Learned the Hard Way

netminder

Regardless of the size, type, max speed, power, etc. of the boat you use, make sure you have all the required safety gear in the boat. I was out on Belwood last weekend in my inflatable boat and electric motor and was stopped by the OPP for a safety equipment check. I can't remember the entire list of everything I need but I can tell you exactly what I didn't have:

- 50' of rope

- bailing bucket

- flashlight

- whistle

Could have been about $1,000 in fines but they went easy on me as I played ignorant saying I didn't realize (I truly didn't) that all that stuff would actually be required on a semi-small lake riding in a glorified canoe. For each piece of equipment you're missing it's a $240 fine (that was the grand total of my fine that day).

By the way, the fishing sucked that day too!

They sell a little orange pail at canadian tire that contains all of those items. It's $12. It's certainly not the extent of my safety equipment on my boat, but it is what I hold up when I get checked.

Yeah, the officers were actually pretty helpful, and showed that exact thing to me. I went to Canadian Tire on the way home and picked it up.

I just wish my wife didn't see the ticket :oops:

if you buy the orange safety pail, have fun with the cops.

their eyes will widen and they will start to salivate with the opportunity to nail you with the flashlight part.

yes, its in the orange pail, but if it doesn't have batteries IN THE FLASHLIGHT when they check you, fine.

even better, if you put batteries in the flashlight, put the flashlight back in the orange pail, then leave it....the batteries will rust, and again, fine.

when I get pulled, I take my orange pail out, and for fun (hey, we have to have fun too), turn the flashlight on, which never works, and say DARN....

immediately the coppers start their speech...until I reach into my rod holder and take out my 3 "D" battery maglight....

they laugh every time and say "oh, you've been through this before".....

coppers :) :) :)

What's the purpose of the rope and whistle - I can see the need for the flashlight incase you end up coming in when its dark and the bailing bucket to bail and take a leak when needed but the rope and whistle I can't figure out - thanks

What's the purpose of the rope and whistle - I can see the need for the flashlight incase you end up coming in when its dark and the bailing bucket to bail and take a leak when needed but the rope and whistle I can't figure out - thanks

The whistle goes on your life jacket incase you fall out of the boat in the dark or you break down and want to get someones attention.

The 50' rope is to toss to someone who falls out of your boat.

whistle is a signaling device,so if you have a air horn that will pass,do not need the whistle,the rope is a heaving line must be buoyant with a floating ball on the end.

I was told the rope had to be bouyant. Nothing about that ball on it. although thats the one I have cuz it came with the pail.

Wait till you get the Ass like I had out on Quinte. I did the same joke thing with him, dead flashlight in the safety container, when he started the lecture I pulled out my mini mag light from the console and smiled. He asked to see it and when I passed it to him he F'n dropped it in the water and with a smirk said, 'it dosent float, not good enough' I sat in disbelief as he once again started his lecture. Let me off with a warning and it wasn't till after I got home. Where does it say the flashlight has to float?!?

At least no fine, glad I didn't show him my 4'D'mag light...

a different perspective on the rope. I paddle whitewater and the rope is NOT for me but for anyone else who ends up going downstream in current, out of their boat. Usually a 50' or 75' rope and waist bag with floating rope and carabiner is on my boat. The people I paddle with have everything needed for most rescue scenarios and most also have wilderness first aid training.

the whistle. way louder than anyone yelling at the top of their lungs so it's a great attention getter if you need help.

while the cheap orange bucket will meet legal requirements, I'd go above and beyond those dinky pieces of gear and upgrade to better rope and bailer.

Ya another board member and myself almost had to go to court over a planner board !!!! Ya the cops didn't know what it was and wanted to fine me for it !!!! They almost ran over all my lines and everything !!!! I was shouting at them as well profanitys included !!!! Ya just unreal most if them don't know squat !!!!!! I have way over and above my safety requirements including full fire extinguisher VHF radio everything you name it I got it !! And they didn't know what a planner board was !!!!! I have been through thei many times !!!! Most cops that do marine patrol are barely old enough to shave !!!!! Typical ... But as long as you have the equipment you are good to go !!!!!! And about a month ago I got stopped on a northern lake and the police boat just barely made it over a shoal that was unmarked and they didn't even see it !!!! I told them about it and what they just drove over and they pretended that I was not even talking !!!!!! They missed the rocks by about 10 feet and didn't even know they were there !!!! Hahaha that would have been awesome ...... Me rescuing a police boat ... It's about the only kind of boat I have not yet rescued !!! Lol .... Unreal eh.

Why have a throw rope when you are alone in your boat?

The police in my area only go to 2 bodies of water unless it's to search for a body. The rest of the region is too remote. i rarely see any other boats or canoes when I go fishing.

Another throw rope tip from whitewater paddling. Throw ropes/bags are kept bungeed to the front or rear decks and in some cases, depending on what we're running, one end is 'binered to a grab loop or thwart. If one somehow ends up out of the boat, grab the loose end of the rope and while it pays out, make for shore or a safe place to re-enter the boat. This would work with fishing boats as well (obviously not wise if attached to stern and motor is running but then that's why we wear kill cords).

Boy - this discussion brings up a question - does a nonresident have to have this stuff aboard - I've been fishing in Ontario since the late 50s and don't have a floatable rope or a floatable flashlight - I have a bucket for bailing but have a bilge pump so the bucket is really only used when I have to take a leak - I have a rope but I use it when loading and off loading the boat - it ain't no where 50 ft. - I don't have a whistle on my life jacket either - I don't always wear a life jacket usually only when it windy or I'm going somewhere - I do have a fire extinguisher and a floatable seat to throw if someone is in the water - anyone know if I need the things mentioned - thanks

If you are operating a pleasure craft that is licensed,

registered or titled in a country outside Canada, you

must comply with the safety equipment requirements

of the country in which the vessel is registered or

licensed. Foreign visitors operating a Canadian

licensed or registered vessel must comply with

Canadian regulations. So if you're bring your boat across the border, go with your state regs. If you operate a Canadian licenced/reg'd boat, follow our rules.

Edited by Fisherman