Replacing boat floor... Progress report

mike rousseau

Since you already have the pressure treated wood I would just isolated the contact points using some FREE material you probably already have laying around your house, plastic.......old milk containers or other plastic type bottles, containers placed between the wood and support brackets will out last the boat.

I'm guessing you don't store this boat inside and that's why the floor rotted. Have you taken a closer look at the transom as that is usually the next thing to go on a aluminum boat that is stored outside. This new floor will easily outlast that transom and by then you might be in the market for a NEW fishing machine.

I think ventilation is the key. The guy who put floor vents in, that was a great idea. We got soaked in the boat on Wednesday, and yesterday I yanked the cover off and opened all the hatches to make sure it dried. I'm thinking of redoing the boat I just bought in vinyl eventually. There is nothing wrong with the carpet now, so no rush but If I do it I'll definately install a couple of vents. Looking forward to seeing the final product!

• 3 weeks later...

Jobs done

I undead up staying with the pressure treated... I coated it in urithane and sprayed the boat with a rubber spray...

So I guess time will tell if that was a good move or not...

The pics I have don't have the seats in yet but I got them in yesterday... I was able to move the seats to a WAY better location... New tillers are longer then old... Now my tiller won't hit my seat...

Evrything went very well and the results were better then expected....

Used vinyl and glue from cabelas... After glueing we wrapped the vinyl around 4-6 inches all the way around and stapled it underneath...

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

looks sharp! well done

with regards to the foam, my boat has taken on a lot water before I installed a float switch on the bilge pump...I'm planning to redo my floors soon, how do you test the foam? I would imagine the surface would appear dry, do you drill to the center to check for moisture? I think pouring foam might be a smarter idea for my boat

You have done a wonderful job Mike, a very professional finish. It looks like you can have a dance in the boat and still have plenty of room to fish.

Someone mentioned removing the factory foam and leaving it out. I am a firm believer that the foam not only provides floatation it acts as a stiffener for the hull as well as a shock absorber for a stable quieter ride and lessens vibrations that may loosen rivets over time. It can take in many hundreds of pounds of water even with closed cell isostyrene, granted, but given enough time and ample ventilation it will dry out. If time is an issue the foam can be removed and the foam replaced. I would not remove it without replacing it. Removing wet foam is no easy task though.

looks sharp! well done

with regards to the foam, my boat has taken on a lot water before I installed a float switch on the bilge pump...I'm planning to redo my floors soon, how do you test the foam? I would imagine the surface would appear dry, do you drill to the center to check for moisture? I think pouring foam might be a smarter idea for my boat

You could chip of a piece and see if it floats. I know I had a piece of foam come loose and end up in the bilge; it sank. My whole boat sank shortly after that.

I would definitely want some foam or other floatation in there. Hopefully you never need it. But if you do, you (and your family) will be glad it it there.

If you are replacing the foam, you could consider adding empty two liter pop bottles with the caps on.

Edited by JohnBacon