September Bassin 5 Day Report

MCTFisher9120

Hello again everybody here on OFC. It's report time I just got in the door a few hours ago and wanted to post a report on a pretty successful fishing trip. My mom, grandma, little brother and I headed out mid day last Friday for Northern Ontario to mainly kick back, relax and for me FISHING!!! I got out a total of 11 times. Once for a hour and a bit Friday evening and then managed to get 8-9 hours in on the lake every day even when the wind and rain came up mid week. The funny thing about this September was for me personally I did much better in the mornings when it came to numbers than the afternoons. Evenings sucked for me but I managed to keep a steady catching rythem going most outings.

This year the bass were caught on a smaller variety of baits. First was a 3/4oz Stand-Up style flipping jig with a Texas-Rig Jig trailer on the back, I used this to pitch to visible deep weed as I dont have a fishfinder yet so tend to be a very visual angler when it comes to finding bass....got to haha. Nichols 1/2oz Pearl White Spinnerbait, a Pearl Swinging Hammer both texas rigged and cut down 1" and put on a 1/2oz Swim Jig was good for covering shallower weed and cover. The 3.5" TRJ simply texas rigged and and with both a 1/2 and 3/8oz weight I used just twice this trip pitching some shallow mat's under the sun. Other than those baits I didn't get to do the finesse fishing I wanted, no froggin either. The jerkbait picked up just one photo worthy smallie in the early hours. I tended to change gears to largemouth once I got dialed in on the pattern.

On with the photo's. First evening best fish for the time I had, covered a flat and found a couple largies.

ScreenHunter_27%20Oct.%2001%2017.42_zpsv

First cast, smallie blew up on the spinnerbait. Straightened it out was blown away, caught a few dozen Largies this week only bent them left or right slightly. Power these fish have. Going to find a 5lbr up here one day.

ScreenHunter_27%20Oct.%2001%2017.43_zpsv

My mom taking shots with the camera. This captures the morning in it's beauty. Haven't missed a morning on my trips in 4 years of taking fishing trips. Love this part of the day.

ScreenHunter_29%20Oct.%2001%2017.46_zpss

Good fish out deep, love the rush these fish give you.

ScreenHunter_27%20Oct.%2001%2017.44_zpsc

Got into a foot of water maybe 2 at best first afternoon. Sun was out temps were hot was fun to see some mat's lift up. No giants but this was the better bite a little after lunch.

ScreenHunter_28%20Oct.%2001%2017.44_zpsq

Fat bass from the deep weedline. Love hearing that Fluoro slice the water on the hookset. 3/4oz Jig didn't seem to slow them down they were on it this trip.

ScreenHunter_29%20Oct.%2001%2017.45_zps7

Filler fish are present throughout the days, haha obviously I wasn't very impressed but can't complain :P

ScreenHunter_28%20Oct.%2001%2017.45_zpss

Nice largemouth early on. Fished these with the trailer hook all week but all the bass seemed to of always had front or both hooks in them. Was a fun bite never really got on a good blade bite up here.

ScreenHunter_30%20Oct.%2001%2017.47_zpsq

Good largemouth on the jig.

ScreenHunter_31%20Oct.%2001%2017.48_zpst

2lbr, fun fight but no bragger. Still better wake up than a cup of coffe.

ScreenHunter_30%20Oct.%2001%2017.46_zps2

Catch and Release. Love seeing these guys swim back strong and healthy.

ScreenHunter_37%20Oct.%2001%2018.05_zpsw

Another afternoon another good largemouth. Fished deep first then tried some pad edges later on.

ScreenHunter_32%20Oct.%2001%2017.50_zpsp

My big fish of the trip. Pitching the TRJ to the pads. Only bite in the entire stretch but was the right bite.

ScreenHunter_31%20Oct.%2001%2017.49_zpsu

Little action shot, Largies out deep on the jerkbait.

ScreenHunter_35%20Oct.%2001%2018.04_zps2

Smallmouth. Wasn't my year for numbers but I did get a few this trip.

ScreenHunter_33%20Oct.%2001%2018.03_zpsa

Largemouth after breakfast. The 2 days of Spinnerbait/Swimbait madness began. Fairly warm and overcast, perfect conditions.

ScreenHunter_36%20Oct.%2001%2018.05_zpsj

One of many small Pike. 3 or 4 each day lost 2 baits this trip didn't totally break the bank...we wont talk about August I wasn't to impressed.

ScreenHunter_39%20Oct.%2001%2018.06_zpsu

2lbr, fun on the jig as always

ScreenHunter_38%20Oct.%2001%2018.05_zpsm

Time for the bigger bass to play.

ScreenHunter_39%20Oct.%2001%2018.07_zpsc

Another pike, not super long but good fight.

ScreenHunter_4120Oct.20012018.08_zpsk2qt

This was my morning wake up the next day. Love that Swinging Hammer/Swim Jig combo, lot's of confidence now.

ScreenHunter_34%20Oct.%2001%2018.03_zpse

Things didn't come together for my on my last morning Wednesday. Only got 1 bass that morning so we changed up from the big jig's and blade baits and came up with a new plan. Great largie to save my morning. Went out on my only solo mission of the trip. My mom was out for most trips taking pictures and fishing along side me. Always nice to hang out once a year.

ScreenHunter_40%20Oct.%2001%2018.07_zpsn

Brought back my best pair for the afternoon. Still was a tough bite but cut the weight in half and went to a 3/8oz TRJ no rattle just texas rigged and pitched as much cover as I could find. Got 4 decent bites these were my best 2. Ended off on a good note.

ScreenHunter_41%20Oct.%2001%2018.07_zpsu

As seen I had my GoPro on 95% of the trip when battery would allow. I will be posting a video hopefully in the coming weeks of all the action and hooksets. Thanks for viewing everybody hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Tightlines and enjoy the fall everybody!

MTBF

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Very well done Mike. I have to get back into Bass fishing. I've had about enough of long line trolling for Walleye meat here on Erie. Catch, pull, crank, pull crank and pull some more, 4 head shakes at the back of the boat then net. Boooring. Yes when this wind breaks Bass it is, then put away the boat. Thanks for the inspiration Mike.

I think I counted 8 rods in one of your pics haha. Well done as usual.

We brought 11 total. The I-Slide Megabass swimbait I never got hit on and I left the Tube and Drop Shot rod's on short never threw them once. Wanted to but couldn't put down reaction baits...Need a graph as mentioned to build my deep water confidence.

Very well done Mike. I have to get back into Bass fishing. I've had about enough of long line trolling for Walleye meat here on Erie. Catch, pull, crank, pull crank and pull some more, 4 head shakes at the back of the boat then net. Boooring. Yes when this wind breaks Bass it is, then put away the boat. Thanks for the inspiration Mike.

I've never trolled for Walleye except on Rice. I love bass fishing especially when your not getting dinks all day. Wish these were all 4's but that quality 3lb class bass is always a pleasure to catch. Staring up at my 6lb 13oz LMB from Seymour above my head on the wall still dreaming of the day I'll catch something bigger. The hunt is never over every trip I fish hard to break that PB.

Nice haul mike !!! Did you hit the dropshot game for brown fish like I said ?? Great week on the water man ..... Well done

We talked and I talked about it so much but no I never found the time to do the tube/drop shot. They must of been deep on those crappy days so when the jerkbait didn't work I went to weedlines with rock close by and found nice largies all day. 2016 my friend were gonna get a graph with structure scan and look out!

As a bass guy myself these pics make me smile

Bass fight hard! Mike you every get to fish river bass or bass in rapids? Unreal fun!

Great pics, great fish and great report!

Thanks for the comments! No never really got into rapid situations except when I was a kid exploring new lakes up north with my Papa.

Enjoying the comments guys, always humbling for me to do this write up then sit back and read all the great comments and posts from the board members.

MTBF

Awesome Mike.

Thank you sure was! I'm almost done my GoPro movie, that will be Awesome!

Nice job! The two soft plastics look good to me.

Some days 1 or 2 is all you need. It seemed flipping weed lines and having that Spinnerbait/Swim Jig approach was all we needed.

Great report. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on having the opportunity to fish for five days.

Don't make as much $$ as half these people on here but always find the time to take care of Me and that's 2-3 weeks off each summer on the water. As long as I can get that every year till I die I'm happy!

Great report and trip Mike! Always nice to see some pics of quality fish. A gem of a spot you've got there.

Thank you sir!

Thanks for the reply's guys. I'll post a new thread soon with my little 3 minute movie