Beware the slimy launch ramp

pics

dont see why the truck would be a write off if engines were not turned on...I didnt think that water would be able to make it past the intake manifold? Aside from that the block should be sealed? I could see the interiors being damaged and needing a good cleaning, but those are $50,000 trucks

Yikes, I wonder if it puts the city at fault? Unless they've got signs use launch at own risk?

That's something I was wondering personally. Pretty near put my entire vehicle in the water at the Trout Lake launch in North Bay about a month ago. Water was murky and I couldn't see that the launch is messed right up (seriously, it looks like an excavator dug up the slabs). They currently have it barricaded off.

once a vehicle is submerged all the wiring harnesses and electronics are toast. The new parts plus installation would quickly surpass the value. People learned the hard way with Katrina cars that showed up for sale..it doesn't take long for things to go bad.. It's a good ramp normally but being in a sheltered bay makes the water very warm and susceptible to slime...

Been there, done that, just not as bad. Not a thing you can do once it starts going. I was lucky I hit gravel at the end of the concrete and just got the cab floor washed. I did it at the deseronto launch on quinte.

S.

the deseronto launch at Quinte can be a pain in the arse. flat and long without much depth.

that pier 4/ bay front park launch pictured above is super easy...but i guess when its filled with slime, it becomes 1000x's tougher.

there are "use at your own risk" signs at the ramp...however signs don't automatically absolve a party of negligence.

If the ramp were in the same condition as most others, even racing slicks would have enough traction to hold your vehicle in place without sliding down. In this case, two vehicles went in the drink in the span of 24 hours, must be 2 really stupid drivers??

I'm thinking the ramp is a little too smooth... and most people wouldn't think the slime is a problem. Some boats just don't come off the trailer unless the truck hits water.. It's been a while since I've used this ramp so I can't remember if it's shallow or not..

as a boat launcher, you have to learn how to do so under many conditions....

ice, rain, and yes, slime.

the 2 boats that went down in 24 hours didn't mention the other 30 boats who used the ramp without issue.

I'm quite sure the launchers didn't use their four wheel drive, nor did they use their E brake.

They likely reversed too far....the ramp is a deep one....back wheels don't even need to be in the water.