Homemade rinks-here we go again!!

SirCranksalot

It sounds like 1 or 2 busybodies in the neighborhood with nothing better to do but complain!! Is OCD contagious??? IMO, it's better if kids don't live in a sterile OCD suburban neighborhood with cutsey trees trimmed to geometric shapes and lawns with the uniformity of astroturf! They need a place with a few 'rough edges', somewhere to dig or climb or rattle a few pucks off boards.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/01/22/ajax-family-ordered-to-dismantle-tiny-front-yard-ice-rink-or-face-fine-of-up-to-25000.html

Edited by SirCranksaLot

Oh, the rink is just junking that "beautiful" neighbourhood all up. All those too big houses, built 3 feet from each other, no lawns, hardly any trees even, such a friggin' eye sore even at the best of times. Bulldozing the whole lot of them would be the best idea anyone ever had.

Edited by big guy

Oh, the rink is just junking that "beautiful" neighbourhood all up. All those too big houses, built 3 feet from each other, no lawns, hardly any trees even, such a friggin' eye sore even at the best of times. Bulldozing the whole lot of them would be the best idea anyone ever had.

Lmao.... my parents own a home in that subdivision. The houses are big, too close together and the streets are so narrow its a wonder emerg responders can navigate safely if need be. Those places barely topped out at $280k when first built are now being sold in the $700k range. There are more than a few busy body nosy prick like humans there who feel their dung smells like roses because the market has over valued their shacks in what used to be a corn field and those are the thorns that dont understand to leave well enough alone and let the kids have fun.

And while we're on the topic of government interference with kids having fun, lets not forget about all the municipalities banning tobogganing for fear of getting sued if little Johnny falls down and gets hurt.

All I know is I'm glad I was a kid in a time when we we're allowed to go out and have fun without Big Brother hanging over our shoulders and telling us fun is now against the rules.

Alot of young guys laugh when us older guys talk about the "Good Ole Days" but believe me when I tell you they really were.

this is funny. I grew up in downtown Toronto (not big lots) and flooded by own rink as a kid. never a problem with neighbours. A neighbour a few doors is building a rink in his backyard and no one has problems.

What I get from these rink stories is that if they built the rinks in the backyards, it probably wouldn't be a problem. I have no idea why they put them in front yards other than to say 'hey look at how cool I am, building a rink for my kids'

and not everyone has problems with rinks.

a photo gallery of home made rinks in the Globe and Mail

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/your-wonderful-images-of-backyard-ice-rinks/article22550422/

I was just going to post that link as well. Maybe next year at our house. The neighbourhood rink here is very good and quite close but Ryan is spending so much time on it that having him right outside our door might be better next year.

thanks. story was tl;dr.

If she's an engineer, she could frame some 2x10's over the pool and built a rink there ;) maybe have a fire pit going as well for warming up. and I know this is heresy around here but if she really wanted her kids to have exercise as a lifelong component to well being, then I'd suggest she put her kids on skinny skis and get them into classic or skate. upside is you're outside in the trees vs front yard. ymmv

but yeah, her mistake was the boards. next year she'll know better and let the neighbour stew in misery while her kids enjoy the rink lol

They are just giving more reasons for kids to just sit inside and stare at a screen all day instead of actually playing outside... It seems I was part of the last generation that actually went outside and played with sticks and rode bikes til dark without anyone really knowing where we were and it was ok, when it was dark... go home.

I can't believe the direction this world is now going, it's disappointing to be able to really do nothing about it, except my 14 month old boy will be outside playing, hopefully with a few other kids!

Our kids still play outside all the time, but we dont live in a city or suburban area.

Most their time is spent on road hockey(I still like to join in lol).

Our oldest daughter loves photography and spends alot of time in the bush taking pictures.

Winter is tougher then summer, in the summer I couldn't pay them money to come inside haha.

One thing they do know however is that if your inside your doing chores or helping cook/bake.

They do have tablets and one of those xboxs but its all put away in our room. They get a couple hours a week on them and thats about it.

I see way too many kids these days that are raised by a video game or tv, and thats just sad.

ps. If we had an outdoor rink in our yard I would have a hardtime going to work ???.

as a kid my grandpa used to flood this bush area and all us kids could be found there basically all day when we weren't at school. Nothing teaches you to keep your head up like possibly hitting a tree hahaha

Who builds that in their FRONT YARD and expects no one to complain about it? Have people become stupider over the years?

I'm all for backyard rinks, but use a bit of common sense.. When we were growing up, when was the last time you saw a rink on the front lawn? lol

Edited by BillM

Bill

It's just a rink, not pretty but it's not like it's there 365 days a year.

It's obvious that there is one DH on that street that is making it their life's work to b!0tch and moan about everyone else on the street. These people are usually depressed, angry people that are mad at the world.

I am willing to bet that everyone in the neighbourhood knows who the butt head is.

If I lived on that street I would get the rest of the peeps together and make it my life's work to get them to leave the area.

People suck!!!! :angry:

When I was growing up there were back yard, front yard, side yard rinks as well as ponds to skate on.

I don't know of any backyard rinks here but there are plenty of rinks made on local lakes as well as several outdoor rinks and two indoor links maintained by the city.

We even have an outdoor speed skating oval training track.

Who builds that in their FRONT YARD and expects no one to complain about it? Have people become stupider over the years?

I'm all for backyard rinks, but use a bit of common sense.. When we were growing up, when was the last time you saw a rink on the front lawn? lol

Please read the article. I'm sure you wouldn't have made your post if you knew the reason for it being in the front yard.

I can't believe how many people think people are not going to complain in a built up area

dang, they complain their fence is too high it's too close, the tree is too big the driveway is too wide, there is too many cars theres a boat a trailer a camper, the porch light is too bright, they have a veg garden in the front lawn and the list goes on

oh for cottage owners ... they were fishing near my dock, swimming near my dock, parking their boat in our bay

and you think no one is going to complain about a rink in the front yard...lol

I don't have a problem with it but I would expect someone in the area could take a disliking to it

Last word on this (maybe). I get the sense that some people think if there were no front yard rinks, kids would become lazy slobs sitting in front of computers or tvs all day. If a rink is that make or break for their health, then kids are doomed. It takes more than a small rink to get kids healthy and fit. Skating helps (ANY physical activity helps) but I'll bet nine times out of ten the kids chow down on chips and candy or guzzle litres of soft drinks when they come inside. This is a one step forward two steps back approach to fitness and health.

If the woman really checked the bylaws, she would have noticed the boards would be a problem but imo she rolled the dice and lost.

Get all soft drinks (and sugars) out of kid's diets and we'll talk.

I can't believe how many people think people are not going to complain in a built up area

dang, they complain their fence is too high it's too close, the tree is too big the driveway is too wide, there is too many cars theres a boat a trailer a camper, the porch light is too bright, they have a veg garden in the front lawn and the list goes on

oh for cottage owners ... they were fishing near my dock, swimming near my dock, parking their boat in our bay

and you think no one is going to complain about a rink in the front yard...lol

I don't have a problem with it but I would expect someone in the area could take a disliking to it

So people should just suck it up and let all the little whiners get their way? When does someone finally stand up and say enough is enough?

It's a rink, it gets the kids out of the house, away from the boob tube and video games for a while, it's not a car turned upside down on the front lawn, it won't even be there 2 months from now. People will complain, you're right, but those same people should then be told "if you don't like it, don't look at it".

Yup kinda sad when I read this post. When we were kids we would leave the house early Saturday morning to head to the local neighbour's back yard rink with skates hanging over our hockey sticks. We'd play shinny for the entire day. When it got dark we went home to watch the leafs WIN! Yup they had a winning team back then. Our parents always knew where we were. I feel there is way too many indoor activities for youngsters today. Computers, xbox, tablets etc. They talk about obesity in our younger children today, Just take a look at their activity levels & amount of junk food they consume. That tells the whole story! Just my opinion.