Whats your worst fishing accident

LostAnotherOne

About 10 years ago a new member joined this board and posted that he'd just bought a water front home in the Kawarthas and was looking for someone to fish muskies with. I was only a few miles from him so I called him and we arranged to hook up.

I arrived at his house a couple days later, we did a bit of small talk then headed out. We trolled for 20 minutes then swung into a bay to do some casting and on about the 5th cast I got this girl. Trouble was when I reached in the net for her she swung around and ripped her teeth across the index finger on my left hand and tore it open bad enough that a pool of blood was rapidly forming around my feet.

I wanted a picture of the fish but the problem was this boat had a white vinyl floor and I was quickly making it look like a war zone. Anyways, the picture was taken, the fish was released unharmed and my finger was wrapped up and then I cleaned up the boat.

I'd only just met this guy less than an hour ago and didn't assume he was too impressed but we became good friends and often laughed about it later on.

You can see the blood on my left hand :lol:

Cnv0077.jpg

Lots more to these stories but here's the highlights:

1.Capsized a 12' tinny at 1am fishing in front of the nuke plant on Lake Ontario.

2.Paddling solo north of Armstrong I dumped my canoe in heavy rapids on the Misehkow river - lost a lot of gear.

3.Travelling across Lake Muskoka in the middle of the night my snow machine went through the ice in over 100' of water.

4.In the midst of a 2 month solo canoe trip in Quetico I almost completely severed my thumb using a swede saw to cut firewood.

5.Was trapped on the roof of a cabin for 21/2 days on the lower Winisk River by 3 polar bears.

6.Fishing a small river for trout I jumped off a rock ledge onto a slab of concrete 6' below and my right foot landed smack dab on a chunk of rusty rebar embedded in the concrete that I didn't see. It went through the sole of my boot right through my foot and out the top of my boot.

7.Was swept over a dam in November while wading at the top into some heavy white water. Lost pretty much everything and was banged up pretty good.

There are many more, but those are the ones that pop to mind.

Okay, Mike wins. I'd like to hear more about the polar bear story :)

Okay.

I was in the midst of a really long 3 month solo canoe trip and was on the lower Winisk River maybe 10km's upstream from Peawanuck and the coast of Hudson's Bay..

In the middle of the night I was awoken by some loud noises and peeked outside my tent. There were 3 polar bears in my camp tossing my pots and pans around. They were between me and my canoe so I couldn't make a break for it. They also knew damn well I was in the tent - they kept glancing over at me.

Bear in mind my panic level was rising, I had no firearm and there were no trees to climb.

I put my shoes on then when they looked preoccupied I slipped out the back of my tent through the vestibule and started running upstream, FAST. I had passed a small cabin the day before and knew it was about 1/2km upstream from my campsite.

I made it to the cabin in the dark with no light, expecting to be pulled down by one of the bears at any moment. Raced around the cabin in a panic and couldn't get in - it was boarded up like fort knox with thick heavy plywood over the windows and doors with nails sticking out to deter bears. I grabbed the eave and managed to dead lift myself up to the edge of the roof then pulled myself up onto it. Within 30 seconds all 3 bears trotted into the clearing. At any given time over the course of the next 21/2 days at least one, sometimes all 3 bears were siting there in the clearing staring at me. There is zero doubt they would have eaten me.

I was starting to get weak and was desperate to make a move when a freighter with two natives came from upstream. At that point there was one bear in the clearing. They stopped, looked at the bear, looked at me, then burst out laughing. The guy in the stern pulled out a rifle and fired a couple of warning shots scaring off the bear. Then they helped me into the boat, gave me food and water and brought me back to my camp.

Amazingly my tent and canoe were undamaged but all my pots and pans were crushed and littered with puncture holes. They helped me pack everything up, gave me a pot and small pan to use and I went on my way.

Took me a good week to recover from that physically. Mentally I was pretty freaked out especially at night until I was far enough away from the coast. Finished that particular trip in Sioux Lookout 11/2 months later with some pretty amazing stories to tell...

I was fighting a decent sized pike on a canadian wiggler and when he jumped and spit the lure out it hit me square in the face, 1 treble pinched my eyelid to my cheek and the other was buried in my face below it. Im not a patient man and i proceeded to gently remove the eye hook by hand and had to use pliers for the one in my cheek. To this day it is rare to see me fish without shades.

I got caught on simcoe outside of cooks bay in my tinny when a violent storm rolled through and barely made it back to shore.

I have had several pike get my fingers at one point or another but a particularily bad one happened on a fishing trip when he got my whole thumb in his mouth and shook which shredded the skin and flesh right off, i wrapped that up and dealt with it at camp as best i could that night.

When i lived in coldwater there was a smaller river up the road from me and i went through the ice, i was completely submerged and it took me close to 5 min to break the weaker ice away to climb out. I then had to walk almost a mile home which led to hours in the tub trying to keep frostbite and hypothermia away.

That may seem like a lot but ive got many more too, not to mention the stories i could tell of injuries and close calls to friends as well.

Anyone who says fishing isnt a risky business at times is dead wrong. As long as you have water underneath you there is always the possibility of trouble.

All you can do is be prepared for the worst and take steps to avoid potential dangers.

this is an almost accident- Whitewater Lake

My stomach turned and I didn't have long to get to a toilet. Full throttle, we did a Baywatch style beach landing and I ran for the nearest cabin. I thought I was home free, flung open the bathroom door and there's a sink and shower, no toilet. I run out of the cabin towards the outhouse but had to stop on the trail.

"Mike, if you're taking the trail, don't stray from it"

I'd like to hear more about Mike's polar bear dip in 100 FOW???

Buddy and I were fishing in a canoe for bass. He made a bad cast. Felt this "whomp" and then this orange and brown rubber worm with a sinker came into view hanging down over my left eye.

The 3/0 hook was embedded into my forehead past the barb. Tried to pull the hook out but it would not budge.

We had to pack up and head in to the Minden hospital. The doctor removed the hook and added it to his collection which hangs on the office wall under glass.

They've gotten a few hooks from my family, self included, over the decades.

Jeez Mike, that's scary stuff, glad you made it out okay and the couple (who snickered B)) helped you. Seems they may have seen that a few times before, or just like we watch TV, they have real life "Survivor" to deal with all the time :D !!

So the much anticipated weekend has arrived......I'm goin' up to the kawarthas to meet and greet some fellow OFC'ers. Big Cliff is first on the list. He sends me detailed directions....I have a GPS. Need I say more? Yes I do. I plug his address into the GPS, it finds it no problem at all. So up the 115\35 I go. I recall that I need to drive to the first light, la de da de da, I drive PAST the exit for 35 to Lindsay 'cause there is no light to be seen as of yet. When I get to the 7a exit I'm thinkin' (a rare thing for me), I didn't think I needed to drive all the way to Peterborough.....This is at 6:30 in the morning, Cliff said that he is up at 5 am every morning so I reluctantly decide to call. I wake up his wife, (an incredibly warm woman BTW), and she gets out of bed and goes to the top of the driveway into the shop and lets Cliff know that I need directions. (All of this time my GPS is telling me that I need to go back, but, NOOOOOOOO I know better because I remember the directions that Cliff gave me. Well to make a long story shorter, I managed to find his home, (nestled right on the shore of Sturgeon lake), and sat down to a coffee, while waiting for Beans, my fishing partner for the day. We laughed about my misadventures on the way up, and put that down to experience.
Beans arrives, introductions are made, equipment compared, anticipation of a good day is in the air. The downpour had stopped, the sun was out, life is GOOD! So, off to the launch we go, the launch went smoothly, Beans is in my, (yet to be slimed), boat, with no trouble at all. I park the van and trailer, make my way to the boat, fire her up and help Beans into the dodge van captian's chair that I had mounted on the front bench seat of my 14' narrow beam boat. Now, a word about Beans.....Besides being one of the nicest and most worthy of respect men that I have had the pleasure of meeting, he is also an very experienced fisherman. He's gotta have 30+ years of experience on me. As well, he is a large man, in heart and goodnature as well as girth.
OK here is the situation, an older, robust man sitting on a seat that is elevated 8 inches above the gunwales supported by a 10" circular base fastened to a fiberglass bench seat . The base is 12" high. Nothing wrong with that picture, right?
So here we are on the lake; Beans has pulled in two perch, I am still waiting to get a bite. I ask Beans how he likes the seat, "It is very comfortable" he says. I am curious as this is the shakedown cruise with the new seat. I believe him and envy him as it does look very comfy. Beans leans back as he says this, and to my abject, unaldulterated, complete HORROR! he continues to lean back and back and into the drink he goes! I still have a vivid mental image of Beans' head entering the water, he completley upside down, still seated in the chair, legs kicking vainly in the air for some type of purchase, with a look of absolute shock and surprise etched into his face.
Now at this moment in time I am thinking that I have killed him, he is going to drown, and it is my fault. So I do what any reasonable man would do, I panic. Thankfully he does not. Beans makes his way to the surface clutches at the side of the boat, and says something to the effect of " That was interesting", and I am thinking how the *(*%*)%((*#$%# am I gonna get him back in??????!!!!!
Fortunatly there are two men nearby in a bass boat, I call them over and they CALMLY get us cooled off, well Beans was already cool, he was IN the water after all, and get Beans into a life jacket, haul him into their boat, and transfer him back to mine. They were the true heros of the situation, regretably we did not get their names.
(So if you recognize this situation, and lurk the board, THANK YOU!!!!!!) If you are members here, stand and be counted.
During all of this Beans is concerned for me, because he can see the huge impact that this has had on me. I am not doing well....
Need less to say, that was the end of the outing.

And now the turnabout, "cause that's fair play...

Old Ironmaker and I had arranged to hook up for perch last Saturday. We met at the appointed time in the appointed place, got introductions out of the way, transferred rods and tackle into his boat, and down the road we went. Destination Port Burwell. Upon arrival it was scene out of traffic nightmares...in the space used for 6 truck and trailer combo's there was 20, we get lined up to launch, enquire about minnows, none to be had. Well shucks we can't launch without bait, made inquiries and found that there were minnows available just down the road. So off the Port Stanley we go.

The launch at Port stanley was amazing! Ten bucks to launch, and they have a young fellow to help with your bow lines, hold your boat, whatever needs to be done. We were very impressed by the service here. Minnows were 5 bucks a scoop and quite a few in a scoop as well.

Down the river we go to the perching grounds. Two clusters of boat to choose from , we get to a respectful distance and anchor. While fishing for perch, (they were on smoulder but we did OK), it happens. The anchor rope wrapped around the locking latch and released the seat base. Base of the seat comes out, I fall backwards and perform a less than graceful backwards cannonball into the SIXTY TWO degree water. I can only imagine the look on my face as I tumbled over the edge of the boat. I felt my sunglasses slip of my face and start the downward journey to the bottom of erie. Made a feeble attempt to grab them, but missed due to the fact that I was more concerned with getting to the surface than saving my glasses. Make it to the surface, grab the gunnel and there was a conversation regarding getting back in boat, made my way to the back of the boat and climbed up the boarding ladder. Handy things i tell ya! Offers to return to shore are made, declined, squeeze out the water in my shirts and return to fishing.

The ensuing conversation included a reference to this story, as I told Old Ironmaker about it and now, as a result, Norm can see turnabout comes to those that wait. I still feel bad about what I did to you Norm, it was absolute foolish design on my part that put overboard. If this case it was a simple error in tie-off of the anchor rope.

All's well that ends well, as they say.

this is an almost accident- Whitewater Lake

My stomach turned and I didn't have long to get to a toilet. Full throttle, we did a Baywatch style beach landing and I ran for the nearest cabin. I thought I was home free, flung open the bathroom door and there's a sink and shower, no toilet. I run out of the cabin towards the outhouse but had to stop on the trail.

"Mike, if you're taking the trail, don't stray from it"

:rofl2: That was awesomely funny

The sled story will be a good one for the campfire in June.

So the much anticipated weekend has arrived......I'm goin' up to the kawarthas to meet and greet some fellow OFC'ers. Big Cliff is first on the list. He sends me detailed directions....I have a GPS. Need I say more? Yes I do. I plug his address into the GPS, it finds it no problem at all. So up the 115\35 I go. I recall that I need to drive to the first light, la de da de da, I drive PAST the exit for 35 to Lindsay 'cause there is no light to be seen as of yet. When I get to the 7a exit I'm thinkin' (a rare thing for me), I didn't think I needed to drive all the way to Peterborough.....This is at 6:30 in the morning, Cliff said that he is up at 5 am every morning so I reluctantly decide to call. I wake up his wife, (an incredibly warm woman BTW), and she gets out of bed and goes to the top of the driveway into the shop and lets Cliff know that I need directions. (All of this time my GPS is telling me that I need to go back, but, NOOOOOOOO I know better because I remember the directions that Cliff gave me. Well to make a long story shorter, I managed to find his home, (nestled right on the shore of Sturgeon lake), and sat down to a coffee, while waiting for Beans, my fishing partner for the day. We laughed about my misadventures on the way up, and put that down to experience. Beans arrives, introductions are made, equipment compared, anticipation of a good day is in the air. The downpour had stopped, the sun was out, life is GOOD! So, off to the launch we go, the launch went smoothly, Beans is in my, (yet to be slimed), boat, with no trouble at all. I park the van and trailer, make my way to the boat, fire her up and help Beans into the dodge van captian's chair that I had mounted on the front bench seat of my 14' narrow beam boat. Now, a word about Beans.....Besides being one of the nicest and most worthy of respect men that I have had the pleasure of meeting, he is also an very experienced fisherman. He's gotta have 30+ years of experience on me. As well, he is a large man, in heart and goodnature as well as girth. OK here is the situation, an older, robust man sitting on a seat that is elevated 8 inches above the gunwales supported by a 10" circular base fastened to a fiberglass bench seat . The base is 12" high. Nothing wrong with that picture, right? So here we are on the lake; Beans has pulled in two perch, I am still waiting to get a bite. I ask Beans how he likes the seat, "It is very comfortable" he says. I am curious as this is the shakedown cruise with the new seat. I believe him and envy him as it does look very comfy. Beans leans back as he says this, and to my abject, unaldulterated, complete HORROR! he continues to lean back and back and into the drink he goes! I still have a vivid mental image of Beans' head entering the water, he completley upside down, still seated in the chair, legs kicking vainly in the air for some type of purchase, with a look of absolute shock and surprise etched into his face. Now at this moment in time I am thinking that I have killed him, he is going to drown, and it is my fault. So I do what any reasonable man would do, I panic. Thankfully he does not. Beans makes his way to the surface clutches at the side of the boat, and says something to the effect of " That was interesting", and I am thinking how the *(*%*)%((*#$%# am I gonna get him back in??????!!!!! Fortunatly there are two men nearby in a bass boat, I call them over and they CALMLY get us cooled off, well Beans was already cool, he was IN the water after all, and get Beans into a life jacket, haul him into their boat, and transfer him back to mine. They were the true heros of the situation, regretably we did not get their names. (So if you recognize this situation, and lurk the board, THANK YOU!!!!!!) If you are members here, stand and be counted. During all of this Beans is concerned for me, because he can see the huge impact that this has had on me. I am not doing well....Need less to say, that was the end of the outing.

And now the turnabout, "cause that's fair play...

Old Ironmaker and I had arranged to hook up for perch last Saturday. We met at the appointed time in the appointed place, got introductions out of the way, transferred rods and tackle into his boat, and down the road we went. Destination Port Burwell. Upon arrival it was scene out of traffic nightmares...in the space used for 6 truck and trailer combo's there was 20, we get lined up to launch, enquire about minnows, none to be had. Well shucks we can't launch without bait, made inquiries and found that there were minnows available just down the road. So off the Port Stanley we go.

The launch at Port stanley was amazing! Ten bucks to launch, and they have a young fellow to help with your bow lines, hold your boat, whatever needs to be done. We were very impressed by the service here. Minnows were 5 bucks a scoop and quite a few in a scoop as well.

Down the river we go to the perching grounds. Two clusters of boat to choose from , we get to a respectful distance and anchor. While fishing for perch, (they were on smoulder but we did OK), it happens. The anchor rope wrapped around the locking latch and released the seat base. Base of the seat comes out, I fall backwards and perform a less than graceful backwards cannonball into the SIXTY TWO degree water. I can only imagine the look on my face as I tumbled over the edge of the boat. I felt my sunglasses slip of my face and start the downward journey to the bottom of erie. Made a feeble attempt to grab them, but missed due to the fact that I was more concerned with getting to the surface than saving my glasses. Make it to the surface, grab the gunnel and there was a conversation regarding getting back in boat, made my way to the back of the boat and climbed up the boarding ladder. Handy things i tell ya! Offers to return to shore are made, declined, squeeze out the water in my shirts and return to fishing.

The ensuing conversation included a reference to this story, as I told Old Ironmaker about it and now, as a result, Norm can see turnabout comes to those that wait. I still feel bad about what I did to you Norm, it was absolute foolish design on my part that put overboard. If this case it was a simple error in tie-off of the anchor rope.

All's well that ends well, as they say.

THAT is funny ;) I heard Cliff's version but yours is much more descriptive. You left a lasting impression Albert ;).

Almost 2 years ago while fishing Simcoe last day of trout and whitie season slipped on ice and broke 2 bones in my right leg. Was fishing along during work week, so I had to wait for an hour for first vehicle on ice to help me to get to the shore, was 2,5 km away from it. It was worst bumpy ride to the shore on tailgate of tundra truck. Funny part that I was already going to my car with my limit when this happened.