A Quickie With The Mrs. = Fireworks + Fishing With Two Living Legends!!!

I recently purchased a new float tube because my old one had a few too many puncture wounds at the seams. It lasted 8 years so I can't really complain... The Mrs and I got out for a quick run to test out my new Caddis float tube and we ended up catching 4 small brookies.

IMG_2870_zpsveixray8.jpg

The fish weren't very active during our 90 minute outing but the mosquitos sure were! We fished right until dusk and the bugs had a great time while they feasted on our blood.

IMG_2874_zpsfxo8xwie.jpg

My parents were born and raised in the Sudbury area. I was also born there but we moved away when I was 7 years old. Since then, Ottawa has been the place we've called home for 30 years now. With most of our relatives currently residing in Sudbury, this part of the world still feels like home even though I don't visit as often as I should. I have a young family of my own now so getting up there isn't as easy as it used to be.

IMG_0728_zpsnq24hvou.jpg

A long overdue goal for the Mrs. and myself was to visit our Sudbury relatives this summer. We stayed at my aunt's cottage for 6 days so my son and I had a blast catching lots of bass from the dock. Simple fishing did the trick as he used small jigs tipped with worms and the bass kept my son busy all week.

IMG_0646_2_zps3uynzucx.jpg

Canada day was another kind of blast with a bunch of fireworks to entertain us.

IMG_0664_zpsa39fy4v6.jpg

IMG_0668_zpstyml09mt.jpg

IMG_0671_zpsxcjgnjgd.jpg

IMG_0683_zpsyv8o1pxr.jpg

IMG_0694_zpsdykw9xmx.jpg

Then I got to fish with two legendary men who inspired me to love fishing when I was a young boy: My 90 year old grandfather and my uncle. I made fishing plans with both of them prior to arriving in Sudbury because I wanted to make sure that we'd get out and fish together. With life getting busier all the time, I eventually realized that I hadn't gone fishing with my grandfather for over 20 years. I have vivid memories of him taking me fishing at his cottage when I was as young as 5-6 years old. It was a real treat and very inspiring to troll and then jig in the same lake some 20 odd years later with a man who's now 90 years old but still sharp as he was 2-3 decades ago... A true inspiration for me as I can only hope to live that long and be able to go fishing like he still does today.

IMG_0704_zps55xmpqg5.jpg

No fish were boated on this short outing but the fish were not important on this particular evening. Spending an hour with a man who taught me how to fish was all I was after anyways... It was great to listen to his stories about the history of this lake where he was owned a cottage since 1952. Since retiring in 1985, my grandparents have lived at their cottage every year from May to November. The fishing stories of all the great fish that the family caught in this lake over the years were great to hear too. It was an absolute pleasure to fish with my grandfather after all these years and hopefully I'll get to fish with him again soon...

IMG_0713_zpsgeed7xee.jpg

The following morning I had the privilege to fish with another living legend; my uncle who also taught me how to fish and is still an inspiration for me today. He's a logger, a trapper, a hunter, a pilot, and by far the best fisherman I've ever met.

IMG_0720_zpsoc4bdnjd.jpg

He knows that I love brook trout so he brought me creek fishing for specks deep in the wilderness, where trout dreams are made of. If you look closely you can see my uncle fishing a pool on the right point near the top of the falls.

IMG_0731_zpsijriojus.jpg

We traveled over 15 kilometres on various quad trails, stopping to fish the best pools along the way before we arrived at our final destination.

IMG_0745_zpsyltmfsqo.jpg

At almost every new spot that we fished, I caught a trout on the very first cast. It was like a dream as the fish were often exactly where they should be. The fact that they were quite aggressive too made for an action packed morning. Small spinners tipped with a worm was what my uncle was using. I used Panther Martin spinners tipped with a worm and often I'd catch fish without even adding a piece of worm at all.

IMG_0732_zpsmur10mzm.jpg

We ended up catching over 60 specks, including 3 double headers.

IMG_0723_zps7umc5gkz.jpg

After a few hours of fishing, we took a break so that my uncle could cook us up a quick shore lunch. Let me tell you, those freshly caught specks dipped in my aunt's home made batter just melt in your mouth.

IMG_0735_zps49dkndda.jpg

IMG_0736_zpsmodhvba4.jpg

IMG_0737_zpstylhxjdc.jpg

IMG_0738_zpsj7vni1v8.jpg

I enjoyed every moment of this trip with my uncle and I can't wait to return fishing with him in the future.

IMG_0740_zpsdzja0dzp.jpg

Sudbury has and always will feel like home. Hopefully I will return sooner than later.

IMG_0741_zpsurjjnjby.jpg

What a wonderful report. The time we have with our heroes is priceless. I have been missing my Nono since I was 12. We didn't fish or hunt together but I remember sitting beside him and he would show me all the amazing places there are in the World in an old Rand McNally Atlas that predated WW2. Cherish the time you can spend with them, you can never get it back. I have the Atlas and it is my most treasured thing I have above all else. Start planning a return trip now.

Now that is a trip of a lifetime. What an excellent report. Felt like I was right there with you. Fishing with your grandpa must have been something really special. So glad you got to do it, and that fish fry just made me hungry!!

Love the picture with the trees and trail.

Thanx for an awesome report. Your pix are fantastic! My grandpa, father & 2 special uncles were also an great inspiration for me as a youngster to get into fishing. Many times while out fishing on my own I reflect back on the things we enjoyed as a family.

Thanks for the very enjoyable read, what a great story. Getting to fish with uncle and grand-father must have been pretty special. I can't imagine still fishing at 90, talk about inspirational! Fishing that creek for specks, driving the quads, exploring pool after pool AND the shore lunch...you must have been like a kid in a candy store!