Skunk Problem

LostAnotherOne

Hey guys. For about a week I have had a strong skunk smell coming from under my deck. Currently I do not possess nothing that could possibly get rid of him such as a shotgun or hand grenade. We are looking for a new house out in the country so we could be putting our house up anytime. Just don't want any skunk smell being around when people are looking at our house. Any ideas guys on how to get rid of it. Not looking to spend a ton of cash so wildlife tech is out of the question. Thanks

they've been brutal in my neighbourhood this summer, we dont have them living in my yard but i see a half dozen a night walking the dog.. growing up we'd use a light and radio.. may or may not have flooded out a burrow with the hose too.. i dont recommend that, they come out a little angry..

I had one years ago under my shed. I blocked the way into the yard and her only way out was ontoa main street lined with thick bushes. I have bike horn/siren and other noises. I put the push button switch between two pieces of hinged styrofoam, Whe she stepped on this it went off and loud, once when she left at night and when she came back, Drove her crazy I bet, I also poured a bottle of vinegar and some p into the den from above in two weeks she and the kids were gone for good. The alam stopped going off.

I you have access under your deck; soak a few rags with household ammonia (you can buy it at the grocery store, in the liquid cleaning section); throw the rags under the deck, in as many different places you can reach.

If you can't get under there, pour it through the deck boards; it'll soak in the ground and not last as long, so you may need to reapply a few times.

Trapping and relocating them is the best; but legally you cannot relocate them any further then 1 Klm from where they were trapped. Not unless you have a trapping license and then you can euthanize(sp?) them, if relocation is not feasible.

I understand the law as to why only a Klm; but in the city what are you too do? Drive a Klm through the subdivision, stop, knock on the closest house door and say sorry this is as far as I'm allow to go and dump the skunk on their front yard? LOL

Dan.

I have trapped 5 skunks this summer in my backyard. Finally got rid of them all 10 minute drive north of the highway and all has been good for 2 weeks. I have no grubs so they were after my composter and kept digging up underneath it.

Rob C

Sad to say but there is only one way to get rid of them.

Kinda like coyotes .

They breed more than rabbits and who wants to eat a skunk or coyote??

Shhootem Shhootem..

You can trap them and put them in someone else's backyard but they will be back...

Not only that .

Who the hell are you to put your problems on someone's back door??

We have had good results using strobe lights under the cottage at night. For Coons too. We had a skunk spray our dog 2 days after moving into a brand spanking new home and into the kitchen and onto my wife, then the dog ran into the bedroom and on the bed, Man what a mess. The only thing that took the smell off the dog was Crest toothpaste. after a few hundred bucks of Tomato juice and vet stink remover. We never had that new house smell after that. The bed and bedding was a write off. If not for the 2 day old house the insurance company said it would have been a huge bill. Skunks, I hate em.

A radio left in under the deck will sometimes make them move on too.

Live trap and barrel of water works real good. Skunks cant spray in the trap. Cant lift its tail.

S.

Wrong! They can spray in a cage! Trust me I know....Also remember to fasten the door shut. the bar that hold door shut releases when trap is tipped verticaly and wet skunk gets out of 45gl drum and causes tense monent lol

a skunk won't spray in a fully enclosed spot

Wrong! I had shunk in live trap. wrapped it in a tarp. He sprayed!!

Heard they only spray once...Wrong! 3 times i heard spray hit tarp while trying to move from back to front yard.

I heard that a skunk cannot spray if it cannot raise it's tail. My Dad had a skunk problem and he used the live trap and hose method. He told me that once he caught the skunk in the live trap, he would hit it with the hose and soak the little bugger good. The tail would get so heavy with water that the skunk couldn't lift his tail to spray. He'd cover the trap with a blanket and move the skunk to it's new home.

HH