Trent Severn Water Levels

Sinker

The Gull and Burnt watershed lakes are all on the rise..they're back to at worst the historic low levels for this time of year and many are moving up to the historic average, so there's still hope...some rain each day in the Haliburton weather forecast this week.

It's not even at the safe navigation levels yet on the graphs at parks canada !!!!!! I'm really suprised those guys can find their own way to work in the morning !!!! It's how clueless they are !!!!! We are atill waiting for the non- existant snow pack to come down from Haliburton !!!! That's one excuse they told me !!!! Hahaha ...... THERE IS NO SNOW OR WATER IN HALIBURTON EITHER !!!!!!! There is NO water Comming from anywhere .......

Wow, I guess that using a whole bunch of exclamation points passes for informed debate :rolleyes: I know some of "those guys": some of the nicest folks you could hope to know, and they take their work very seriously. Easy to sit and slag them from behind your computer screen, with virtually no understanding of the conditions that led to what is happening right now. They have "no win" jobs: if they hold water back, the folks downstream moan about the lack of water. If they let water through, the cottagers on the upper lakes moan about their lake being low. If the rivers are running high in the spring, everyone in Minden starts panicking, remembering the big flood. No matter what they do, someone wants to call an inquiry.

Wow, I guess that using a whole bunch of exclamation points passes for informed debate :rolleyes: I know some of "those guys": some of the nicest folks you could hope to know, and they take their work very seriously. Easy to sit and slag them from behind your computer screen, with virtually no understanding of the conditions that led to what is happening right now. They have "no win" jobs: if they hold water back, the folks downstream moan about the lack of water. If they let water through, the cottagers on the upper lakes moan about their lake being low. If the rivers are running high in the spring, everyone in Minden starts panicking, remembering the big flood. No matter what they do, someone wants to call an inquiry.

Well, being nice folks is no excuse, sorry.

The conditions we had this spring were VERY easy to predict. No rain in the forcast, and below normal snow pack....it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Someone was sleeping at the switch.

S.

Well, being nice folks is no excuse, sorry.

The conditions we had this spring were VERY easy to predict. No rain in the forcast, and below normal snow pack....it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Someone was sleeping at the switch.

S.

If there's a shortage of water there's not much Parks Canada can do to fix it. So far the feds are unable to control the weather, although Harper is such a control freak he probably has folks working on it.

Yes, we are down a bit from summer levels on Sturgeon Lake, at least it is coming up slowly. What is the right answer? Do you drop the water levels thinking that the melt and rain will cause a dump of water in the system or keep the levels higher and hope that a fast melt and dump of rain won't flood out homes and cause millions in damages! Levels were low this spring but I didn't hear of one faimily loosing everything they had to flooding because some idiot didn't let the water out soon enough!

It's easy to whine, try predicting the future!

So, who let all the water out if it wasnt Parks Canada??

S.

There are two sides to the equasion. Water inputs, and water outputs. If the inputs are down, there may not be much they can do.

For Toronto, I don't recall having one single significant rainfall so far this spring. We have had a few light showers, but nothing significant. I also don't recall getting any snow in January. Has the rest of Ontario had similar weather?

If Toronto is any indication, the water inputs from snow melt is well below average and the water inputs from spring rain has been virtually non-existant.

Lake Ontario levels are also way down from pervious springs.

I think the issue may be a lack on inputs rather than an excess of outputs.

Your aim was a bit off when you blamed the prov gov't though!!

Naw. I think I've got it nailed down tight. If there is an issue isn't it up to the provincial minister in charge of that portfolio to raise an alarm to his federal counterpart? Are they not entrusted to serve on behalf of our best interest(s)?

The economic challenges the world has endured not withstanding but these bozos have done more to turn this once great province upside down in just over a decade than previous governments in Ontarios' history.

When teaching anal sex to elementary students and selling beer in grocery stores is front page news it doesn't take a school trustee to do the math. Better yet scratch the school trustee doin math. She and those of her ilk (nothing to do with her sexual orientation) are a big part of everything that is wrong with Ontario right now. Hope this clears the water a bit.

Edited by moxie

Was on Paudash yesterday and everything was normal, was on Dalrymple today and everything was normal for this time of year as well. Apparently the great lakes are higher this spring then they have been in years. Looks like the only issue is with the Trent system because everything I have seen on that has been crazy low. With all the flooding the past few years I can understand them letting more water out in the fall by February they knew the snow level was way down so they should have restricted the out flow sooner

Naw. I think I've got it nailed down tight. If there is an issue isn't it up to the provincial minister in charge of that portfolio to raise an alarm to his federal counterpart? Are they not entrusted to serve on behalf of our best interest(s)?

The economic challenges the world has endured not withstanding but these bozos have done more to turn this once great province upside down in just over a decade than previous governments in Ontarios' history.

When teaching anal sex to elementary students and selling beer in grocery stores is front page news it doesn't take a school trustee to do the math. Better yet scratch the school trustee doin math. She and those of her ilk (nothing to do with her sexual orientation) are a big part of everything that is wrong with Ontario right now. Hope this clears the water a bit.

huh?? :blink:

There are two sides to the equasion. Water inputs, and water outputs. If the inputs are down, there may not be much they can do.

For Toronto, I don't recall having one single significant rainfall so far this spring. We have had a few light showers, but nothing significant. I also don't recall getting any snow in January. Has the rest of Ontario had similar weather?

If Toronto is any indication, the water inputs from snow melt is well below average and the water inputs from spring rain has been virtually non-existant.

Lake Ontario levels are also way down from pervious springs.

I think the issue may be a lack on inputs rather than an excess of outputs.

Thiss system iis controlled by dams. They knew in march there was no snow pack to melt, but still left the logs out of the dams.

Hopefully the rains do the trick.

I understand its a tricky job, but after working in water resources, its not hard to figure out.

These guys have LOTS of resources when it comes to calculating run off and melt. The only irradical is weather, and I understand its unpredictable, but why is it they seem to screw this up EVERY year???

I will admit, it could be worse. Flooding is never good, and neither is releasing water to leave fish spawn high and dry.

I guess we'll see if they can open the locks by May 15th.

S.