cooking thread...

You are very talented Rick. Anyone can cook a meal, not many can create one. Pudda? If the pic goes with the name it looks like Perogie, but on the plate it looks like mini Perogie.

What's Pudda sir?

I have a rule when it comes to food I eat, nothing blue. The blue in Blue cheese is really dark green, so I tell myself. If it is blue it's an exception to the rule.

I did a rez style green eggs and ham(fried bologna) and the kids loved it. Friggen creeped me out hahaha.

As a scouter, I often was camp cook. For Beavers and Cubs, they would hear Scouter Bruce's deranged version of the Dr Seuss classic at campfire. Next morning for breakfast, you guessed it, green eggs and ham. I always produced some sensational camp meals.

You are very talented Rick. Anyone can cook a meal, not many can create one. Pudda? If the pic goes with the name it looks like Perogie, but on the plate it looks like mini Perogie.

What's Pudda sir?

I have a rule when it comes to food I eat, nothing blue. The blue in Blue cheese is really dark green, so I tell myself. If it is blue it's an exception to the rule.

Thanks sir!

Puddaha, yes it is perogies. And they take alot of time to make. Mine were stuffed with potatoe and cheddar, boilded, then baked with salt pepper onion and bacon, also some of the bacon grease poured over top before baking? and there not really mini lol, just homemade. They dont look perfect like those frozen cheapies

And Bruce thats awesome!!!!

Edited by manitoubass2

Well I spent the afternoon in the kitchen yesterday, made the Dill Pickle Soup and a Chicken Pot pie.

Seemed like the best way to spend a grey rainy afternoon.

For now here's a look at the Soup. It started with turning Sundays Capon in to stock on Monday.

FK5iDB3.jpg

After it was strained and meat set aside for the pot pie I had 13 cups of stock. More than enough to double the soup recipe with 2 cups set aside also for the pot pie.

Though as luck would have it I was a tad short on a few ingredients to double everything so I went with what I had.

Turned out far tastier than I had expected, definitely a must make again soup. I'm even betting it would be a good summer soup serve chilled.

Kh02hhk.jpg

The original recipe here.... http://noblepig.com/2013/03/dill-pickle-soup/

My doubled version with a few changes....

Dill Pickle Soup
Ingredients
11 cups chicken broth
3 pounds russet or red potatoes, peeled and quartered (I used red, was a good choice)
4 cups chopped carrots (smaller dice)
2 cup chopped dill pickles (smaller dice ~ about 6 large whole dills)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (I used salted and did not double the amount)
1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour (a little less than the double amount)
1 cup sour cream (1 cup was all I had, it was plenty)
2 cups dill pickle juice*
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Garnish (optional)
Directions
In a large pot, combine broth, potatoes, carrots and butter. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender. Add pickles and continue to boil.
In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sour cream and pickle juice, making a paste. Vigorously whisk sour cream mixture (2 Tablespoons at a time) into soup. (This will also break up some of your potatoes which is okay. You might see some initial little balls of flour form, but between the whisking and boiling all will disappear. Don't panic.)
Add salt (*see below), pepper and cayenne. Cook 5 more minutes and remove from heat. Serve immediately.
*All pickle juice is not created equal. Some is saltier than others. Taste your soup after adding the pickle juice and final seasonings. It's possible you will not need any salt or would prefer more or less.

We love turkey, had repeat leftovers for three nights(sliced turkey, stuffing etc), and into the microwave.

There is still some left in the fridge.

Does anyone have a recipe for making a pot pie, we have never made one but would like to give it a try

Thx

John

This will make enough for two standard pies:

First, don't bother getting all fancy like some of the recipies. I had a couple of frozen pie shells in the freezer and a package of puff pastry that I keep for those times you just don't have time to do it from scratch.

1 chicken (or) turkey carcus, break it up into pieces and toss it in a pot, cover it with water and boil until the meat falls off the bones.

Strain it keeping the liquid and put that in the fridge to cool. Let the meat cool slightly then remove any meat from the bones and discard the bones you want to have about 4 cups of meat when you are done.

Once the stock has cooled and the fat has solidified remove the fat from the stock, you want about 3 cups of stock so add water if required.

Add to the stock: (quantities are about)

2 cups frozen peas

1 medium onion chopped

1 stick celery

1 large carrot, peeled and cut into pieces

2 small or one large potato, peeled and cubed

½ a tsp fresh ground pepper

1 tsp salt

4 cups of chicken/turkey

(You can go getting all fancy with different spices but believe me you don’t need to; you will only take away from the natural flavors)

Let that simmer for about 20 minutes.

In the mean time make a white sauce

¼ cup butter

¼ cup flour

Melt the butter in a sauce pan and slowly stir the flour in, once it is blended start slowly stirring milk into it, not too much, about a cup should do it, you want a very thick almost glue like texture (you know what that white wood glue looks like) . Now stir the white sauce into the pot with the chicken, stir it well then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes then turn the heat off.

Now I cheated this time and used the frozen deep dish pie shells and some frozen puff pastry.

Fill your pie shells, cover with the puff pastry:

Bake at 450 for about 10 minutes on the middle rack then reduce the heat to 325 and bake for another 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let it rest for about 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

1 pie will feed 3 hungry people or 4 normal ones. I did two pies, the boys down stairs ate one between them, Sue and I had leftovers from ours LOL.

This will make enough for two standard pies:

First, don't bother getting all fancy like some of the recipies. I had a couple of frozen pie shells in the freezer and a package of puff pastry that I keep for those times you just don't have time to do it from scratch.

1 chicken (or) turkey carcus, break it up into pieces and toss it in a pot, cover it with water and boil until the meat falls off the bones.

Strain it keeping the liquid and put that in the fridge to cool. Let the meat cool slightly then remove any meat from the bones and discard the bones you want to have about 4 cups of meat when you are done.

Once the stock has cooled and the fat has solidified remove the fat from the stock, you want about 3 cups of stock so add water if required.

Add to the stock: (quantities are about)

2 cups frozen peas

1 medium onion chopped

1 stick celery

1 large carrot, peeled and cut into pieces

2 small or one large potato, peeled and cubed

½ a tsp fresh ground pepper

1 tsp salt

4 cups of chicken/turkey

(You can go getting all fancy with different spices but believe me you don’t need to; you will only take away from the natural flavors)

Let that simmer for about 20 minutes.

In the mean time make a white sauce

¼ cup butter

¼ cup flour

Melt the butter in a sauce pan and slowly stir the flour in, once it is blended start slowly stirring milk into it, not too much, about a cup should do it, you want a very thick almost glue like texture (you know what that white wood glue looks like) . Now stir the white sauce into the pot with the chicken, stir it well then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes then turn the heat off.

Now I cheated this time and used the frozen deep dish pie shells and some frozen puff pastry.

Fill your pie shells, cover with the puff pastry:

Bake at 450 for about 10 minutes on the middle rack then reduce the heat to 325 and bake for another 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let it rest for about 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

1 pie will feed 3 hungry people or 4 normal ones. I did two pies, the boys down stairs ate one between them, Sue and I had leftovers from ours LOL.

Big Cliff

Thank you thank you thank you, my wife is over my shoulder with a larger than normal smile. That is exactly the type of recipe we were hoping for. That will be dinner tonight :clapping: reading your recipe made us remember of a chicken pot pie we had about 8 years ago while visiting PEI. We stayed at a B@B for two nights just outside Summerside. They made home made as well, but we never asked for the recipe. I will definitely let you how our first attempt turns out

Again thank you

John

Sounds awesome Big Cliff! Got me craving pot pie now...darned if I didn't just turn our Easter turkey carcass into soup already! :wallbash:

Should have saved some OMG we made our first two last night from Big Cliffs recipe mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

good.

Cliff thank you again for posting the recipe, I think you would have given us a thumbs up for our first attempt, GOOD BYE turkey rice casserole........................HELLO TURKEY POT PIE, it is a must try :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Here it is my sons 12th bday so im all excited to chef it up. Asked what he wants and he says plain old spaghetti dad. Not the good kind you make either, just tomatoe sauce and beef.

So dissapointed...(not really but come on man!???)

Im just itchen to make a good slow cooked homemade sauce

Phyllo pastry sheets Doug. Never ever having used or cooked with any sort of pastry I erred by not applying an egg wash between each layer. The bottom and sides did okay as there was moisture to be had from the gravy but the top layers were a little dry and badly separated.

I made my first pot pie the other day as well. Pretty basic ingredients but in the future I'll be learning how to make my own pastry.

Built 3"s thick in a 4 liter corning wear casserole dish.

Very tasty......

3alj6ST.jpg

ZnAeyJA.jpg

Looks fantastic, great job, I see u left some for dessert lol

The secret with Phyllo is to keep the sheets moist between a damp cloth and to brush melted butter between each layer..

Great job Chris I will trade you a pastry recipe for a slice of pie~! You are gonna have to start jogging my friend or you will become a fat bugger like me!