Kawarthas Walleye Bite

captpierre

Was out on Rice from 8-1 Saturday with nothing but a couple out of season bass and some pesky perch. Didnt see a lot of catching going on but I only hit a couple spots so certainly not the whole story (though those spots have never failed in May before).

Edited by TbayBoy

Did the Kawartha lakes opener last weekend and did great for eyes !!! Also did the Haliburton opener for eyes too this weekend and did well too lots of big walleyes over the slot last weekend and all had to go back it's been a workout trying to get a few in the slot for a meal !!!! I am looking forward to a few days holidays I have Comming up in a week or so and can get out during the week and should be even better fishing as it won't be a weekend on the kawarthas and most if the gong show will have gone home .....

fished Monday landed 9 and 4 of those fish were on a gammie stinger hook tied to the back of the bucktail, via 30 pound power pro, all fish were caught on hair, on both 1/8ths and 1/4s, that was my maiden voyage, as I fish steelhead up to that point, but am off next week water temp was 64.7 when I put in, and 66.2 when I pulled out. most of the fish were upper end in the slot skinnies, 18 to 19 inch fish, with 2 under, and 2 over

Sturgeon has been giving me a butt whooping.

You aren't alone, I have talked to quite a few locals that tell me the bite on Sturgeon this year is MUCH slower than normal. Most of them feel that the super low water levels have really played havic with the walley and I have had a few tell me the crappie bite was very different and in some cases they just weren't where they would usually be, again because of water levels.

I havent tried sturg for walleyes yet, but the crappie fishin sucked this year for me!

Crappie fishing in general was not good at all for me.

The walleyes have been good so far though, I cant complain.

S.

You aren't alone, I have talked to quite a few locals that tell me the bite on Sturgeon this year is MUCH slower than normal. Most of them feel that the super low water levels have really played havic with the walley and I have had a few tell me the crappie bite was very different and in some cases they just weren't where they would usually be, again because of water levels.

Same deal on buckhorn. Crappie weren't where they usually are in any numbers, and the pickerel we really had to work for. The last 2 years have been fantastic. I think the low water levels just upset the apple cart a bit. Thats fishing!

goofy weather patterns have the most effect imo some tactic changes for walleyes were in order but the fish are there lack of weeds and cold water makes it tough but doable. crappies were where i looked for em and there still on the beds as of sunday

I have found it tough after the opening day. Water is low, cleared up in most spots and very little weed to target cover. Went out last night and caught one in the slot, 3 under and some massive perch for Pigeon Lake.

I do think the constant pounding of the usual crappie spots is having an effect on the success this year. This is my opinion, but how many fish can be taken before you see a decline. Sounds like most people want that to happen anyway.

Edited by jimmer

they should put a +12" slot for craps, being cold water fish they dont grow as fast as people think they do...

but ya tough last weekend on rice for eyes saw the bug hatch, crappies however have been consistent and yes not in the "usual" spots

Tried Scugog last weekend. What a disaster. You can really see the effect the fishing pressure has had on it. Not a single fish.

Carp are going like crazy, you have that bow yet? Could of nailed them last weekend!!

S.

Finally got the " Bassassin" in the water after doing a slew of PM and a new steering cable on it for the last 2 weeks. We tried for the elusive Grand River Eyes below the Dunnville Dam to Pt. Maitland. After trolling a selection of hardware, bottom bouncing Lindy Rigs and drift jigging plastic for a few hours we were rewarded with a 12" young Pic. Trolled a few different body baits out onto the lake and found some fish on the Humminbird but no takers. They may have been a scattering of Perch or some very tired post spawn female Smallies. Not many folks were out either the river or the lake but it will be a Zoo this morning I would guess. I'll tell you all something, what a beautiful and fantastic afternoon and early evening it was. Everything on the boat worked, I can steer with one finger almost with the new rack and pinion set up and I got some colour on my pasty olive hue skin. Some fish may have been nice but fish or no fish we are blessed just to be able to get out on the water. Some of my fishing buddies can't even get in and out of a boat any longer. Some because the bodies are done for and a few because they passed over the winter and they are no longer are with us. So I count my blessings.