need lawn care suggestions and ideas

huzzsaba

I can't quote Bruce.. but yah roundup probably was delisted... I'll have to walk out to the shop to see what the two new 5 gallon jugs are called that replaced it. Yellow instead of blue... same stuff...

There are a bunch of different glyphosates out there. We have been using Glyphos for general weed control outside the cold frames and grow house. Quite effective on nettles

My wifes second cousin's girl friends father (ya I have no idea who he is) can get me Round Up from the states.........haven't need it in the last 2-3 years but that shiat gets the job done....but it takes about 2 weeks before it actually kills all those NASTY weeds and trust it WILL kill them. Then slowly rake and add topsoil if it's easier....reseed and from now on us FERTILIZER and WATER the piss out of new grass when it's growing.....and even more once you have a established lawn.

For those who don't water or use fertilizer, I would LOVE to actually compare your lawn to mine. Do you think those beautiful golf course are left to fend for themselves or do you think they water & fertilizer the piss out them ? ? ? My lawn doesn't look like a golf course green, but it's damn close.

Overseed and water in fall and spring.

Healthy grass chokes out weeds. It takes time though.

Let your grass grow. Dont mow it constantly. Let it get 5-6" then mow it.

It takes a year or two, but chemicals are not needed, just patience

Edited by manitoubass2

Chemicals is not the answer. Just dig up the pest weeds and over seed in the late spring and early fall

Chemicals is not the answer. Just dig up the pest weeds and over seed in the late spring and early fall

AHHH

The Voice of Reason :clapping:

No-am not in the lawn industry but from personal experience--this is route i went-and living in Oakville @ the time

If the kidz Are old enuff-put a bounty--gloves on-on weeds

Better Lawns Thru Chemistry does work--can bugger up your soil too

Good Luck with it all

Paul

I copied the below from a site that supports pre-germination of the grass seed. It promotes faster rooting and more stable grass, during the first few weeks; out in the environment .

My dad (a tobacco farmer) always sprouted the seed, before seeding the greenhouse. Doing so it only took 2 or 3 days before you would see a green haze over the beds; without it took 1 or more weeks, before the seeds took and began to grow.

For the broadcast material/spreading media they speak of below; my dad used a mixture of cornmeal and vermiculite. The cornmeal was a binder and fertilizer as it decayed, the vermiculite helped hold the moisture in the seeded area.

Hope this helps?

Dan.

- Put just the amount of seed you plant to broadcast in a burlap permeable or nylon sack and set it in a canning kettle or other container you can cover. If you have no lid for the container or are using a transparent container such as an old aquarium, pre-germinate seed in a dark room.

- Fill the kettle with tepid (room temperature or slightly warmer) water and cover. If necessary, weigh down the lid until the sack of grass seed soaks up enough water to remain fully submerged. Keep your grass seed “incubator” in an area where the temperature ranges between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

-Remove the sack from the kettle each day and allow it to drain as you empty and re-fill the kettle with clean water.

- Check the seed each day when you change the water, beginning on the fourth day. By the sixth or seventh day, you will find little white shoots, called cotyledons, on one end of many seeds, signaling successful germination.

- In a large plastic tub, spread sand or compost across the bottom to serve as spreading media for your growing seed. While you’re at it, sweep out the garage and add the dust to the mix.

- Drain the sack of germinated seed one more time. This time, allow it to drain until no more water drips.

- Add the moist seed to the tub of broadcast media and spread it gently over the surface. Let it set for 30 to 60 minutes to dry the seed further, and then gently incorporate it into the spreading media.

- Broadcast the seed over a prepared seed bed and rake gently to distribute the seed evenly. Keep the area moist, as with any seeding. Your grass will begin to appear in a few days.

My wifes second cousin's girl friends father (ya I have no idea who he is) can get me Round Up from the states.........haven't need it in the last 2-3 years but that shiat gets the job done....but it takes about 2 weeks before it actually kills all those NASTY weeds and trust it WILL kill them. Then slowly rake and add topsoil if it's easier....reseed and from now on us FERTILIZER and WATER the piss out of new grass when it's growing.....and even more once you have a established lawn.

For those who don't water or use fertilizer, I would LOVE to actually compare your lawn to mine. Do you think those beautiful golf course are left to fend for themselves or do you think they water & fertilizer the piss out them ? ? ? My lawn doesn't look like a golf course green, but it's damn close.

Recipe for success :good: