Question for the Hyunadi and KIA drivers launching boats

tb4me

Not much difference to choose from. I have driven the Kia for 2 weeks while my truck was in the shop (long story) and it was a great small SUV. Personally I would pick equally equipped models of Kia and Hyundai and take the one you can get the best deal on!

I would never own another kia. Ever. The warranty looks great until you need it. We had one that blew the motor at 40K and they did nothing to help.

S.

Got a buddy that had similar issues with Subaru.

He and his wife both bought new vehicles and had regular maintenance done here in town (no Subaru Dealer here) and they had engine issues under warranty. One had a minor issue and they wouldn't repair it under warranty. His wife's vehicle had a major issue (defective timing belt that broke bending valves and causing $4500 worth of repairs. Same deal, wouldn't cover it under warranty because it had not had all of it's service @ a Subaru dealership.

He ended up trading both vehicles in and buying from a dealer here in town and will never buy another Subaru and he tells all that will listen about his experience.

He and his wife both bought new vehicles and had regular maintenance done here in town (no Subaru Dealer here) and they had engine issues under warranty. One had a minor issue and they wouldn't repair it under warranty. His wife's vehicle had a major issue (defective timing belt that broke bending valves and causing $4500 worth of repairs. Same deal, wouldn't cover it under warranty because it had not had all of it's service @ a Subaru dealership.

He ended up trading both vehicles in and buying from a dealer here in town and will never buy another Subaru and he tells all that will listen about his experience.

I have a friend that had this exact same experience with Jeep.

They're all crooks,it's sad.

I blew up a turbo forester twice before I learned my lesson lol

S.

hyundai and kia same company and from what I've seen fom owning 2 hyundais they have been good cars my tiburon had 527000 km when destroyed in a accident and current accent has 115k no issues other than a wheel bearing under warranty.

I've had a couple jeeps that had chrysler reject warranty claims on, something about submerging and hydrolocking engines, if your gonna sink your rubicon i suggest a snorkel not a cold air intake.

as for most warranty claims its up to the car company not the dealer, a decent dealer will go to bat for a customer and try to get warranty claims approved but in the end its to the manufacter who approves it.

For everyday use, you will save money. For towing I don't think it will make much of a difference. I used to have a Chevy Avalanche....bigtime gas guzzler. To tow the boat to St Clair and back would cost me $120. If I just drove the truck to St Clair and back without towing it would cost me basically the same. The truck did not know the boat was even there. When I got rid of the Avalanche we got a Caravan. Awesome I thought! And it is WAAAAYYY better fuel economy if I am just driving and not towing anything. I could drive to St. Clair and back and it might go through $50 in fuel. Less than half the price of the Avalanche...BUT...put the boat behind there and just watch that Caravan suck up the gas....I swear I can see the needle literally moving. Cost to tow with the Caravan to St. Clair and back? Basically the same as towing with the truck...over $100 for sure. Long story short, towing with the truck had minimal impact on fuel economy, towing with the van cut the fuel economy in half. Sorry to burst your bubble. You will see improved day to day costs, but put the boat back there and you will still be opening your wallet big time.

I tow with a 6 cyl 2009 Hyundai Tuscon front wheel drive. My boat is probably 900lbs plus trailer and I've never had an issue at any ramp. Only time I ever had an issue was on wet grass at my cousin's cottage. Gravel, paved and even on sand beach has been great with no issues.

13towvehicle.jpg

Edited by ccmt

I would never own another kia. Ever. The warranty looks great until you need it. We had one that blew the motor at 40K and they did nothing to help.

S.

Curious as to what excuse they had for not covering a blown engine after only 40K

Well, 3000km after an oil change, the car burnt itself out of oil. My ex didnt have the reciept for the oil change, so they threw her to the curb.

If a car with 40k on it is burning all its oil after 3000km, there is a serious problem!

Wasnt my car, and the ex wife and I were kinda in thhe middle of getting separated at the time, so I diidnt get involved.

This was the kia dealer in oshawa. Taunton/stevenson rd.

S.

I had completely the opposite experience - maintained the Sante Fe at the dealership, opting to pay the premium just in case something wnt sideways because I have always been a high miler, blowing through mileage warranty periods in a year or a little more. I paid for the timing chain change at 90,000 per the maintenance manual. at 124,000 - 24000 after the end of warranty- the timing chain let loose and the 0 interference engine did a self destruct. The dealership that did the timing chain was no longer a Hyundai dealer, and basically told me to pound salt. I took the receipts to our local dealer in Brantford (where I had originally bought it) , who went to bat for me. Hyundai paid for all but 120.00 of the repairs on what was an almost 3k bill.

Sinker - your experience was bad - but really, without proof of that oil change, and being done at the dealership I am not sure any dealer of any vehicle would have accepted that cost?

And to the OP - I pulled my dual console 16 footer for a year (after the events above - before that I used them Sierra) with the the Sante Fe for a year. It could do it, and managed all the ramps fine (including Fishmasters and Port Burwell if you are familiar with those), but it worked, really hard, and I didn't feel that long term it would have been able to handle it. Fuel use went through the roof when it was on too. I use the same fuel with the Ridgeline as I did with the SF

Edited by spincast

These thread are always interesting and as usual there are a variety of opinions on most manufactures, one guy loves his Hyundai and Kia`s the other hates them, my wife loves her Kia...I can`t stand the stupid thing!!!

I work for a Chrysler dealership and I can tell you a few stories about customers and their issues and claims...we had one guy a few days ago have his jeep towed to the store with a blown engine 2014 Wrangler less than 20 k`s on it guy wanted a new engine under warranty problem is he got some wanna be mechanic to change is oil unfortunately this bozo forgot to put fresh oil in the vehicle before starting it. These two clowns try to concocted some silly story to claim a manufacturing defect...naturally our service manager told them to pound salt!!!

Everybody has there personal preference when it comes to vehicles I happen to love my Jeep do I wish it had the fuel economy of a Corrola of course I do....will I ever buy a Toyota,Honda,Kia,Mazda,Hyundai etc. highly unlikely!!!!

Love all the input here..Keep in mind I wont be towing it anywhere other then from my driveway to my boat launch about 400 yards away..If I want to bring the boat home Ill use the Ram hemi 4x4..Looks like were leaning toward the 2015 KIA Sorento Ex ..The price was too good to pass up. Just working on financing as we speak..

i would consider any hyundai/kia a disposable vehicle.. either drive it till it dies or get rid of it after a while and only get one if you get a good deal. they don't seem to last as well their competition be it compacts or mini-uvs. just my opinion. and that's not to say i wouldn't get one for my commute if the right deal came along (I put on roughly 50k a year) knowing full well that it'll be beat in a couple of years.

Edited by Raf

While I can't testify about the Hyudai... I can say I am very happy with our Sorrento as a daily driver... I don't have a boat to tow anymore, so I was unable to comment on that.

But I know the features and extras you get are far better then Hyundai...

Congrats on the new car!

The Hyundai's have good reliability... The girlfriends father drives from binbrook to ajax every day in and around 140k each way he's at 375,000 on an 09 elantra with just regular maintenance other than the auxiliary plug quitting once under warranty. Part of the reason I bought mine

goodluck with your purchase hope it serves you well.

Don't be to worried about quality one of hyundais commitments the last 15 years is to overshoot toyota and they have come close or beat them in some areas. (toyota also noticed and wanted to tour hyundai/kia facilitys) no the ponys and stellars of old thatsfor sure.

follow the maintenance schedules for it it will last well over 500k

i would consider any hyundai/kia a disposable vehicle.. either drive it till it dies or get rid of it after a while and only get one if you get a good deal. they don't seem to last as well their competition be it compacts or mini-uvs. just my opinion. and that's not to say i wouldn't get one for my commute if the right deal came along (I put on roughly 50k a year) knowing full well that it'll be beat in a couple of years.

Used to feel that way Raf. That's why we leased an Accent a few years back. 3 close friends had them and loved them but I was still unsure. The lease was bullet proof. In Nov 2005 we bought a brand new Accent. It still is my wifes daily driver. No issues whatsoever just regular maintenance. And so far I am loving the Santa Fe. A co worker has a 2009 Tuscan that has over 400KM on it without any problems. If you look after them they seem to have became a pretty dependable drive.