Scary Moment - In an instant

AKRISONER

This past Saturday I was fishing out in open water on Georgian Bay hunting smallies.

Heavy winds, rain and general stormy weather made for some sketchy boating. After arriving at our location I was happy to see that the majority of the heavy wind was being cut off by a point providing us with a bit of protection from the direct storm. (there was no way you could fish in the complete open, 4 foot breaking chop)

we get the trolling motor in and even in protection the waves are still rolling a bit with the odd 3 2-3 foot rogue roller throwing you off balance. within 3 casts I catch this beauty

bigbass.jpg
literally 2 seconds after this photo was taken i reach over the side of the boat to put the fish back...and dave with my phone still in his hand stepped to the same side, a roller caught us and the side of the tinner went underwater and in dave went.
Dave having the death wish that he does, doesnt wear a lifejacket, his boots and bib fill with water and he feels himself being pulled down, he manages to swim back to the boat...grab the side and pull himself up in over the side of the tinner.
If he was not young strong, and good at swimming, he very easily could have drowned.
The crazy bugger told me to not worry about it and we continued to fish for another 2 hours before he finally admitted that he was getting cold...thankfully he did because I put a 21+lb bag of smallies in the boat!

dont get me started about Dave and his insanity, he is probably half crazy but thats another story..

just a few points here, one...dave was standing on a casting deck...it was the fact that we both inadvertantly decided to go to the same edge of the boat at the same time plus a wave hitting us at the same time that caused the problem. We learned our lesson the hard way there to ensure that we are coordinating how we move around the boat while handling fish...that was learned the hard way for sure.

I know for me, i wear my PFD at all times, and it would have saved my life regardless of what happened...I woulda have been cold and sad but I know I would have survived...a drift would have pushed me right on to a nearby shoreline with a cottage on it.

It does show you how things can sure happen in a flash though. Id like to point out that I was not out in the big part of the bay...and nor have I ever gone out in the big water in the tinner...i know how insane that part of the lake can get in a blink of an eye.

Edited by AKRISONER

AKRISONER, don't get me wrong, I'm not judging. Each man has own tolerance for risk and you look a bit younger than me. I'm a little more risk averse now that I have a young Son who wants me to come at the end of the day!

Because my boat is new (to me anyways), I don't have an established confidence in her yet. Add in no survival suit and I decided to winterize it already.

Besides, I'm killing them from shore right now so it was as easy decision.

Edited by Dutch01

Crazy, glad to hear it was a good outcome! One of the reasons I don't like fishing out of my dads tinner, and won't buy one myself I don't like the tippiness that is possible in them. Again glad to hear it turned out ok but I'm sure it was an eye opener for your friend

You don't have to be on the big part of the Bay for it to get dangerous. Waves in Midland and Penetang Harbour mouths were 7 feet on Monday when Andy and I were out and they were rolling over the bow of my Baron. Yesterday they were 3 feet + way in the back channels behind Thompson Island.

Hopefully you've both learned a wonderful lesson and can continue to boat safely. I can't judge anyone on stupidity, as my father-in-law and I use to troll the main Sound in a 12' springbok with both a 7.5 Elgin and 5.0 Evinrude on the back. That way we could hopefully at least keep one of them running and would troll the troughs in 10' swells between Snake and Methodist! Swells so big you had to hold your rod tip up or they were in the waves. Turning around was the part the sucked, but I always made sure he was in the bow and I was driving!! :ninja:

You don't have to be on the big part of the Bay for it to get dangerous. Waves in Midland and Penetang Harbour mouths were 7 feet on Monday when Andy and I were out and they were rolling over the bow of my Baron. Yesterday they were 3 feet + way in the back channels behind Thompson Island.

Hopefully you've both learned a wonderful lesson and can continue to boat safely. I can't judge anyone on stupidity, as my father-in-law and I use to troll the main Sound in a 12' springbok with both a 7.5 Elgin and 5.0 Evinrude on the back. That way we could hopefully at least keep one of them running and would troll the troughs in 10' swells between Snake and Methodist! Swells so big you had to hold your rod tip up or they were in the waves. Turning around was the part the sucked, but I always made sure he was in the bow and I was driving!! :ninja:

..probably safer in that springbok then that Lund ?

lol at some of these stories out in the chop, thats nuts..

Ive been in 10 footers with my dad but that was in a 28 foot boat.

Also i forgot to add! When dave was in the water, his primary concern was not to ruin my phone hahaha (hence i still have the photo of the smallie)...he actually said to me while in the water "scott, your phone!" while holding it above the water ahhaha I quickly responded "DAMN THE PHONE THROW IT!" ...to which he reached in from outside of the boat and threw it on a seat so it wouldnt go in the bottom of the boat and get wet...what a crazy guy ahahhaa

Talk your buddy into wearing a mustang IceRider suit.Then he would look good out there and still have a PFD.Glad to see noone got seriously hurt.I wear my life jacket under my HJC floater coat this time of year.It has floatation too just not recognized in Canada.Don't even know my PFD is on.

Kerry

Scary stuff.

Your braver than I heading out in those conditions on the Bay.

Lesson learned for everyone I guess.

Stay safe man. I like your posts. I want to be reading them for years to come!!

Edited by N.A.W

Due to a lack of a shower this weekend I decided to jump into Lake Boshkung for a swim, it was amazing that it was so cold that my body almost went into shock.

I would hate to have done that from a boat, the shock almost paralyzed me. It was lucky I was in shallow water.

Glad everyone is A Okay.

Akrisoner, I understand completely. Paul and I have had a few close calls and he has been boating his entire life. It sure wakes you up to smell the coffee and teaches you a lesson each time, but the next lesson is always different. Some mistakes we made, the other someone else made that almost put us 6 feet under.

So very glad you made out well this time and are still here to fish another day.

Joey

Glad everything worked out - and sounds like the fish were on fire for you guys this weekend! I remember a few sketchy moments in tinners growing up, although never had the pleasure of falling in. One of the boats we had was 12' narrow and flat bottomed - not much fun to fish from in any sort of waves.