The new Ontairo Pension plan

Big Cliff

These types of people have very low standards of living

And that's the problem Rick, she thinks she has a great life, just sit around on her fat lazy azz watching TV all day while the rest of the country works to pay taxes to give to her.

And that's the problem Rick, she thinks she has a great life, just sit around on her fat lazy azz watching TV all day while the rest of the country works to pay taxes to give to her.

Yeah thats crappy Lew.

Its no way of life IMO.

Youd have no choice to be lazy and get fat cause you cant afford to go do anything lol.

And bill I agree, some people truly need it and thats what its there for.

I know of a few that take full advantage of the system, some do need it and I'm OK with those. The best story was when this parent took their kid down and got them signed onto the "program". When the first cheque came in they were all so proud of the kid. :wallbash: :wallbash: Still gets my blood boiling when there is absolutely no reason for this kid not to be working somewhere. I just don't get it. :glare:

I worked in the Social Service office for 5 years and would not enjoy living on the income that is provided. The problem is that we hear more about the fraud and "lazy bums" than we do about the other 99% of clients. I quit the job, now second guess myself almost 20 years later with no pension plan.

In regards to the Ontario Pension Plan. Got nothing good to say about it when someone thinks they can handle my money better than I can. What a scam. I see job losses and service cuts because of it. I'm not saying that we all don't need more in retirement if you don't have a company pension, but I'm not sure I can handle less income per week to pay my present bills.

Between the increasing electricity rates, and more to follow once she sells 60% of Hydro, the new cap and trade scam, and now the pension plan that will cost employers an extra 2%, we shouldn't have to worry about much industry in this province. No one would want to keep their business here.

But the latte sippers in Toronto will get their transit and other goodies.

I can agree with that. I own a house with my brother which is now paid off 5 years after buying it, but with the way the realty market has gone (in Hamilton at least) If I got sick of my brother and wanted to buy the same house I have I would have to pay roughly $130,000 more, definitely out of my price range!

Ok, the idea of my post was to find out if seniors were finally going to get a break but I guess that was just too much to hope for. I was born here, lived and worked here all my life, served my country, paid taxes, and contributed to the CPP since it's inception.

I am now 69 years old and couldn't possibly live on the combined Old Age Security and CPP combined. Now I have worked since I was 16, always paid my taxes, never drew welfare, but I look at our politicians and see that they only have to serve two terms and they get a penson for life that is at least 4 to 5 times what I get a month (probably more). Why/how do they get away with this? Two years ago I watched some friends that had to decide between eating or keeping from freezing. Some had to use their credit cards to get them through the winter, our politicians squander billions and go "oh well"!

The Ontario Pension Plan will start up and people who contribute will receive the benefit. The Canada Pension Plan is not enough for people to live on. Many provinces have been trying to convince the Federal Gov't that Canadians should contribute more so they can get more. The Federal Gov't would have none of it so some of the provinces are starting to start their own provincial pension plans. Personally, I would prefer if we contributed more to the federal and just had 1 pension plan.

Anyone who hasn't contributed to the plan will not get the benefit of the plan, and rightly so. I am having a hard time getting my head around someone who is currently retired who thinks they are entitled to benefit from a plan which A. Is not even in existence yet and B. They have not contributed to.

When this plan goes through if they somehow decided to pay people that are retired and have contributed nothing to the plan then my head would be spinning. They won`t though because that is not how pensions work.

The Ontario Pension Plan will start up and people who contribute will receive the benefit. The Canada Pension Plan is not enough for people to live on. Many provinces have been trying to convince the Federal Gov't that Canadians should contribute more so they can get more. The Federal Gov't would have none of it so some of the provinces are starting to start their own provincial pension plans. Personally, I would prefer if we contributed more to the federal and just had 1 pension plan.

Anyone who hasn't contributed to the plan will not get the benefit of the plan, and rightly so. I am having a hard time getting my head around someone who is currently retired who thinks they are entitled to benefit from a plan which A. Is not even in existence yet and B. They have not contributed to.

When this plan goes through if they somehow decided to pay people that are retired and have contributed nothing to the plan then my head would be spinning. They won`t though because that is not how pensions work.

What about all the money I contributed to CPP all these years? If that money had been invested responsibly I wouldn't have to work just to keep a roof over my head today.

I am more than willing to bet that 20 years from now that all you younger guys will be in the same boat and they will come up with a "new" pension plan so you can have enough to live on in your final years. I'm also willing to bet that Whinnie the POO and her cronies won't be worring about where their next meal will be coming from!

CPP and a new Provincial Plan are not the same. The money you you put in the CPP went to the CPP. How would you expect to get a cheque from a different plan

If a provincial plan starts then we start contributing now. When we retire we will get our CPP and our PPP. We will have contributed to both and received benefit from both.

The provincial plan is not replacing the federal plan. You still get your money from CPP, the plan you contibuted to.

If I go at 60, my retirement date is December 30th 2036. It falls on a Monday, I have already told my boss I won`t be in on the Friday. Should I choose to go to 65 my retirement date is on December 30th 2041. It falls on a Tuesday and I have already notified my boss that I won`t be in on the Monday.

In either case the money I am depending on is a very healthy multi-employer pension plan where I invest much more and will receive much more. Way better invested as well. That`s what I am really banking on.

I'll be glad to have another employer-matched pension plan. 100% immediate return...how many investments give you those returns, guaranteed??

I don't know all the details, but if it's managed properly like CPP, then it'll generate steady and secure returns. I like doing my own investing, but I'm fine with having my investments immediately matched.

CPP is about 4.5% employee contributed, and 4.5% employer

OPP is said to be 1.9% employee and 1.9% employer

I haven't had a cigarette in 3 months. In the first 10-15 days of each month I save approx. the equivalent of what my OPP contribution would be. Peanuts.

At some point in time, we'll see the OPP rolled into the CPP.