New Evinrude

kickingfrog

I had the chance to drive a few of the new E-TECs last summer and fall. While the styling doesn't really speak to me, I have to admit they really are nice engines to drive. The power steering and auto-trim are nice features, even if they do take a bit of getting used to.

Funky looking thing in lime green ...

BRPG2ETEC250_zpsefe2899f.jpg

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I had the chance to drive a few of the new E-TECs last summer and fall. While the styling doesn't really speak to me, I have to admit they really are nice engines to drive. The power steering and auto-trim are nice features, even if they do take a bit of getting used to.

Funky looking thing in lime green ...

BRPG2ETEC250_zpsefe2899f.jpg

Not funny but ugly IMHO........all I wanted was a white one and could only get a blue one at the time....but no big deal as it purrs like a kitten and lounges out of the water like a panther all while sipping expensive gasoline.....LOL

Edited by Mister G

Here's another ... not quite as funky this time, in white with blue trim. The black parts are fixed, but the coloured side and top panels can be changed easily since they're held on by a series of screws (look carefully and you can see them).

You'll notice this engine is mounted on an aluminum Armstrong bracket, which moves the engine 22 inches back of the transom. Holy cow does that ever do a lot to juice the boat's handling. The extra torque and leverage is incredible. The only down side is that you're more likely to tangle lines around it when trolling.

ETECG2_zps1eee754e.jpg

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

It's a wonder they still make 2 strokes, try reselling. :worthy::whistling:

They'll phase them out eventually but I really hope the E-Tec sticks around.

People like to write what they believe is correct even though they have no first hand experience.

My earlier post I wrote that Yamaha sucks back more fuel than a E-Tec. I also wrote that my boat originally came with a Yamaha and I repowered with a E-Tec. So I know first hand that a Yamaha uses more fuel.

And making a comment about a comparably sized outboard of one brand using less fuel is not like some guy buying a full sized 4x4 pickup and complaining about bad fuel economy.

I had a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.7 HO. I now drive a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel.

Guess which one uses less fuel....

Hehehe. You tell m Ed!!1

And as far as brands go, as long as it isn't black and labelled Merc you're good to go. :whistling:

Edited by moxie

I've got nothing good or bad to say about the glorified Ficht injection..just tired of the braggers talking them up like there a gift from god

Your best to buy two ..one for the way out and other to get ya back in lol

3 yr kiss your mechanic goodbye they said..never change your plugs they said..no oil changes they said..only buy our XD 100 at 65.00 for 4 liters they said ..will give ya all the warranty in the world but we won't replace the power head under warranty anyhow

You've "got nothing good or bad to say about it"? It's okay if you don't like Evinrude but stop lying about it.

I got my 300 hours in two and half years without so much as a misfire. Blame your dealer for ripping you off at $65 a jug, it's $50 everywhere else. If you don't want to run XD100 you can change the ECU parameter to run XD50 and select from a variety of synthetics. A lot of warranty refusals stem from motors set to run on XD100 and customers cheaping out (or mis-advised) and running Amsoil etc. I had an Amsoil retailer tell me it was the same as XD100....it's not.

I wouldn't have picked the ETEC for my new boat purchase but it was pre-rigged and $12k below retail as a non-current model. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another nor would I slam the other brands.

All E-Tech originally came with a 3 year warranty and last year upgraded it to a 5 year warranty and this it's a 7 year warranty all at no extra cost.

Warranties are funny

It's great they have a long warranty... But he went without a boat for 7 weeks...

Warranty won't get you back home safe

Listen stud ..the company I work for has 4 of them a 150-250 ..and twin 200 HO that we use on a daily basis ice out till ice in ..I personally bought a 115 so your experience means crap to me really..they buy the oil in 45 gallon drums ..I had to paddle the 150 to shore twice now because of sensor issues ..I'm not gonna waste any more time on this useless senseless topic ..your brainwashed or flatlined for all I know ..Canadian coast guard told e tec to keep there crap because they demand reliability ..says a lot right there..have a good one

The new styling doesn't do anything for me but I think they're on to something. Easily removed accent panels could be repainted or wrapped for colour match/design. Previously, you would have to bring the motor into a paintshop for the lower unit. This would probably appeal to sponsered fish guys, wake boats, pleasure boats etc... Along the lines of having fancy rims and colour-matched trailers.

hey at least when you have that super ugly colour on the motor, you'll be easy to spot when your floating around on the lake broken down :) :) :)

ok, I kid, I kid....

like someone earlier said, all motors are good these days.

Merc's, Yammy's, Suzi's, even Etec's.

Some will say Yammy's are not good on gas.

Others will say Merc's are only good as Anchors.

Many still will say Suzi's are just a poor mans Yamaha.

But simply put, which ever one gets you out on the water, and off of shore, is a good motor.

Edited by Steve