Can't back up a trailer? Ford has an answer for that...

Gerritt

ha ha ha ford seriously needs to get back in the game with building reliable trucks again..After the eco boost failure now a gimic like this..I just shake my head and smile..

ha ha ha ford seriously needs to get back in the game with building reliable trucks again..After the eco boost failure now a gimic like this..I just shake my head and smile..

You forgot the all aluminum F150 Dorf came out with. Let's see how long that last before it quietly goes away.

I don't have problems backing up a trailer also (except the short ones) but I can see where this would be useful when you get your partner to do the backing, who may not be as skillful. This happens in tournaments when fishing pro/am events and the amateur isn't used to your rig. I think it's innovative.

Memorial weekend is always an experience at the launch, but it was actually at the launch parking lot this weekend that I witnessed one of the dumbest back-up deals I've ever seen. I was taking care of some stuff in my boat when this guy pulls up towing a boat and tries to back his boat between two trucks. I thought he must have a camera because his passenger just sat in the truck. Nope, he raked the entire side of a brand new Ford Platinum F150, all because he was too lazy to get some help. Therefore, with this level of incompetence around, the Ford back-up deal had better be idiot proof. Needless to say the owner of the truck was irate.

I would have lost it!!!!

There are no docks where we launch at various lakes. I usually fish with my pops. We have a good system.

Off to the side to take off the boat cover and load the boat.

Once ready and she unstrapped, one of us launches the other guides(althoigh its not really needed much)

One hops in the boat, fires it up and pull up off to the side while the other goes and parks. Takes no time at all.

If im luanching on my own, same process but i get out and use the rope to pull the boat aside.

Gets ya launched good clean and quick and the launch os open for others in about a minute or two

My brother and I have it down pretty good as well. It's funny though if something is not done in order how it throws off the rest of the process.

True enough!

Im not gonna lie, its still unnerving launching in a tourny with 400 onlookers lol

Anxiety time hahaha

In the tech and our vehicles vain: Volvo says horrible "self-parking car accident" happened because car didn’t have "pedestrian detection" option

Owning a car that parks it's self, priceless. Owning one that doesn't run people over, $3000 extra.

Video

http://boingboing.net/2015/05/26/volvo-says-horrible-self-par.html

Edited by kickingfrog

I would have lost it!!!!

There are no docks where we launch at various lakes. I usually fish with my pops. We have a good system.

Off to the side to take off the boat cover and load the boat.

Once ready and she unstrapped, one of us launches the other guides(althoigh its not really needed much)

One hops in the boat, fires it up and pull up off to the side while the other goes and parks. Takes no time at all.

If im luanching on my own, same process but i get out and use the rope to pull the boat aside.

Gets ya launched good clean and quick and the launch os open for others in about a minute or two

These are the posts we need to see more of and encourage more of ! ! !

If I have said it once I have said it a million times........launch fee should be dictated by how much time you use to launch that ugly boat you towed down there.....I say $5 for the first five minutes and then at least $2 for every minute or partial after the first 5 minutes........NOW we will see if dumbbutt has his crap together at the launch and hopefully knows what he's doing... :)

IF NOT.......at least they are sublimating our launch fees.......... :) .......now I have more money more more important things like BAIT ! ! !

Edited by Mister G

If I have said it once I have said it a million times........launch fee should be dictated by how much time you use to launch that ugly boat you towed down there.....I say $5 for the first five minutes and then at least $2 for every minute or partial after the first 5 minutes........NOW we will see if dumbbutt has his crap together at the launch and hopefully knows what he's doing... :)

IF NOT.......at least they are sublimating our launch fees.......... :) .......now I have more money more more important things like BAIT ! ! !

Would like to comment to this, but then I said to self,why bother. OMG REALLY

Better yet, those can do it right should be getting paid to launch there. :worthy:

put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. easy. its reversing the steering, without reversing it. its a brilliant mind trick my driving instructor taught me 16 years ago.

Sounds like it might be a good trick but I don't quite understand. Even though your hands are on the bottom of the wheel, the same movement of your hands----either to the left or right---will produce the same type of rotation of the wheel ----either CW or CCW. What am I missing here? Thx

Sounds like it might be a good trick but I don't quite understand. Even though your hands are on the bottom of the wheel, the same movement of your hands----either to the left or right---will produce the same type of rotation of the wheel ----either CW or CCW. What am I missing here? Thx

If your hand is on the bottom of the steering wheel then the back of the trailer moves in the same direction as you move your hand. If your hand is on the top of the wheel, the trailer moves in the opposite direction of your hand.

Some people may find having the hand on the bottom of the wheel more intuitive.

Not every boater has the same skill set. Try backing up a trailer and you are dyslexic. Talk about a panic attack in the making. On the other hand there are ignorant asses out there like the guy on the Grand on Sunday, 45 minutes just to back down the ramp after he butted in front of me and refused help from others waiting. I practiced in the shopping mall parking lot with a seasoned trailer hauler for hours one night. Like Golf and Fishing the more you practice the luckier you get. I can not back up a trailer without turning around. I have tried for hours at a time. A long haul trucker told me you go ahead and do it however works best for you. I even tried taping cardboard over the rear window, no way no how am I able to do it as well as turning around. I am like a Pit Bull with a bone. I practiced on night shift for many hours and eventually was able to back up a welding machine, but, I had to turn around and see what I was doing.

The trick I was shown or I read it here maybe is to put the right hand on 3 and the left at 9 on the wheel. Think of "up" as the action or positive. If you go up with the right, the trailer goes right, up with the left the trailer goes left. If you can't see the trailer in the mirrors you are going straight. And saying it out loud really helps me. Easy peasy nice and easy.

Every year for it's entertainment value we go to Hoovers Marina in Nanticoke on the Saturday morning of the Pottahawk bash at Long Point Bay for breakfast. I could submit videos of the carrying on to America's Funniest Videos and win for sure. Then we go for supper there on Sunday to watch them try and get their Dad's 35 foot Cigarette boat back on the trailer hung over like a bunch of grapes. It is an absolute blast and now an annual event, it's the only 2 days you need a reservation for the place. Many of the young women forget to put their clothes on by accident or maybe not. More than one person falls into the water hammered trying to get out of these boats. It can be scary when they do that between the boat and the dock for sure. I could write a book. This year I need to video tape some of these guys, then someone here can post it for me.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

And none of us were first timers I guess? :ninja:

Yes, we were all first timers but even then I knew enough that the boat should be READY to launch once you back into the launch lane. You should not be loading that ugly vessel on the ramp because the ramp is for only two things, launching and retrieving not loading and dilly dalling around like your the only one who needs the launch.......... :wallbash:

I don't know how many times, while waiting in line; that I've got out of my truck, walked past all the idiots honking their horns and complaining and help or try and explained why everyone is so angry. At first the guy in need of help or education refuses the help; but I say it's my help or (pointing to the line up) their abuse? I've actually have made a few new friends that way.

Dan.

The joys of living in the north.

Every once in a while there will be somebody already launching when I get there, and every once in a while somebody will show up when I'm pulling out, but, being as there are 2 ramps, it doesn't matter.