Some Spring SLABBIN'.

Moosebunk

They're fun and tasty yes It's all rather crappie and I get it.

When the float drops, the crank stops or the jig pops over and over and over again, one can't help but grin. For some years reading about spring online crappie reports from a place in the north, I'd honestly sit and wonder what the big deal is..? These are panfish eh? They are panfish. Only Freakin' PANFISH And yet to a serious some who love 'em, they're worth going to war over. Well, I myself wouldn't ever call in poop troops for craps but... I would call some friends aboard to enjoy 'em.

During spring I'd say crappie fishing is pretty well the southerner's equivalent to the northerner's walleye. If given the choice, personally I'd rather peg 10 to 50 bigger walleye over double that in 20 to 100 craps any day, but when you can't get that kinda local gold action, the craps really do make for a pleasurable alternative.

Before the first trip out on this 2015 softwater, while at the bench tying laker jigs, the fingers got excited enough to spin a couple patterns liked for craps. After doing that, there was now a really good reason to get out the ultralight set-ups and wet the boat. Early season around here; this year like recent others, I took a couple full days and a couple short afternoons to pound on a couple hundred of these prolific pannies. It was easy-peasy and quite the joy for myself and friends. That's what crappies are about ... And being on the water in May fishing anything really, that's hard to beat too.

B-01_zpstv1piln0.jpg

New greenery at it's finest.

B-02_zpsnhabgyxb.jpg

400 year old crappie eater.

B-03_zpsyol1gxym.jpg

Threesome of slitherin' love.

B-04_zpsp9raukjf.jpg

Rusty Craw & Oh Canada.

B-05_zpswoaw7hts.jpg

First outing afternoon warm-up.

B-06_zpsdxhosiu1.jpg

Slay day with my old hockey and highschool friend Paul.

B-07_zpspgdx3qqm.jpg

Salmon Simon up from the south for a cold front hot bite.

B-08_zpsybyekt6x.jpg

B-09_zpsqrbylm1y.jpg

B-10_zpslgbc1frj.jpg

Now with laker lakes opening up, gar still in mid swing, maybe a little bass and skis come their openers and some big summer work and fishing vacations to prepare for, a plan is to take on those other things and put the crappies to rest ti'll next year.

Much more fishing to come, always is. Enjoy your season.

Bunk.

Oh Canada, nice!

Do you ever get skunked Bunk? Seems like you catch everything that swims. I'll give this one a "very cool"

Made them both a little big Chris for under the float, they did better casting out.

I did forget to add one other "morning" fish I squeezed in for crappies. So I guess it was two full days and three half days. On that other day I did take a skunk. Was trying a new waterbody from the float tube, caught OOS bass, bluegills and one crappie. That crappie I lost tube-side though... so I took a skunk on the intended species. This year I've had a few misses for sure.

You sure do a lot of fishing

Everyday logged since 2002. It's absolutely ridiculous my friend.

Sweet stuff Drew, I've yet to catch a crappie :) My day will come (although I suppose you actually have to fish for them to catch them :) )

Joey, they're quite easy in the spring. Locate them and it's usually a slay, and usually they're easy enough to find.

Awesome pannies. Sometimes I wish we had them up here, but the walleye slays help to remedy the pain lol

Stick with the walleye if you have to choose. lol.

Another great Bunk report complete with artwork. We miss our April Crappie feed here. Our spot was a Marina down the lake and it is now locked up like Fort Knox complete with 10' fence. Guys were going in there and leaving all sorts of crap (a pun) laying around, the back breaking straw I was told by the owner was the year they broke up a dock to make a fire. Arse wipes.

Oh yeah,

I can't read the small print to be sure it's what I think it is, but I've got an Imperial shirt in yellow. Imperial is a little harsh but those tie dyed, hippie sunsets in Mal Pais blew my mind.

Yes man! Imperial it is. Down there some years ago with Bren I bought two. Milked one of them to death. In any reports (and some still) I'm wearing a black T with the Imperial dragon logo. Down there last year bought five more and haven't worn a few of them yet. Beer is OK.. but the shirts are like $5 so why not load up on them eh?

Another great Bunk report complete with artwork. We miss our April Crappie feed here. Our spot was a Marina down the lake and it is now locked up like Fort Knox complete with 10' fence. Guys were going in there and leaving all sorts of crap (a pun) laying around, the back breaking straw I was told by the owner was the year they broke up a dock to make a fire. Arse wipes.

Seems when people find a crappie spot there's almost always some sort of drama that ensues. Up around Ottawa some years ago it was Petrie that made for issues for one local bully and some kids... Silly. And I too remember fishing the closest lake to me one evening and banging 'em good, keeping only 16 for the table though. Wasn't 24 hours later I was booted off a website because it was the straw that broke one crappie God's back. lol. It was his spot and I needed permission for it I guess... That night there'd been 3 other boats go through there. lol. Week or so later, my buddy and I were in there again with 6 other boats fishing craps. All those other people had nothing to do with me or who I talked to... one fella I hadn't even met before did ask us if we had permission from the same so-and-so to fish there. It's public water man! My buddy and I just laughed about it, but it's funny how some people just go retarded over crappies... and in your case, the crowds literally come and ruin the fun in a totally different way.