Huge goby

misfish

This thing was huge. I have only caught them like 3-4 inches. This one was a good 6"-7" and fat. It wasnt the only one, but thought I would post this one. The jig is 1", so you be the judge. Might even be longer then 6"-7 ". How big can these things get?

friday%20june%205%2015%20001_zpsmc1k7dhm

Edited by Brian B

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_goby

" Round gobies range in length from 4 to 10 inches (maximum of 9.7 inches (24.6 cm), and in weight from 0.176 ounces to 2.816 ounces, increasing as they age. Male round gobies are larger than females. "

It's been 10 years or so since I fished, but never saw one that big, is that from Simcoe? Looks like a decent meal for a walleye or steelhead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_goby

" Round gobies range in length from 4 to 10 inches (maximum of 9.7 inches (24.6 cm), and in weight from 0.176 ounces to 2.816 ounces, increasing as they age. Male round gobies are larger than females. "

It's been 10 years or so since I fished, but never saw one that big, is that from Simcoe? Looks like a decent meal for a walleye or steelhead.

Yes Paul, Simcoe.

It,s the Barrie Marina.

You can see many of them in the smaller size every where.

I was very surprised at it,s size and fattness.

All the ones I saw on Lake Erie seemed to be between 3-5 inches long, but I am sure there had to be bigger ones around Brian. I have no clue, does Simcoe have access to the great lakes for fish to migrate? Or were those from carelessness with a bait bucket?

You can head from lake O and get to simcoe doing the trent system. If Im not mistaken, it,s do to the bait bucket brigade and also from boats transfering unwashed. Im not 100% on this, but have also heard they have been here longer then we know, just that we are seeing more and more of them now. I know on Erie they are stupid crazy. Probly why they brought out the plastic goby baits to use there, and why slammers work so well on Simcoe for bass on a drop shot rig.LOL

Edited by Brian B

That. Pups feed a family of 4

Would you believe 2

Would you believe 2 sea gulls and a shore fisherman.

Would you believe, a hungry farret (might of been a mink) that was licking his chops and saying, I,LL TAKE IT. End of that goby life.

Edited by Brian B

Congrats on the new PB! LOL

I caught one about that size thru the ice this winter. The perch seem to like them......and the lakers and whities too.

S.

I was going to post PB, but though NOT. LOL

back when we were kids we would catch them and cut off the body and cast the head back out my buddy got a four and a half to five pound largie to smash it two feet from shore one tme in hamilton harbour....and if you cast the heads ot it doesnt take long before they start to movecatfish pike bass etc