That was a little freaky

spincast

Well, 2015 is definitely presenting me an interesting spring.I was away last weekend, so missed all the action on O as the first hot weekend of the spring came on, and between family commitments and other obligations, wasn't able to launch today till lunch hour. Not expecting the best fishing, I was hoping to find a fewer greasers hugging the mud to pass a few hours away. Driving down the QE the skies were occasionally lightening their load of high humidity with those heavy, brief rain outbursts. No biggie, me thinks. Got the gear, got the stand up and I haven't melted yet so probably wont today. We get the boat all set and are the only folks there. Mothers day? I'll take not having to watch the usual circus of in and out mayhem :)

We head out to 50 FOW and start to set up with our game plan to head to 120 and back seeking the bulldog feeding grounds. As the first dipsey starts to click out the distance, a few whiffs of fog blow by.

15 minutes later, when we are all set and ready to relax to the gentle sound of water across the bow, we can barely see the planer board 30 foot off the port side

RIMG0566_zps0cr5rmcr.jpg

I have heard of people being out on the water when a fog rolls in and how disorienting it is - this is the first time it has happened to me - and I have a really good sense of direction after decades of driving for a living. It was spooky - looking down at the chart plotter and its telling me I am going in a direction completely the opposite to what I thought. We trolled around hoping the fog would dissipate, but it just got thicker. And If I took my eyes off the chart-plotter or compass for more than a few minutes, when I looked back we were off course again. After a bit, we pulled in the lines and started up the main motor, and ran in at about 6 mph, trying to see anything. Watching the chart plotter and depth, I knew, finally, after the most zig zag course, ever we were right on the harbour, but couldn't see it. If you are familiar with Jordan - you know how close this is. This is when it finally became visible. It was like those movies whee the big boat comes out of the fog and it is right on top of you. The breakwall was disturbingly close.

RIMG0573_zpsfqiejv7u.jpg

some random views as we headed back

RIMG0570_zps4tyzh6rz.jpg

RIMG0578_zpshy2n0uav.jpg

needless to say, no slime today.

Then just as a final insult - we get home to partly cloudy skies, sunshine and high humidity. I am now convinced that MOTHER nature was giving me a subtle hint, even if I had explicit permission from my other half for the outing today. Dinozo slap to the back of the head. No wonder I got no hair left there.

Better go start the roast on the BBQ spit.... where did I put the mother's day card......

I was out in similar conditions last year except we had 1m waves to go with it, there was two of us so we had 2 dipseys and 2 riggers out and we could hardly figure out which way we were going.

We would hit a fish and next thing you know we are going with the waves again. Its pretty erie not being able to see anything anywhere.

3630F5BF-6F34-4021-A69C-D7308F0E58B4_zps

This is a pic from before the fog got real bad, once it was thick you couldnt see 50 ft away

Edited by Gallie

It's when you don't trust your electronics or compus in those situations that you get into BIG trouble but it sure can be hard to do when you feel like it has to be wrong.

I had a compass Cliff,knew which way was west.I was more afraid of me running into someone else with the motor running and not hearing anyone.Sorta like a whiteout,do you keep moving or stop?.Sure hard on the nerves.

You wanna talk about fog! Ran the electronics all the way out, couldn't see a thing.. Wasn't worried too much about other boat traffic in this place. Was a bit unnerving but the fish co-operated.

IMG_1709_zpsbed158a7.jpg

Edited by BillM

Yes it can be nerve wracking for sure !!! Been there done that many times !!!! All the years of charter boat fishing and many times long before GPS and chart plotters only had just a compass and watch the depth finder as long as we were getting shallower we were getting closer to shore !!! Glad you made it in safe we were out in the blue zone on e time about 10miles out and a super cold upwelling of cold water came to the surface we could see it rolling in about a half mile away and within 15 mins were were in a fog bank so thick we could not see past the front of the boat .... And the weird thing is the fog was maybe 100 feet high if that as we could see the sun above us threw the fog but could not see anything else !!!! It took us several hours to get in and wa worried about other boats and ships and we were almost in the shipping lane !!!!! We did see a sailboat and could hear people talking in the distance as well !!!! Should use your horn every minute or so then listen !!!! But yes it's scary !!!!!

We had the same thing on and off all day fishing out of Wellington. Always worried someone won't see us coming in too fast. Salmon aren't in but the trout came out to play. We managed 11 between 5-15 lbs. Lots of fun and practise till the salmon show up.

We had that happen to us twice now, and yes, it is scary and disorienting.

First time was on the lower Niagara, we were doing our drift and could not see either side of the shoreline, Canada or US. We figured we were heading back to the ramp and then we almost hit shore and realized we were on the total opposite side, the US side.

The second time was up at Nipissing and we were heading from Lakair to Muskrat Bay. We could not see a thing and went slow as molasses, watching for shorelines and rocks. Since we've done that trip a million times, we made out okay, but had we not done it so many times I think we probably would have aborted the mission.

Glad you made it back to shore safe and sound. It sure is an eerie feeling when the fog is that thick.

One of my biggest worries was the sailboats. There are some really large ones in this part of the lake, and most of them white. As for hearing them I have poor hearing to start, and even if they are under power, with the little motor, all the way out the back they are pretty well completely silent, at least until it is too late. And if they are under sail - same thing. We passed a 30 footer coming in as we left the harbour. From the stern wheel house, even if the rest of the boat wasn't in the way, there is no way they would have seen us. and with the little visibility there was, while the chances were slim, had we met up, it would not have been good. 3 miles from shore, 0 visibility, 50 degree water and my son in the boat. The fish will have to wait for their picture perfect opportunity for one more week (hopefully that's all they have to wait) :)

Rick,I can remember very clear of a day on lake O many years ago. We were heading in not out when it rolled in. Out of no where there was this sail boat. I ,ll bet there was a foot no more, between us and the bow when we seen it. My buddy rammed it into reverse real quick. We were just at a snails pace thank goodness. That there, is some scary chitz.