cooking thread...

Looks like I'll be eating this smoked pork shoulder for a while.

Next on the agenda is to pickle a big brisket slab for corned beef.

I near died when I saw the price recently, that's how I ended up with the pork and cabbage dinner.

I'm also thinking I should get the smoker out after seeing Cliff's slab of bacon, yum!

TZvBSnA.jpg

Thank you for posting that for me! It is a little hard to tell from the picture but that is a 4lb slab of pork belly cured for a week then cold smoked for about 3 hours. It tastes even better than it looks!

No prob Cliff! I really wanted to see this, and now I really want to eat it lol.

Speil!!!

Too much great food in here! I think I started a monster with this thread hahaha.

im not sure whats on our menu tonight as of yet. We do have leftovers but I have to feed the dogs too ya know?

Woof Woof, slober slober, drool drool. Your dogs eat better than a lot of people I know :clapping:

Just ordered 4 lbs of very lean beef sliced about 1/4 to 3/16 thick (my butcher slices it for me at no charge, well I do give him some of the finished product LOL). Anyone want to guess what I am going to be making this week? :whistling:

Spiel, that pork looks AMAZING! Now for the pickeled brisket; I have never tried doing it before but it is another one of the things I would really like to do. Guess I am going to have to go shopping for some bigger cloths at this rate.

Oh and Rick, this is an excellent thread, it sure beats some of the winterlude topics!

I am going to try to figure out how to post pictures again, I have done it in the past, I just can't remember how I did it but at least I do remember that I did LOL. Oh boy I'm getting old!

Tonights menu includes: maple glazed atlantic salmon done on a cedar plank, snow peas sauted in a very light butter/olive oil mix with just a hint of sesame oil, mushrooms pan fried in a bit of bacon grease (just enough to keep them from sticking to the pan, don't want to ruin the mushrooms) and a nice little side of jasmin rice (goes so well with salmon). I will take a picture and do my best to post it.

Yeah Bruce I think I need to live in Cliffs basement or something, this man knows how to cook! If you two ever get together please invite me, pretty please? ???

Im still experimenting and learning. I like to think Ive done pretty good for the past 8 or 9 years.

Before that I did alot of bodybuilding and all I ate was eggs, brown rice, salads, fish, chicken breasts and alot of veggies lol. It was a very bland time in my life.

My all time favorite dish to make now is cheesesteak sandwiches. Absolutely amazing when homemade!!!!

Cliff if ya cant post a pic just email me again, its no prob for me to put it up for ya?

Maybe I can even walk you through posting pics on your own again?

Edited by manitoubass2

Cliff your smoked paprika with sea salt on the ribs on indirect heat OMG, never heard of smoked parika before, I to have to get mb2 to help me post pics................we have boiled, put them in the oven, slowed cooked them and them put them on the q BUT these were the best ever, I just had a few cherry wood chips smouldering on the side............Definitely no leftovers :(

Cliff your smoked paprika with sea salt on the ribs on indirect heat OMG, never heard of smoked parika before, I to have to get mb2 to help me post pics................we have boiled, put them in the oven, slowed cooked them and them put them on the q BUT these were the best ever, I just had a few cherry wood chips smouldering on the side............Definitely no leftovers :(

Check you messages!

If I don't have any Hungarian smoked paprika in the cupboard I can't sleep at night. I like the spicy, actually it's hot not spicy, be careful.

For anyone that gets to Hamilton or lives there the best and cheapest spices with the best selection is Punjabi Market at Centennial and Queenston Rd. It is on the south east side of the intersection just east of the gas station. I find it has a better selection of spices than Starsky's. If anyone has not been to Starsky's I recommend you check that place out too. Punjabi Market is easy to miss, it has parking for only a few cars but you can park next to it in the plaza. The packaged stews for Paprikash and Goulashes are killer. I wouldn't even begin to know what would be needed to make from scratch as many of them don't have English written on them but the staff is happy to help. Talk about smoked meat? They have a great selection in the meat counter, from smoked prosciutto to Lamb sausage. My goodness gracious it's all good. For a great selection of specialty meats Starsky's is the place to go too with a much bigger selection than Punjab. It's a flew klics west of Punjabi.

edit, Punjab sells most spices out of bins, I can get a pound of smoked paprika for the price of 1 small bottle of Mc Cormack at the grocery stores.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Smoked paprika is of the gods!

So the dogs ate well?

Im working on a wildrice and partridge cream soup. Actually it turns out very thick im not sure id call it a soup.

Ive made it many times and this is a great dish. I use my biggest pot because even reheated mmmmmmmmmm.

Im seasoning it a little different this time so im not sure how it will be?

I got onion, celery, and a lil carrot in there. 6 partdrige and a good whop of wild rice. Oh I finely chopped some habenero too

I added seas salt, cracked black pepper, turmeric and annatto.

Time will tell

annatto. I have to show my ignorance here, I have never heard of it! Can you please try to give me some idea of what it might taste like or where it might be used.

I realize that trying to describe a flavor might be hard but I would love to learn.

Do Not boil them next time! If you think what you had was good, wait until you do them without boiling them! X 2

OK....this thread should come with a warning label! We will need and OFC "potluck" GTG this summer just to sample everyones skills.

BTW I have first refusal on Cliff's basement if Barbara ever throws me out!

Do Not boil them next time! If you think what you had was good, wait until you do them without boiling them! X 2

Yeah I started out with boil then BBQ, no more though.

For me at least, its low indirect heat with alot of baths. After you have the heat and timing down, quit the batch to get the crust. I learned this from my bud thats a head chef on VIA Rail. Boy can he that man cook!!!

Chocolate mint growing wild, now I have heard everything............

I hope it is in season when I pass through Rainy River in August!!!! :canadian:

Doug

Im pretty sure its not native lol. Someone probably planted it long time ago and it just spread, at least thats my guess???

Yes, ill have lots when ya come visit shag, we usually harvest in july.

In fact there is a bunch nearby where I plan to fish. You can grab some fresh stuff for your hunting trip?

If I don't have any Hungarian smoked paprika in the cupboard I can't sleep at night. I like the spicy, actually it's hot not spicy, be careful.

For anyone that gets to Hamilton or lives there the best and cheapest spices with the best selection is Punjabi Market at Centennial and Queenston Rd. It is on the south east side of the intersection just east of the gas station. I find it has a better selection of spices than Starsky's. If anyone has not been to Starsky's I recommend you check that place out too. Punjabi Market is easy to miss, it has parking for only a few cars but you can park next to it in the plaza. The packaged stews for Paprikash and Goulashes are killer. I wouldn't even begin to know what would be needed to make from scratch as many of them don't have English written on them but the staff is happy to help. Talk about smoked meat? They have a great selection in the meat counter, from smoked prosciutto to Lamb sausage. My goodness gracious it's all good. For a great selection of specialty meats Starsky's is the place to go too with a much bigger selection than Punjab. It's a flew klics west of Punjabi.

edit, Punjab sells most spices out of bins, I can get a pound of smoked paprika for the price of 1 small bottle of Mc Cormack at the grocery stores.

I'm very familiar with Starsky's as it's near by, great shop. I am however unfamiliar with the Punjabi Market but I know where it is. Must check it out. ;) Thanks JD.