need lawn care suggestions and ideas

huzzsaba

I am currently renting a house with a decent size backyard and a small front yard. The agreement is that I will take care of the lawn etc. I have been in the house for 2 summers now and noticed there is a lot of weeds (the sharp prickly ones), and its bad enough that the kids don't want to play in the backyard.

I am looking for a cost effective method to tackle this issue. If you guys have any ideas, I would appreciate it. Hiring a company to come and do it is fine as well, but I would like to get your opinions first before making any phone calls and getting quotes. Or if there is a way to do this myself without breaking the bank, I am open for that as well.

And how long and how many times a week should the lawn be watered? And what time is the best?

By the way, the backyard is approximately 50 feet by 20 and the front is 20 by 6 feet at the most.

Thanks!

That works, but I might have to pull out half of the lawn since it is half grass and half weeds, unless there is a way to prevent them from growing in the first place through some method early in the season.

Anyhow, does the Scotts grass seeds work without having to throw dirt on it once laid down? I know we all watch the commercials, but would like to get advice from real people who have tried it.

Edited by huzzsaba

Ok, 50X20 = 1000 sq ft , not that big! The prickly kind are probably thistles, wear gloves, cut the root, pull it out. Then over seed with Scott’s or some other fast growing dense grass seed. Some weeds are good, they will hold the moisture in hot bright days where many grasses would die (actually just become dormant).

I never water my lawn and I live right on a lake, it might go brown in a really hot dry summer but first rain and it bounces right back. IMHO watering your lawn does more harm than good, I don’t fertilize it either, just mulch the grass when I cut it and I don’t worry about weeds (unless it’s thistles).

My neighbor hates me because I think dandelions are pretty yellow flowers that God gave me to make good wine, he thinks they are weeds. Dumb ass, likes the wine though!

Sounds like Canada Thistle. Perenial, deep rooted, and hard to control. The only effective control is Lontrel 360 made by Dow AgriScience. Not cheap and probably hard to come by in southern Ontario.

Edited by Old Man

Ok, 50X20 = 1000 sq ft , not that big! The prickly kind are probably thistles, wear gloves, cut the root, pull it out. Then over seed with Scott’s or some other fast growing dense grass seed. Some weeds are good, they will hold the moisture in hot bright days where many grasses would die (actually just become dormant).

I never water my lawn and I live right on a lake, it might go brown in a really hot dry summer but first rain and it bounces right back. IMHO watering your lawn does more harm than good, I don’t fertilize it either, just mulch the grass when I cut it and I don’t worry about weeds (unless it’s thistles).

My neighbor hates me because I think dandelions are pretty yellow flowers that God gave me to make good wine, he thinks they are weeds. Dumb ass, likes the wine though!

And..you can eat the leaves like salad. I tried them with a bit of dressing and they're amazingly good. :thumbsup_anim:

Sounds like Canada Thistle. Perenial, deep rooted, and hard to control. The only effective control is Lontrel 360 made by Dow AgriScience. Not cheap and probably hard to come by in southern Ontario.

Controlled herbicides require a license.

Any farmer in Ontario can get you some round up. Issue with it.. it kills what is currently green and something else takes it's place, but I guess anything is better than Scotch Thistle. Be spot on with the application as it kills the grass as well.

Any farmer in Ontario can get you some round up. Issue with it.. it kills what is currently green and something else takes it's place, but I guess anything is better than Scotch Thistle. Be spot on with the application as it kills the grass as well.

"Roundup" has been delisted as an agricultural herbicide according to the govt memo we got last year. Not available any more.

You need to find some " selective herbicide " This stuff just kills the weeds and not your grass and it is banned in Ontario

there for making it difficult to obtain but not impossible . Or you can go the "non selective herbicide" route with a product

like round up that is still available at your local Canadian Tire (bought some last fall) but this stuff will kill anything in its path

so be very careful with this stuff and never spray when its windy for obvious reasons . Once the weed is dead make sure you

put a spot of soil down with some seed . Good luck , thistle can be a real PIA to get rid of !

Rental from Home Depot might be 60 bucks for a a whole day

Really? Back in 84 when I bought my house and started a garden it costed me $60 then to rent a tiller here in Oshawa. Only paid it once...next season I had my own tiller. If it's still in the $60 ball park then that is one thing that hasn't kept up with inflation.

Edit...the $60 included a delivery charge. The buggers will get you any way they can :wallbash:

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Another suggestion and probably your cheapest option...just get a dandelion puller and take the time and pop all them thistles out. Probably take less then 30 minutes for that size yard. Do it once a month for the whole growing season. Thats all I do here at home. I have never put chemicals or fertilizer of any kind on my lawn. I have a vegetable garden and don't want anything ending up on my food. Sure I have weeds and some of them thistles too. We have peacefully co-existed with them until a few years ago. The boss likes to read in the side yard and ended up getting thistles in her bare feet more then once. So the side yard which is maybe 20 X30 has been declared a thistle free zone and it is my responsibility to keep it that way. Do it 2-3 times a year with my morning coffee in one hand dandelion puller in the other. I just have to keep an eye on it. Can't have my love goddess getting anything prickly in her feet :whistling:

Thanks for the suggestions. My question regarding herbicides like killex and roundup and others, is there a certain amount of time after spraying that the kids should stay away from the yard.

I have decided to try the weeder and grass seeds route first and see if that works. Now what type of seeds are easiest to use? I went to Wal-Mart and saw several brands. I will read the reviews, but looking for first hand experience.

Thanks guys!

What kind of seed to use is a loaded question. Depends on soil type, nutrient levels, amount of topsoil. Shade or sun.

Fastest growing mixes are heavy on blue grasses. Rye grasses and fescues are a little more durable.

Edited by bigugli

I can't quote Bruce.. but yah roundup probably was delisted... I'll have to walk out to the shop to see what the two new 5 gallon jugs are called that replaced it. Yellow instead of blue... same stuff...

It's still available under Round Up Transorb HC, Round Up Weather Max and Round Up Ultra 2 names, plus the many generic brands of Glyphosate (The patent protection expired many years ago). There's 3 million acres of RR Soyabeans and nearly 2 million acres of RR Corn grown every year in Ontario. It's definitely still available in updated formulations.

Edited by Old Man