Poor Man's Filet Mignon (NF)

solopaddler

This thread made me hungry so I ordered a lamb and a half a pig today. Already have a cow in the freezer. I take my BBQ serious. I always put some salt on my beef and bring to room temp before cooking. Honestly...find a farmer guys. Beef 4 bucks a pound. Pork. 2.5, And lamb 5 bucks.

This thread made me hungry so I ordered a lamb and a half a pig today. Already have a cow in the freezer. I take my BBQ serious. I always put some salt on my beef and bring to room temp before cooking. Honestly...find a farmer guys. Beef 4 bucks a pound. Pork. 2.5, And lamb 5 bucks.

\

This, consider that the slaughter house buys from the farmer, and sells to butchers for a profit, then we have sell it for a profit as well, so you're paying 2 markups.

however, $4.00 /lb isn't that great of a deal, we sell a side of beef for $4.19/lb, hind quarter for $4.69/lb, AAA grade, Ontario, grass fed, grain finished, free range, all the good stuff, custom cut, custom wrapped, and frozen

Edited by FloatnFly

\

This, consider that the slaughter house buys from the farmer, and sells to butchers for a profit, then we have sell it for a profit as well, so you're paying 2 markups.

however, $4.00 /lb isn't that great of a deal, we sell a side of beef for $4.19/lb, hind quarter for $4.69/lb, AAA grade, Ontario, grass fed, grain finished, free range, all the good stuff, custom cut, custom wrapped, and frozen

I am just going to talk to our local butcher shop today about ordering some more pork bellies and a spring lamb. He trims the pork bellies nice and square for me and cuts them into about 3 lb slabs which is the perfect size for me to handle for making my bacon. Last year the lamb cost me $4.10 a lb cut and wrapped. I'll probably order about 9 lbs of pork bellies (not sure what the current price will be) (enough for one batch of bacon) and one or two lambs (they won't be ready for a couple of months because I insist on Ontario lamb) but I'll get my order in now. Since you are OFC do you want to quote me on it? You can PM if you prefer!

I am just going to talk to our local butcher shop today about ordering some more pork bellies and a spring lamb. He trims the pork bellies nice and square for me and cuts them into about 3 lb slabs which is the perfect size for me to handle for making my bacon. Last year the lamb cost me $4.10 a lb cut and wrapped. I'll probably order about 9 lbs of pork bellies (not sure what the current price will be) (enough for one batch of bacon) and one or two lambs (they won't be ready for a couple of months because I insist on Ontario lamb) but I'll get my order in now. Since you are OFC do you want to quote me on it? You can PM if you prefer!

cliff the lamb is a bargoon at that price. I paid 5.99 at Christmas last year, Ontario lamb.

Will get another for Easter. Fresh Ontario lamb is available most of the year.

I only buy 1/2 at a time and most of it is gone with 4 Son in laws around the BBQ having red wine /)

cliff the lamb is a bargoon at that price. I paid 5.99 at Christmas last year, Ontario lamb.

Will get another for Easter. Fresh Ontario lamb is available most of the year.

I only buy 1/2 at a time and most of it is gone with 4 Son in laws around the BBQ having red wine /)

I just ordered the lamb from a local farm just down the road from me, they have a local slaughter house kill, butcher and wrap it for me. $4.10 was last years price, I'll let you know what I get quoted this year.

\

It's from a family member I don't haggle. This year was tough just to get our hands on some stockers we had to travel from dunnville to st Jacobs , we ended up killing a cow that was only a year and a half old to put meet in the freezer. Might as well be veal. Still had the steaks cut inch and a half thick and boy are they good.

Seems interesting and worth trying at least. Tks for the idea Mike.

Another option to try is using kiwi fruit to tenderize. Half of one does 4-5 lbs of beef. Just don't leave it on for too long or your meat will get mushy. Works quick.

Cheers

Seems interesting and worth trying at least. Tks for the idea Mike.

Another option to try is using kiwi fruit to tenderize. Half of one does 4-5 lbs of beef. Just don't leave it on for too long or your meat will get mushy. Works quick.

Cheers

Yep, actinidin is the enzyme in kiwis. It works almost too well

all this work to make a crappy piece of meat taste good. Why not save up and treat yourself to wet aged rib eye and be done with it. i don't eat a lot of meat but when I do, I buy the best quality.

I have six kids and a brother in law living here.

Thats why, at least for me.

When i can its new york strip, thats what i prefer.

Its just saving money thats all.

just my opinion, not trying to hate.

No worries man. I didnt take it that way?

If I was single I would not worry about it one bit.

But with a big family a steak dinner every week or two can be a hundred bucks or so.

So we buy cheaper cuts when we need to, which isnt often since we almost always have moose, deer and we have shares in a farm that gives us a quarter beef as well

Edited by manitoubass2

all this work to make a crappy piece of meat taste good. Why not save up and treat yourself to wet aged rib eye and be done with it. i don't eat a lot of meat but when I do, I buy the best quality.

Because I eat meat for every meal.

Already costs me $135 a week in groceries just for myself.

If I ate $15 steaks for every meal I would never be able to afford to build my lakeside retreat!!!! :tease::tease: :tease:

TBH, we won't be able to come close to that price for lamb. it would around $6-$7/lb from us. However, since you're in Lindsay, give Little Britain Meat packers a call, who we buy our lamb from, they might be able to get you a better price buying direct from them. Its fresh Ontario lamb, and they have it all the time, we get an order every week from them. its some of the best lamb i've seen.

Pork bellies, I'm not 100% sure of off the top of my head, just because we don't sell a whole lot of it, Im thinking its around 12.10/kg, I will find out 100% tomorrow for you though

It's from a family member I don't haggle. This year was tough just to get our hands on some stockers we had to travel from dunnville to st Jacobs , we ended up killing a cow that was only a year and a half old to put meet in the freezer. Might as well be veal. Still had the steaks cut inch and a half thick and boy are they good.

Yea, would have been on the small side, but depending on how it was fed, would still taste just as good as a full grown steer! inch and half is little thick for my preference, I like inch to inch and quarter, however, the thicker steaks do cook up a little easier

An idea for the guys out Barrie way (though they service a large area) is nutra farms.

The guy I work with just got his order in about 3 weeks ago and won't shut up about the quality lol and I have to agree it does taste good from the samples I've had

All certified organic and they do a yearly meat order of your choosing with everything flash frozen and delivered to your door (with a freezer optional)

I would like to do it myself but the cheapest deal they have is the 2 person which costs $66/week (freezer included in that price) and in my current situation something that isn't for another couple years when I have a place of my own rather than living with 5 other dudes and 4 of them being renters

http://nutrafarms.ca/

Edited by Lucas F

Oh man all this talk about steak is making me hungry. I BBQ all year long. This is a method I have not tried. Will have to give it a go :)

When I buy cheap steaks I dab them with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper and into the fridge over night.

Once in a while, on special occasions, I get the dry aged black Angus beef from our local butcher.... best steaks I've ever had.

You steak lovers really owe it to yourselves to get a hold of a back strap off a 2-3 year old deer. It will put any steak you've had to shame. I aged mine for about 3 weeks, hands down the best meat I've had.

I cannot wait until November to stock the freezer again!