I'm confused

lew

Let the police do what they are trained for.

I don't want to see a armed soldier pulling a gun out,

pointing it at a civilian, because that person perhaps looked shady.

How would that be any different than the standing guard mounted daily at Buckingham palace? They are armed and ready to do their duty, yet there are no random or questionable shootings, or skewerings. There are set rules of conduct and engagement, and they are far tighter than the rules of engagement followed by police here in North America.

Yes, different cadet program

I was referring to this article, following a public complaint...I don't think kids carrying guns in a ceremonial purposes is a "bad image"....I wonder how many of these kids play violent video games or watch violent movies?

"The rifle issue came to the attention of Navy League officials two years ago after an instructor in Oshawa, Ont., travelled on public transit carrying a bag of drill rifles. A member of the public saw a barrel sticking out of the bag and called police."

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/not-a-para-military-organization-navy-cadets-to-stop-using-replica-rifles-over-bad-image-of-kids-carrying-guns

Navy League and DND had long time ago put distance tween themselves. They now do not use live round target shooting, as one example. It has been a long time since when your cadet corps officers held the Queen's commission. You have lots of Civilian Instructors instead. A friend of mine spent his last 2 years as a commissioned naval Lt., as the DND cadet liason officer for the region when the links with DND were being gradually severed. It had to happen. You cannot hand over military equipment, weapons and ammunition, access to resources, etc.... to civilians.

Navy League and DND had long time ago put distance tween themselves. They now do not use live round target shooting, as one example. It has been a long time since when your cadet corps officers held the Queen's commission. You have lots of Civilian Instructors instead. A friend of mine spent his last 2 years as a commissioned naval Lt., as the DND cadet liason officer for the region when the links with DND were being gradually severed. It had to happen. You cannot hand over military equipment, weapons and ammunition, access to resources, etc.... to civilians.

I understand and agree with all of that, we're not talking military equipment, weapons and ammunition, access to resources, etc...

we're talking replica rifles used for drills and ceremonial purposes...I don't personally consider a 10 yr old kid with a gun a bad image, whether it be learning at a rifle range or dressed in a cadet uniform

if the reservists on guard aren't armed, then there should be a permanent police presence guarding them....I think it's naïve to expect Canada to be immune for further threats, it's inevitable, especially when we back the US overseas

we're talking replica rifles used for drills and ceremonial purposes...I don't personally consider a 10 yr old kid with a gun a bad image, whether it be learning at a rifle range or dressed in a cadet uniform

Agreed 100% and it's sad the way political correctness gets in the way of so many good things.

I was in Navy League Cadets in the 50's, Sea Cadets in the early 60's and then the Navy. Rifles were always used for ceremonial purposes & parades and I don't ever remember it being an issue back then or anyone complaining about the guns.

I was even in uniform in the late 40's but I was too darned little to lift a gun...me on your left and my bro on your right.

Cnv0005.jpg

Edited by lew

How would that be any different than the standing guard mounted daily at Buckingham palace? They are armed and ready to do their duty, yet there are no random or questionable shootings, or skewerings. There are set rules of conduct and engagement, and they are far tighter than the rules of engagement followed by police here in North America.

One can't compare apples to oranges.

The vast majority of British police officers do not carry firearms on standard patrol.

As these two countries have totally different cultures when it comes to policing,

again in my opinion,

Let the police here do what they are trained for.

I don't want to see a armed soldier pulling a gun out,

pointing it at a civilian because that person perhaps looked shady.

One can't compare apples to oranges.

hady.

Actually apple to apple. No difference tween a Grenadier in front of Buck Palace or an Argyll on the HIll. Same service . Same loyalty. Same duty.

Whether you wish to accept it or not. Canada is involved in an undeclared war. It is neither intelligent or right to allow our service personnel to play the part of clay pigeons for the Jihadists while they have a free hand inflicting harm when and where they will with impunity.

I understand and agree with all of that, we're not talking military equipment, weapons and ammunition, access to resources, etc...

They were replicas, but all the general public sees is a weapon and you are inviting a 911 call to the police. On the average John Q. Public tain't too bright. The replicas should have been transported in a better manner and fashion such as a weapons crate.

I was a sea cadet and reservist. I do not see a cadet doing ceremonial drill as a bad image, nor small arms training at the range. That said, when drill or parade was done, weapons were immediately stored and away by the numbers.

We did not use dummy weapons. As cadets we carried Enfields with spiked bayonet. CPO and guard PO carried a duty cutlass. There were no weapons incidents or accidents because weapons handling was heavily regulated and controlled by commissioned officers.

10-4 on that one Lew, just another stupid way of doing things! When the people that are trained to fight for their/our country have to be protected by the police 2+2 just doesn't make 4 anymore. Guns without bullets; they might as well be carrying a fishing rod!

Agreed!

Watching this mornings news they say it's gonna cost $425,000 to have cops guarding the soldiers.

I just don't get it, we have well trained soldiers with empty guns being protected by the Ottawa Police when all it would take would be to let the soldiers do what their trained to do.

Sometimes I just have to shake my head at the way things are done in this country.

Wow! Quality spending

But it's good PR for the politicians. Pity there isn't a single real patriot and nationalist sitting in parliament.

Over in the Middle East we have to stand up and be counted, but at home we're expected to roll over and cower.

But it's good PR for the politicians. Pity there isn't a single real patriot and nationalist sitting in parliament.

Over in the Middle East we have to stand up and be counted, but at home we're expected to roll over and cower.

Totaly agree...

And around here you cant even say nationalist without someone replying "what are you an nazi"? Lol frig

Edited by manitoubass2

Yes military personnel are well trained for battle situations; kill or be killed. They are not trained as an individual but as a part of a unit; a unit that follows orders to the tee. So now lets send this one well trained soldier (who hasn't scratched his ass without permission for years) out, in the public with a loaded gun. Their last official order was, protest yourself if you feel threatened; I wonder how that would play out?????

Dan.

Yea, I here ya, flowers and doobies ought to sort out the terrorists and nutbars well enough.

Sometimes its better to look at the root causes of stuff rather than constantly treat the symptoms. Would you rather change your diet or take medication for your diabetes for the rest of your life? Maybe we should look into rehabilitating people rather than locking them away and having them stew in their own angst for several years. Not saying they shouldn't be punished, but you can't just lock someone up for an extended period of time and expect them to come out as a functioning member of society. These people get to this stage in their lives for a reason. They feel like outcasts or they feel like they don't have a purpose. Joining ISIS or any other terrorist organization definitely gives them a purpose. Look at the Nazis in WWII. Hell, look at the rest of the world at that time. We just thought we had a more noble cause.

But no, the easy answer is to arm everyone and shoot or imprison anyone who looks suspicious or dares to believe in the wrong god... Because that makes us think we're safe.

I don't want Canada to become a place like our neighbours to the south where everyone lives in fear and everyone thinks they need to carry a gun everywhere they go. Trust me, I'm definitely not anti-gun, but I also think guns as self defense is a really poorly thought out idea.

I don't want Canada to become a place like our neighbours to the south where everyone lives in fear and everyone thinks they need to carry a gun everywhere they go. Trust me, I'm definitely not anti-gun, but I also think guns as self defense is a really poorly thought out idea.

Well said! :clapping: