cooking thread...

Believe it or not I really don't like Porchetta. I will eat it warm though, if I have to. I love Pork and I have no idea why not Porchetta. Maybe too much black pepper.

Ketch, Mom would take a few days at least to do the Cappunare. I always wonder if the old recipes are going to be lost forever here. I personally kick my self for not paying attention. I also roast 3 bushels of Shepard Peppers every Sept. Then give 90% away.

Most Gen X ers csn't boil water. All my nieces and nephews fall into that category because my Bro's and Sis in laws can't boil water either. 4 meals a week were take out and 3 at my parents or my home.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Believe it or not I really don't like Porchetta. I will eat it warm though, if I have to. I love Pork and I have no idea why not Porchetta. Maybe too much black pepper.

Ketch, Mom would take a few days at least to do the Cappunare. I always wonder if the old recipes are going to be lost forever here. I personally kick my self for not paying attention. I also roast 3 bushels of Shepard Peppers every Sept. Then give 90% away.

Most Gen X ers csn't boil water. All my nieces and nephews fall into that category because my Bro's and Sis in laws can't boil water either. 4 meals a week were take out and 3 at my parents or my home.

I,ll be doing a bunch this fall. Red/green mix with roasted garlic. Seems I have those that wish to BARTER . I get in return, smoked Polish cheese ( 3 kinds ) and Russian home made pepperettes , and some of the best Asian eats as well. Im surprised I can keep at 180 lbs. LOL

I,ll be doing a bunch this fall. Red/green mix with roasted garlic. Seems I have those that wish to BARTER . I get in return, smoked Polish cheese ( 3 kinds ) and Russian home made pepperettes , and some of the best Asian eats as well. Im surprised I can keep at 180 lbs. LOL

Sometimes I get "thanks" usually it's "Is that all?" I need to better my group of friends and relatives. I was once invited to my brothers in the mid 80's as he scored some Lobster. I cooked them and the corn and as we were leaving he told me what I owed him, I swear to God. That was the first and last time I went to his or any of his 3 ex wives for dinner. You can't choose your relatives. Now I went and got myself all upset and I need y rest for fishing on Erie tomorrow for Wally's.

Believe it or not I really don't like Porchetta. I will eat it warm though, if I have to. I love Pork and I have no idea why not Porchetta. Maybe too much black pepper.Ketch, Mom would take a few days at least to do the Cappunare. I always wonder if the old recipes are going to be lost forever here. I personally kick my self for not paying attention. I also roast 3 bushels of Shepard Peppers every Sept. Then give 90% away.Most Gen X ers csn't boil water. All my nieces and nephews fall into that category because my Bro's and Sis in laws can't boil water either. 4 meals a week were take out and 3 at my parents or my home.

You have to PAY attenzione to the old folk paesano mio, especially European decent. The best eats and all natural.

WTH Is capunnare?

Last year I bought a bushel of peppers and having some from the year before I went halves with my brother, his wife and my wife are like sisters . .

I'm at work and they do them BUT right to the eating end in jars all fixed, with the oil garlic and parsley . . .

I go to dinner and I ask how many jars did we make. 12 I say what? yup one bushel roasted and fixed 12 small jars. I Still have 3!

HOpefully this year we make eggplants, NO tomatoes we made lots last year.

Cappunare, I don't know how to spell Italian, everyone laughs when I speak it. And here I thought they got my joke. Cap-poo-nari. All the fall veggies cut up and laid out on the table on a sheet and salted. Then in jars with veg oil and garlic cloves. Calabrese thing I think from my Mom's American side of the Familia.

I don't jar anything since the first time I tried and lost everything when the lids popped. I roast the Shepherd peppers, clean skin and seeds off, put them in one of those water go, Spaghetti no things and cover them with a clean mapina and put weight on the colander to drain the oil off. It can be bitter with some peppers. Then I put them in good freezer bags, flatten them and freeze them. When I take them out to thaw I then put veg oil, cloves of garlic and some fresh basil. In the jars was always better as the garlic and basil got into the peppers and the oil was to die for slopping it up with crusty Calabrese bread. What do you call what you clean the plate with, scarpetta? Little shoe.

On a positive note my Godson is everything Italian. He just remodelled his first home and put arches in the rooms, 5 different ceramic tile designs in and bought 2 chamenta Lions for the front driveway and a huge fountain with a statue in it. He spend hours with his Nona learning the recipes, what recipes? A bit of this some of that and a dash of the other stuff. I have to laugh when someone asks me for a recipe. The first ingredient is from your Heart.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Those chamenta lions are a giveaway to Italian lol

We call it giardiniera in Italian all vegetables! (I'm from close to Rome)! I make it fresh every two weeks, I'm the only one that likes it. THey don't like the anchovies!

MY father in law taught me how to make Calbrese suppressate, I've been doing them now for 40 years.

One problem is that our kids will forget the family traditions, the other problem is when they come over they devour this stuff along with wine that I make.

I just watched my wife teach a 6-year-old how to make "cake" WHY cake and pizza!

I'm not that good at the lingo but when I need it it comes out lol

Those chamenta lions are a giveaway to Italian lol

We call it giardiniera in Italian all vegetables! (I'm from close to Rome)! I make it fresh every two weeks, I'm the only one that likes it. THey don't like the anchovies!

MY father in law taught me how to make Calbrese suppressate, I've been doing them now for 40 years.

One problem is that our kids will forget the family traditions, the other problem is when they come over they devour this stuff along with wine that I make.

I just watched my wife teach a 6-year-old how to make "cake" WHY cake and pizza!

I'm not that good at the lingo but when I need it it comes out lol

This he knows HOW.

Molto Buono

I know Giardinara, it's not the same. It is dark and tastes unique, more like a pate you can spread. More Eggplant and Zucchini I think. I have to ask her, her memory is better some days. My middle brother and myself make homemade salzeech, fresh and dried, and lonza. No suppresata though. All the kids are women and their husbands couldn't care less unless it's roast beef and potatoes.

I found it Caponata!

http://theitaliandishblog.com/imported-20090913150324/2012/9/11/sicilian-caponata.html

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I know Giardinara, it's not the same. It is dark and tastes unique, more like a pate you can spread. More Eggplant and Zucchini I think. I have to ask her, her memory is better some days. My middle brother and myself make homemade salzeech, fresh and dried, and lonza. No suppresata though. All the kids are women and their husbands couldn't care less unless it's roast beef and potatoes.

I found it Caponata!

http://theitaliandishblog.com/imported-20090913150324/2012/9/11/sicilian-caponata.html

Oh I like the idea of that. With my new love for puttanesca I like the idea of olives and capers in the mix. Sounds like a great spot for my marinated olives too, except they're not ready yet. Some good tips in the comments too on picking the best eggplant.

Cheers

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, akaShag said:

OK I was away for a bit...........

...........is this thread still going, or did everybody pig out on all the good ideas?

Tonight here will be elk shepherd's pie, yum yum!

Doug

There was a bit of a time out here Doug. You didn't miss much. With the winter upon us less fishin' and more time to cook I would think.

I made a Bambi stew of short ribs on the weekend the same way I do Rabbit. Mmmmmm, good if I say so myself.

Dusted the 2" ribs with flower and secret spice mix.

Browned them with whole garlic cloves in pot with EVO. Because Deer is so lean I added a few table spoons of Bacon fat, how can you go wrong.

Removed ribs and deglazed pan with a good quality wine, Merlot this time

Added the Holy Trinity of cooking, onions, carrots and celery softened them, then added some Hungarian Hot Smoked Paprika if just for the 2 of us.  Reg Paprika for those non spice folks. Big Buddy brought in some nice sweet and sour meatballs the other day and Little Buddy said it was too spicy for him!!! What spicy?  (my wife always asks me if I know anyone with a real name?)

Put the ribs back in with a few Bay leaves and the rest of the entire bottle of wine, or more. Enough to cover the stew. A good beer can be used rather than wine.

Added 2 table spoons or so of  tomato and red pepper paste named "Piros Arany" not sure what country it comes from, if you can find it buy many tubes. Comes both hot and not as hot. Maybe Portuguese or Hungarian.

Bring to boil and very slow simmer for a few hours. Or just before meat falls off the bone.

Add potatoes, when they are done prepare to go to Heaven. Make sure you have plenty of crusty bread, not that white or whole wheat crap they call bread.

My house spice is a secret,. It is named after a large city in with an NHL team in Quebec and is recommended for steak. No salt required, taste before adding any salt, when ever you use the secret spice,  it has salt in it.

That stew recipe can be made with any meat including Chicken and Pork. If you don't add potatoes it is great over or on the side like mashed Taters, Gnocchi  or Spätzle.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks OIM, that sounds very toothsome.

Next time you do a rabbit stew you might add a few whole cardamon seeds, then fish them out (if you can find them) before serving.  I find they give a very nice flavour to rabbit (and all kinds of fowl).

Doug

Actually I've got a question for all y'all out there.

I've gotten quite good at cooking from scratch recently but I have found that no fish on the market replaces the sweet taste of Ontario caught fish. Specifically perch. I know there is the occasional place that I can find walleye (way over priced) and if I'm ever down Port Dover way I usually stock up, but has anyone found anything that comes close to matching that silky buttery taste of perch?

You are right jerpears, nothing comes close to the sweetness of fresh Perch, nothing. I have never found anything available that can hold a candle to it unfortunately. I can't recommend anything that comes even close, except maybe Walleye and in winter you know it was previously frozen ,same as Perch here that we can get in Port Dover in the winter. The last time we bought frozen Perch from Dover for a fish fry last winter it was very disappointing. We had some of the frozen Perch we caught and there was a huge difference in taste from the stuff from Dover. It tasted off. The first time we had a fish fry and there was leftovers, never again will I buy frozen in the Winter and if I have to buy Perch and Walleye at 15 bucks or more a pound I'm buying shellfish. I saw ridiculously small fresh Perch in the store in Dunnville this year at 20 bucks a pound!!!!

Shag. I have never used Cardimon. How do you and why do you pick out the small seeds? I don't use many different herbs and spices my Mom and Noni didn't use and should. The first time I started using Thyme was only a few years ago and I love it, especially with a tomato sauce. And my buddy always offered me tons of fresh from hid garden, duhhhh.  Never too old for learning new stuff.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

25 minutes ago, manitoubass2 said:

Don't try crappie lol

I'm with you there Rick!

back to OIM, you can buy whole cardamon seeds in bulk at The Bulk Store, a couple dozen will last you a year probably and they are not expensive.  GROUND cardamon is a very over-powering spice and I practically never use it.

Doug

1 hour ago, jerpears1 said:

Actually I've got a question for all y'all out there.

I've gotten quite good at cooking from scratch recently but I have found that no fish on the market replaces the sweet taste of Ontario caught fish. Specifically perch. I know there is the occasional place that I can find walleye (way over priced) and if I'm ever down Port Dover way I usually stock up, but has anyone found anything that comes close to matching that silky buttery taste of perch?

It has been years since I bought fish, BUT I did from time to time buy sole fillets and they were pretty good as a perch substitute.  I have no idea if sole is till sold and if so how much it costs.  I used to buy them frozen in a brick (like a small container of ice cream, kind of thing.)  The fillets were of various sizes and probably vacuum packed, I don't recall.

BUT!!!  Next year in the soft water season, try targetting bluegills and pumpkinseeds, they are delicious!!!  And you can keep a goodly number and do no harm to a body of water.  There are limits now, in some areas at least, but the limits are very liberal.  Freeze the fillets in water for use all year.

And rock bass are also very tasty, but they go mushy immediately if not placed on ice - plus the rock bass here in Southeastern Ontario have more contaminants per ounce than any other species.  So I quit eating them........

Oops, forgot to answer you OIM about why I pick out the seeds.  If you bite into one, the flavour is pretty intense.  It's not hot, or particularly unpleasant, just powerful.

And in my case I cook off the rabbits in broth, take the meat out to cool, and strain the broth, so I can easily take out the seeds and any bones that happen to come off the carcasses when they are cooking.  Then when the meat is cool I take it off the bones and add it back in to the stew.  But I have missed the odd seed over the years in various dishes....:rolleyes:

Store bought rabbit is terrible IMO. Not even close to a wild one.

I have put on 20 needless pounds since I put the toon away. Eating way to much pasta again, but it,s sooooooooooooo good. And my new love of russian dinners is not helping either. No wonder my buddy is lumpy. LOL

Counting down the days to whitefish opener. :Gonefishing: The walking and tugging will get me back down in weight.

Edited by misfish

I've been remiss in staying involved here but trust me I'm still cooking and eating.

This was from about 3 weeks back. A wild turkey breast brined for 48 hours then stuffed with ham, mushrooms and Swiss cheese.
BBQ'd for 90 minutes at low heat until an internal temp of 155* then rested for 30 minutes, covered.
To die for, seriously.....YUM!

23844779_168891867039461_506353560256728051_n.jpg

23905550_169066560355325_2981862139459972227_n.jpg

24058824_169066577021990_72349505869893680_n.jpg

24068098_168891847039463_4854380288545328239_n.jpg

24131583_169066563688658_7960811651644745842_n.jpg

Spiel, stop it, stop it right now!

M2B2, yes Crappie is close but I never mentioned it because they are so rare around here and no store I know of sells it.

My wife says she has used Cardamom and I don't like it.

Brian buy smaller dinner plates you will feel that you ate more, it really does help loose weight. I've lost 40 lbs, in a year. 1st time in my life a Dr. told me to gain 10 pounds. We don't know why I went down so much. Lots of tests. I feel good so who knows. Started losing pounds when I started taking Jardiance last Nov. for Diabetes, new to Canada then, it's one of the side effects.