Cigarette Butts in the water system

John Bacon

Most smokers don't give a damn where they throw their butts.. or maybe they are just conditioned to toss them where ever they happen to be..

Yes, it is strange how smokers (even ones who would never think of tossing other garbage on the ground) think it is accpetable to just toss their butts anywhere.

I guess there may be a few exceptions. But I don't think that I have ever seen a smoker save a cigerette butt to be disposed of properly. They may use a garbage can or ash tray if it right there; otherwise they just toss it on the ground or into the water.

My pockets have butts in them all the time. I do toss the odd one, I admit, but I also make an effort NOT to litter them.

Off topic, but another pet peeve of mine is empty shotgun shells. Drives me nuts!

The person who comes up with biodegradable butts is going to make a killing!

S.

My father smoked 3 packs a day, never once saw him chuck a butt out the window. It got to smolder in the ash tray in the car, just to add to the smoke we breathed in in the back seat. Cars had an ash tray and they were used.

My youngest's boyfriend flicked a butt outside the house door ONCE about 3 years ago just before coming in... he'll never do that again! (or I'll drag him to it again!)

Yep, i quit for over a year but im back in that category, i always stuff butts into pockets or cans etc or the ashtray of the car. Frankly i hate seeing em everywhere too just like the rest of the garbage.

My personal hatred is for people who flick lit cigarettes out the window at night in the highway. Seeing a flame flying at me at highway speeds is not cool. If you have to smoke you should have the decency to properly dispose of your waste.

It drives me nuts to see them all over the golf course. I also have a neighbor that likes to fire them on my front lawn as he comes up to the door. I gave him crap and the last time he threw it in the back of my truck..... Some peoples kids !!!!

I also have a neighbor that likes to fire them on my front lawn as he comes up to the door.

I also had a neighbour who thought it was fine to take his dog for a walk & let it crap on my lawn.

His attitude changed when he realized that all such desposites would later be found on the windshield of his BMW.

Yes, it is strange how smokers (even ones who would never think of tossing other garbage on the ground) think it is accpetable to just toss their butts anywhere.

I guess there may be a few exceptions. But I don't think that I have ever seen a smoker save a cigerette butt to be disposed of properly. They may use a garbage can or ash tray if it right there; otherwise they just toss it on the ground or into the water.

So true, I was reprimanded severely and publicly shamed (rightly so) for throwing my butts on the ground in an ice fishing post many years ago, and I would be the first person even back then to rant about people leaving garbage everywhere.

When I used to smoke, I would never dare drop a butt in the water. No different than dropping a coffee cup or a candy wrapper on the ground. You'd get a smack across the back of the head putting the butts in the water. After a weekend it would take 15 minutes to clean out the bottom of the boat.

It's not quite as bad now, but when I first moved here, the shoreline was littered with chopped up plastic tampon applicators. Guess women flush them , the sewage treatment plant must have a chopper in its initial processes, but the plastic makes it through without decomposing and back into the lake. Yeah butts are bad too.