I'm confused

lew

I heard on the news today that Canadian Soldiers have returned to guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier for the 1st time since the murder last year.

What I don't understand though is they will still be carrying weapons with NO bullets as always and the Ottawa Police will be patrolling the area to keep them safe.

Never could understand why we have soldiers with empty rifles, especially after what happened last year, yet the police are armed.

If the soldiers were armed when they were attacked at the Cenotaph it may have had a much happier outcome.

Anybody agree with me ??

But if the other soldier was able to kill the terrorist right away he wouldn't have had the chance to get into the Parliament Building and put others at risk too.

We're living in different times now and soldiers are a target.

Soldiers are here to protect us and with empty guns it's gonna be hard for them to do.

Edited by lew

10-4 on that one Lew, just another stupid way of doing things! When the people that are trained to fight for their/our country have to be protected by the police 2+2 just doesn't make 4 anymore. Guns without bullets; they might as well be carrying a fishing rod!

Pretty hard to "Stand on guard for thee" with an empty weapon.

I've long since come to the conclusion that our governments no longer have the "backs" of our services. I would certainly do all in my power to dissuade any member of my family from enlisting.

Edited by bigugli

well considering navy cadets will no longer do rifle drills, I wouldn't expect to have actually armed guards on duty

No offence, but kids doing rifle drill for parade is a big difference from professional soldiers with empty guns unable to do the job their trained for.

This country is going to pot. I tell ya, we're nothing but a bunch of whiners anymore. Its making me sick. Sad really. Its been a long time coming, but its about time we stand up for ourselves and do whats right.

Those soldiers guarding is nothing but a show. They're really not guarding anything.....just there to make it look good.

S.

There isn't a difference though, this is a ceremonial post.. It's just like a parade. They aren't supposed to be armed and I doubt they ever will be.

Even the guy in charge says it will never happen. Soliders aren't here to protect the public, that's the job of the police.

To be honest, it sucks to even debate this topic. I wish someone would have run over those gutless punks over and let them bleed out in the street.

No offence, but kids doing rifle drill for parade is a big difference from professional soldiers with empty guns unable to do the job their trained for.

I don't think it's very far off...it's perceived image...public doesn't like the look of kids with guns, those same people don't want guns in public

anti gun and anti hunters cause more uproar than the pro crowd

Yes guarding the Cenotaph is ceremonial but it's been proven now that soldiers a target with the murder in Ottawa and a few days before that the soldier in Quebec being deliberately killed with a car.

Not looking to start an argument here, just giving my opinion.

I thought the same way before speaking to a military officer in Hamilton. The James St. Armories where Cpl. Nathan Cirillo's unit is out of is 1/2 block from the social club where I am a member and several of the soldiers out of there stop in for a coffee. I asked that exact same question to a few military officer's that stopped in the club around the time of this trgedy. They all said they do not want any soldiers especially reservists with live ammunition in any civilian areas unless in the time of war. If a firefight broke out with a member of the military on Canadian soil and an innocent member of the civilian population were ever injured or killed, he called it collateral damage, it would put the military back decades. The military spends millions on public relations because a strong favourable opinion by the public results in loosening the purse strings by polititians for military budgets.

Imagine the public outcry if any civilians were killed that day or any day in fact by any soldier let alone a reservist? I know reservists are just as qualified, most civilians might not.

Doesn't it always come down to the mighty $.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I heard on the news today that Canadian Soldiers have returned to guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier for the 1st time since the murder last year.

What I don't understand though is they will still be carrying weapons with NO bullets as always and the Ottawa Police will be patrolling the area to keep them safe.

Never could understand why we have soldiers with empty rifles, especially after what happened last year, yet the police are armed.

If the soldiers were armed when they were attacked at the Cenotaph it may have had a much happier outcome.

Anybody agree with me ??

I can definitely see your point. Perhaps they just don't want armed soldiers in our cities (which I can understand) and are not willing to make an exception for those guarding the cenotaph.

most unfortunate is these rights and freedoms people they say they have earned, those same rights and freedoms they try to use to trample others down were won by a soldier. most people should shake a soldiers hand if not get down and kiss there ass for providing us with the freedom we have today.

Back in the 80's was the first time I went to Italy. After landing in Rome I was quite surprised and it was un nerving to see all the military personnel armed with automatic weapons held across their bodies in a public place. That might have been the first time I ever saw a real "machine gun" let alone someone carrying it. Europe had been dealing with terrorists for many years by then, the Brigada Rosa was targeting public places often then. Terrorism was something we saw on the news from other places, not here in Canada. The only terrorism here that I can remember as a kid was the FLQ murder and kidnapping.

well considering navy cadets will no longer do rifle drills, I wouldn't expect to have actually armed guards on duty

They were part of the Argyll's (or at least Nathan was) and the girlfriends younger brother is in the Argyll's at 16 and he is doing live fire drills and battle scenarios as well as gas attacks and other biological warfare scenarios

They should be armed as a soldier is always trained to be ready !!!! Times have changed and so should the thinking ?? I agree Lew I think there should be more if a military armed presence and to let any terrorist know we won't stand for that crap anymore !!!! And like you said maybe if they were armed when they were attacked the outcome may have been different ?? At least they would have had something to fight back with !!!! Even if it was pistols ?? At least arm them with those !!!! It makes me upset to think that they are guarding a sacred place and not armed !!!!

They were part of the Argyll's (or at least Nathan was) and the girlfriends younger brother is in the Argyll's at 16 and he is doing live fire drills and battle scenarios as well as gas attacks and other biological warfare scenarios

Yes, different cadet program

I was referring to this article, following a public complaint...I don't think kids carrying guns in a ceremonial purposes is a "bad image"....I wonder how many of these kids play violent video games or watch violent movies?

"The rifle issue came to the attention of Navy League officials two years ago after an instructor in Oshawa, Ont., travelled on public transit carrying a bag of drill rifles. A member of the public saw a barrel sticking out of the bag and called police."

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/not-a-para-military-organization-navy-cadets-to-stop-using-replica-rifles-over-bad-image-of-kids-carrying-guns