the West are hypocrites. Boko Haram has a much, much higher body count than Islamic State, but those are brown bodies, not white ones, so no war on Boko Haram.

The "allies" need to figure a way to stop ISIL's funding. Estimated income from oil is 2 Billion a year. If they can't buy arms or pay their fighters, they lose their credibility and their support.

Bombs don't stop fanatics. Just like anything else, follow the money and you find your answers.

HH

Read above you.

Does more bombs equal more peace?

Ill just continue to shake my head and laugh

Apperently, with topics on OFC lately, its pretty clear alot of members here like violence.

Its sad really

Then most of those members claim Canada to be a peaceful country, ???

Honest answer: you cannot win this war by bombs. Ever, period. First, the UN and Geneva convention would never allow carpet bombing civilians. Second, if we did that, we'd be worse terrorists than IS anyways. Does anyone think that if only the Palestinians had more bombs, peace would follow? How about the reverse - if Israel rains bombs in the Gaza Strip, do you think Hamas will throw up their hands and say "okay Israel, you win"? No chance.

Every time we drop a bomb we create more enemies. There was a link to a great article earlier in this thread about why people join IS. I'm guessing most won't read it. Most of these guys didn't like Saddam, but under him they had a way more prosperous and peaceful life than under "us". The average IS soldier is 27 years old, married with two kids, and while they are Muslim, they do not subscribe to the extreme idealism that IS leadership does. The fact is, a job fighting for IS is the only way they can feed their kids because the U.S. left their country in ruins. The U.S. created this situation in a mad rush to bomb someone (anyone). They had no plan for after the bombs fell, and are now reaping what they have sown.

In fact, the U.S. funded IS when they were under other names because they had a hard on for Assad. Assad is a bad guy, don't get me wrong, but the U.S. is still bumbling around making the middle East worse. Who do they think is going to fill the power vacuum if they topple Assad?

Reality check, there are approximately 30,000 IS troops. There are 1.5M regular and 3M reserve troops in the region (in the armies of "allies" such as Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, etc). None of them have fighting IS on their priority list. I think we should be asking our "allies" why that is, and tell them to clean up their own back yard. I do not believe our troops should be in a combat role there, but we can train and support those that will do the heavy lifting.

At any rate, I am pleased that we are no longer bombing because every orphan or widow we create ends up joining IS to fight the "terrorists" that destroyed their homes and killed their family.

I believe we have to dial back on our own hatred. If we decide that the answer to this problem is to "turn the Middle East into a sheet of glass", then we lose our humanity and become the monsters we claim to hate.

Well writen as are most of your posts, I might not always agree with you but I always appreciate the time and thought you put into explaning your point of view.

In this case however I do agree totally with you that bombs are not the answer! I just heard on the news that the French bombing runs have killed 38 ISIS members so far. I would love to know what it costs to drop just one of those bombs! I am thinking that the cost/ is going to be extradonary.

I don't like the idea of our soldiers going into combat over there, I think that once again we are getting dragged into a war that we didn't start and isn't ours to fight but we do tend to stand by our friends even if they aren't always right, it's the Canadian way.

The "allies" need to figure a way to stop ISIL's funding. Estimated income from oil is 2 Billion a year. If they can't buy arms or pay their fighters, they lose their credibility and their support.

Bombs don't stop fanatics. Just like anything else, follow the money and you find your answers.

HH

Our ally "Turkey" is buying their oil, and is bombing the guys fighting IS (the Kurds). That ought to tell you something right there.... Edited by Dutch01

Honest answer: you cannot win this war by bombs. Ever, period. First, the UN and Geneva convention would never allow carpet bombing civilians. Second, if we did that, we'd be worse terrorists than IS anyways. Does anyone think that if only the Palestinians had more bombs, peace would follow? How about the reverse - if Israel rains bombs in the Gaza Strip, do you think Hamas will throw up their hands and say "okay Israel, you win"? No chance.

Every time we drop a bomb we create more enemies. There was a link to a great article earlier in this thread about why people join IS. I'm guessing most won't read it. Most of these guys didn't like Saddam, but under him they had a way more prosperous and peaceful life than under "us". The average IS soldier is 27 years old, married with two kids, and while they are Muslim, they do not subscribe to the extreme idealism that IS leadership does. The fact is, a job fighting for IS is the only way they can feed their kids because the U.S. left their country in ruins. The U.S. created this situation in a mad rush to bomb someone (anyone). They had no plan for after the bombs fell, and are now reaping what they have sown.

In fact, the U.S. funded IS when they were under other names because they had a hard on for Assad. Assad is a bad guy, don't get me wrong, but the U.S. is still bumbling around making the middle East worse. Who do they think is going to fill the power vacuum if they topple Assad?

Reality check, there are approximately 30,000 IS troops. There are 1.5M regular and 3M reserve troops in the region (in the armies of "allies" such as Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, etc). None of them have fighting IS on their priority list. I think we should be asking our "allies" why that is, and tell them to clean up their own back yard. I do not believe our troops should be in a combat role there, but we can train and support those that will do the heavy lifting.

At any rate, I am pleased that we are no longer bombing because every orphan or widow we create ends up joining IS to fight the "terrorists" that destroyed their homes and killed their family.

I believe we have to dial back on our own hatred. If we decide that the answer to this problem is to "turn the Middle East into a sheet of glass", then we lose our humanity and become the monsters we claim to hate.

:clapping:

???

As an aside, we often talk about how lucky we are to live in a country like Canada. Well, it truly is luck. Any one of us could have been born in Syria, and if so, we would have to ask ourselves (if we weren't already dead), what lengths will I go to to feed my children?

Look at your children when you go home tonight and think about that. Then think about what lengths these people will go to if you bomb their children.

Very well put. I know what I would do...

Well writen as are most of your posts, I might not always agree with you but I always appreciate the time and thought you put into explaning your point of view.

In this case however I do agree totally with you that bombs are not the answer! I just heard on the news that the French bombing runs have killed 38 ISIS members so far. I would love to know what it costs to drop just one of those bombs! I am thinking that the cost/ is going to be extradonary.

I don't like the idea of our soldiers going into combat over there, I think that once again we are getting dragged into a war that we didn't start and isn't ours to fight but we do tend to stand by our friends even if they aren't always right, it's the Canadian way.

Thanks Cliff. Your middle paragraph is on point. Who gets the money when those bombs are bought? The American military industrial complex. The same guys that are quietly lobbying Congress for more bombing.

People are emotional, myself included, but we have to stop with the knee jerk responses that we are being led into, and really look at who wants this war the most.

I despise everything IS represents, but we have to be smart enough to look past the obvious and find a lasting solution to the problem. I submit that as long as bombs rain on people they will never accept peace. They may not accept peace either way, but we can't occupy the moral high ground when our body count of innocents is much higher than 129.

As to your last point, I always stand by a friend. But when a friend is being an idiot, I don't stand by him by being one too. I tell him to smarten up (or sober up) and I make sure he gets home in one piece.

Dutch01 your insight from a different point of view is always a good view so please keep posting. I thank you for those that don't. You open eyes (mine) on a few different topics as of late and I appreciate it. "stay classy" lol

Dutch01 your insight from a different point of view is always a good view so please keep posting. I thank you for those that don't. You open eyes (mine) on a few different topics as of late and I appreciate it. "stay classy" lol

Thanks dude. I expected a bit of a hard time on this one (which may still be on it's way!). I get very passionate about this subject because I worry about the world my Son will inherit. Luckily he has a great and very multicultural group of friends and is colorblind as a result.

As a result of said passion, I sometimes stray close to the line of being rude, which is not my intention and which I find repugnant. I have to dial it back and remind myself you guys are my friends and countrymen, and I can't change minds that I have already alienated.

Edited by Dutch01

This takes a huge heart, I'm not sure I could be as big a man as he were I in his shoes. I'm also very much an atheist, but I respect this man for walking the walk. His God would be proud of him.

Anton Leiris's wife was killed at the Bataclan on Friday. He posted a letter to the terrorists online:

"Friday night, you took an exceptional life - the love of my life, the mother of my son - but you will not have my hatred. I don't know who you are and I don't want to know, you are dead souls. If this God, for whom you kill blindly, made us in his image, every bullet in the body of my wife would have been one more wound in his heart.

So, no, I will not grant you the gift of my hatred. You're asking for it, but responding to hatred with anger is falling victim to the same ignorance that has made you what you are. You want me to be scared, to view my countrymen with mistrust, to sacrifice my liberty for my security. You lost.

I saw her this morning. Finally, after nights and days of waiting. She was just as beautiful as when she left on Friday night, just as beautiful as when I fell hopelessly in love over 12 years ago. Of course I am devastated by this pain, I give you this little victory, but the pain will be short-lived. I know that she will be with us every day and that we will find ourselves again in this paradise of free love to which you have no access.

We are just two, my son and me, but we are stronger than all the armies in the world. I don't have any more time to devote to you, I have to join Melvil who is waking up from his nap. He is barely 17-months-old. He will eat his meals as usual, and then we are going to play as usual, and for his whole life this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free. Because no, you will not have his hatred either."

I was very moved by this and thought I would share it with you all.

HH

Like this?

116 ISIS oil tanker trucks blown to bits yesterday or the day before by US A-10's and AC-130's.

https://www.funker530.com/a-10-warthogs-and-ac-130-kill-frenzy-116-isis-trucks-destroyed/

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Thanks dude. I expected a bit of a hard time on this one (which may still be on it's way!). I get very passionate about this subject because I worry about the world my Son will inherit. Luckily he has a great and very multicultural group of friends and is colorblind as a result.

As a result of said passion, I sometimes stray close to the line of being rude, which is not my intention and which I find repugnant. I have to dial it back and remind myself you guys are my friends and countrymen, and I can't change minds that I have already alienated.

I too was raised to be blind to colour (at 42 now) and I try for my own kids to be the same way as well (they live with their mother so..). You SIR have my respect on many levels and I'm sure others too but they don't care to share that as I do. Respect is earned not just given; you earned it.

Read above you.

Does more bombs equal more peace?

Ill just continue to shake my head and laugh

Apperently, with topics on OFC lately, its pretty clear alot of members here like violence.

Its sad really

Then most of those members claim Canada to be a peaceful country,

I am not one for imposing violence, but the point is that if everyone takes the side that we can allow a place like syria (in the exact same way that afghanistan was) become a terrorist state, you leave a massive deal of political unrest in a region.

You dont have to like everything that our allies do, i.e. isreal, the USA, england and even France, but at the end of the day they are our allies, and as such we have a duty to fight along side them when the cause is just.

Some of us here obviously believe that the situation in Syria will never escalate further than the tribal skirmishes that have dominated the middle east for thousands of years, however others of us see the idea of a terrorist state as a real threat...please let us not forget the methods used by the natzi's in ww2. No one thought they were a threat until it was far too late.

I think in a lot of ways we need to step back and think, what if this happened in downtown Toronto, would we be singing the same tune? Everyone is entitled to their opinion absolutely, but I dont think the debate here is whether or not military action works in neutrilizing threats...the real debate is how real and big that threat is...

some here clearly feel that if we leave syria and the middle east alone, those problems will remain there and peace will prevail in our own country, others here clearly feel that the total unrest in war in those countries can very easily spill over to ours.

Personally I am not sure what sparked off a bunch of saudis and UAE's and egyptions to go knock down the twin towers on 911, as far as i was aware the United states and nato in general were not conducting any major operations aside from in Iraq at that time...but it happened, with a bunch of people that were trained in afghanistan....get my point? anyways im ranting

I love the idea of peace, but i think last friday showed us that these guys are for real and a real threat...its time to act along side our allies, because they hopefully will be there for us when crap inevitably hits the fan here in the next 1000 years. Telling someone else to deal with it and bailing out on your friends typically makes it tough to ask for help when the scenario is reversed.

Edited by AKRISONER

Again well brought up points but just a simple question

God forbid but what if what just happened in Paris happened in our country,,,you just could not talk about it at Tims, obviously some sort of action would have to be taken, and what sort of action would be appropriate,,please understand am just regarding how we would deal with this type of situation