cooking thread...

27 minutes ago, manitoubass2 said:

Sounds like a plan! You travelling this way 2018 Doug?

Don't know yet.  But I think we are going to head east for what might be the last "Fiddles on the Tobique".  It is one genuinely CANADIAN celebration, and we went a few years back.  The guy that has organized it since he dreamed it up a couple decades ago is a canoe builder name of Bill Miller.  Bill is getting up in age and has said he doesn't have a lot of these events left in him.  So anyways the plan so far is to head east this summer instead of west...........

Read about the Fiddles here:  https://www.canoekayak.com/canoe/death-of-a-river/

Doug

thats cool doug?! i woudnt wanna miss that either

we have plenty of time, plus my leg should be healed up fully by then. ive made alot of progress these last few months (thank god). Plus im sober now so i have alot more energy and losing alot of weight etc,

when it happenes it happens and well enjoy the crap outta it!

here ya go doug, two of our kiddos wanted to learn to make frybread so i figured what the heck, we teach them to cook other foods etc so here goes...

preheat oil in skillet, put the burner on about 3.5-4, youll be cooking 3-4 pieces at a time

as that heats, grab a bowl to mix dry ingredients.

add 2 cups of flour, two teaspoons of baking powder, one teaspoon of salt.

mix dry ingredients

add one cup of water and stir preferably with a wooden spoon, once it forms it kinda looks like a bad mixture, kinda flaky, but thats normal. work it into a loaf but dont work it hard or itll be tough and wont rise.

grab one piece of the dough, form it quick into a circle and press gently to flatten it out on a lightly floured surface. make 3-4 and add to your oil when ready

then ya just eyeball it. they should rise. if not, you worked the dough too hard or formed them too hard, its a fine balance. flip after about 6-7 minutes or until browned, cook other side similar. you just have to eyeball whether its ready or not. not light coloured, not too dark either

add to a plate with papertowel to soak up some of the oil

this only makes 3-4 pieces, but you can easily adjust the simple ingredients to your preference.

myself, i prefer to keep making more dry mixes and keep doing 3-4 at a time.  i can easily have 4 more ready as the first batch is pulled

anyhow, here is the kids making it for sloppy joes(totally their idea) and it turned out awesome! but remember frybread is very filling!

mixkItj.jpg

lwbeQUu.jpg

HyFTu1q.jpg

B3Q6NTS.jpg

Y2oOL1I.jpg

ZtMmTrA.jpg

ksBHt9x.jpg

bonus pics from a few nights ago, homemade chicken balls and chicken fried rice (done with partrdge not chicken)

o3GFemD.jpg

pqO1Iew.jpg

these were deadly good! nothing to look at really but tonnes of flavour!

52 minutes ago, dave524 said:

MB2, with our weight loss program we have swapped out the white rice in our recipes with Quinoa, including fried rice, you should give it a go, there is actually food value to it rather than empty carbs. 

i actually prefer quinoa over rice as crazy as it may sound...flavours are pretty close but i like the texture of quinoa a friggin lot. As mentioned its also way way better for you.

If you like the taste of quinoa, than you should buy it. If you are eating it because it is a "better" alternative to other grains, time to do some reading! Good ole barley has more of everything than quinoa has, at one tenth the price.

HH

Edited by Headhunter
spelling

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

i actually prefer quinoa over rice as crazy as it may sound...flavours are pretty close but i like the texture of quinoa a friggin lot. As mentioned its also way way better for you.

If you like quinoa, Costco has a really nice Greek Style salad made with it.  I  like the slightly nutty flavour over white rice as well, make it up with chicken broth and mixed veggies like a pilaf as a side or like MB2 as a fried rice type dish.  I understand it has protein not sure if barley has that?

53 minutes ago, dave524 said:

If you like quinoa, Costco has a really nice Greek Style salad made with it.  I  like the slightly nutty flavour over white rice as well, make it up with chicken broth and mixed veggies like a pilaf as a side or like MB2 as a fried rice type dish.  I understand it has protein not sure if barley has that?

thtas the other thing...IMO i think eating quinoa cold is not doing it justice....get that stuff hot with some roasted broccoli and some barbecued chicken with some tzaziki sauce....damn my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

28 minutes ago, leaf4 said:

I haven't made it in some time, but quinoa burgers are awesome! Toss them in the oven so they don't fall apart and dress them just like a regular burger everyone I've ever made them for loved them

The one that use the mashed black beans as well ???

edit : must be sausage making time, I just saw Loblaws/Superstore had a cooler full of pork shoulders at $1.18 a pound, didn't catch the metric in small print :rofl2:

Edited by dave524

14 hours ago, dave524 said:

MB2, with our weight loss program we have swapped out the white rice in our recipes with Quinoa, including fried rice, you should give it a go, there is actually food value to it rather than empty carbs. 

Good on ya! We normally do it the same but for us, this was a post workout meal. 

The nutrition comes from elsewhere. After training you WANT high glycemic carbs to increase insulin production, IGF-1 and replenishing glycogen.

Quinoa and barley are both Staples in our diet.

I've get the bodyfat loss science to a t, lol. And I should, I've only studied that and related fields for 19 years.

If ya ever want some tips pm me.

And again, good on ya looking out for your health and we'll being!

5 hours ago, manitoubass2 said:

Quinoa and barley are both Staples in our diet.

I've get the bodyfat loss science to a t, lol. And I should, I've only studied that and related fields for 19 years.

If ya ever want some tips pm me.

And again, good on ya looking out for your health and we'll being!

Quinoa subs well for rice but other than a handful of barley in homemade vegetable beef soup I have never used it. My wife started Weight Watchers last Dec and I follow for moral support, so far she is down over 70 and I over 60lbs.  in 13 months. I am sold on that plan and you eat regular food too , no expensive diet meals. Initially when 245 I set a goal of 200 , now I just weighed 180.4 yesterday will maintain that 180 weight. After trying  a medical weight loss clinic for over a year with little success, I would recommend Weight Watchers , easy to follow, with zero count foods there is no reason to be hungry and it worked for us even with no exercise plan and very little physical activity as we are 67 and 59:rolleyes: retired 9 years . 

Nothing wrong with weight watchers and I'm glad it's worked so well for youse!

It's basically just relearning or learning to eat for fuel/nutrition.

Alot of people don't understand how much they overeat.

That's ok too. As long as you get lots of cardio and weight training. 

After all food is one thing in this life we can enjoy!

its taken me my entire life but i figured out a diet that works for me and keep me hovering in the 175-180 range while feeling great...the biggest challenge then simply becomes avoiding eating absolutely garbage all of the time.

Its amazing if you just stick to the idea that from Sunday afternoon to Friday afternoon that you wont eat any garbage, drink any pop or beer etc and not eat complex carbs after lunch time...you are pretty much gonna shred weight. 

Dieting is rough on me because I have an absolutely huge appetite, so instead i just sub healthy low calorie stuff for the filler. Mainly in the form of lettuce in salad. I am also sure that it helps that I go on a crazy training regime to really turbo boost the weight loss...but maintaining is easy.

Im headed to Japan in February, ive got 5 days of snowboarding and one of those will be alpine touring where I will be climbing 1000m on a split board and riding down back country mountains...aka im training hard

My diet is simple but effective

Protein shake in the morning, at 11 cheese bagel with turkey, light mayo mustard lettuce and pickles plus a big salad with tomatos and whatever dressing it doesnt need to even be heatlhy. Fills me up...hit the gym at 2, come back eat half a protein bar...then for dinner i literally eat whatever meat I want and salad, no bread, no rice, no carbs...I literally can eat as much salad as I want until i eat so much salad that im pretty much feeling like i could throw up lol. To drink? Water only and sometimes a coffee around 12pm. When you get a craving for something junky at like 9pm...i drink those 0 cal flavoured waters with stevia...they taste awesome and curb the cravings incredibly.

My manager went on weight watchers last year...he wasnt really struggling at all and he lost 30lbs in a few months...that stuff really seems to work. He said he was never hungry either because he just ate a pile of low point or no point foods as snacks all the time. He threw in a few long walks per week and didnt cash in the points he gained back and absolutely shredded weight.

Edited by AKRISONER