ughhh, stupid job offers NF

manitoubass2

hahaha, imagine if that was a test to see how dedicated you were lol ? new job offer now sounds better if you get paid for travel time !

Yeah thats what my wife though as well???

Dirty HR tactics.

Still undecided really but lotsa good posts here to help me ponder it over?

The older I get the more home time and personal time are important to me. If I was 20-25 I'd do pretty much whatever I could to earn top dollar. Now? Not so much.

I hear ya bill

From 18 to 27 or 28 I chased the dollar, chased overtime like tou wouldnt believe, but I was smart about it.

I basically bought nothing and invested.

My dad told me one thing that always stuck in my head, "if you cant pay for it in cash with one weeks pay, you cant afford it".

Now the obvious exceptions are house and vehicle

If you read through the thread however, im not chasing money, im trying to work longer.

The company im at now can pull out of this mine at anytime.

The offering company is there at least a few years

And the mine is a 25 min drive from home so I dont need to stay in camp for either job?

Edited by manitoubass2

I hate having to make decisions like that!!

Now that you mention that the mine is as close as it is to home, and the shift start/end times aren't too crazy ( like 5a/5p would be awesome) then you may not miss out on too much family.

Consider this. If the mine doesn't allow you to have your phone on you or it doesn't allow you to spend any time on the Internet, then you will have less time on OFC. AND THATS BULL!!!

Naw man, I think for a guy who will have 7 kids soon, it's a tough call. The things I like are the security of knowing you have a job for the next few years or more. Great $$$/Benny's are a plus. And if all your income is for your kids future then.........

I'd do it!

Best of luck Rick!

Your wife said it's your call, so include her in the decision. You are a team and both will have important input on making the right decision for your family. I know personally, money isn't everything. Time to spend with family (you have a lot) or enjoy my hobbies weighs out over money every time. You have to be able to pay the bills though.

Job security is everything. Sure 14 hour shifts might suck, but so does being unemployed. That contract can end any second really, I'd definitely take it up with your current employer and try to secure long-term employment with benefits.

I did 4 weeks on, 2 off, 14 hour shifts for almost 2 years, the hardest part was not having anyone with whom to have conversations. All the guys I worked with were duds.

Careful with gold mines though, lots of them are shutting down. What property would you be working at? Also that job doesn't sound like engineering at all, are they misleading you?

I can still post on OFC lol.

Only from my truck during my downtime.

Once im outta the truck no cell phones and never any pictures.

Some of the labourers hate our jobs because we basically sit and watch them work. Ill admit it feels bad.

Same as when i was in a safety consultant in the oilfields.

So I just get out and chat with them, bust some jokes, grab em waters etc. Thats all im permitted to do.

And its not necessarily engineering im doing. Its surveying for engineering companies. Im no engineer thats for certain lol

Those who say time is money are deceiving you. You can make more money but you can never make more time!!

If ya read the whole thread, its basically boiled down to this

Company 1 less pay and contract work/no stability. Full benefits 5 on 2 off schechule

Company 2 $6/raise, 2 hours paid travel time(even though its the same site 25 mins away) more stability and 6 on 3 off schedule, full benefits

and the drive from Fort Frances/ RR area is great until you leave the water then the drive to T Bay is pretty brutal. except for that one gas station that has a great store as well. found some good wool pants for winter/ bush wear there.

The great bear?

On the left hand side of the highway with a huge house one the right side?

Edited by manitoubass2

it's on the north side of 11. can't remember where exactly. I'll have to dig out the receipt haha. but it was kinda guy heaven for stuff (for that lonely stretch of highway that is...) looked at a pair Husqy chainsaw boots lol if I wasn't making miles, I would hung out a bit more dropping more coin.

And straight to night shifts lol.

I don't mind NS, it's quieter and the safety man is less likely to bug you (but work safe anyway please).

Only thing I found weird was eating dinner in the "morning" and breakfast at "night".

I don't mind NS, it's quieter and the safety man is less likely to bug you (but work safe anyway please).

Only thing I found weird was eating dinner in the "morning" and breakfast at "night".

I actually love nights! I might only sleep for 4 hours but at least i can get other stuff done.

Plus they gave me the weekend off to acclimate?

Working in the bush at night should be fun! Lotsa reports of bears and wolves in the area at night