possible bald eagle sighting

mercforever

Word around Ontario is that since the ban of DDT, they have began to make a recovery. There are natural Bald Eagles nesting in the Hamilton Botanical Gardens. The government actually closed part of the park to ensure that they were not disturbed while nesting.

I personally saw 2 bald eagles on seperate occaisions in the Parry Sound area for the first time in 16 years just this fall. I am sure others would attest that yes Bald Eagles have been in this area a while, but speaking with my parents sightings are becoming more abundant.

My hope is that with their return, they put pressure on the booming comorand population, from what i could see the one bald eagle that decided to land on a small reef out in the middle of a bay sure pissed off the resident comorands but also had them scrambling the heck out of there.

Edited by AKRISONER

They've been moving into the Kawarthas for the last few years and they sure are nice to see.

Took this picture from my boat 6 or 7 years back north of Peterboro.

Cnv0123.jpg

And had these 2 circling above my house near Burliegh Falls 2 years ago.

003-13.jpg

when I was a kid,they used to walk to this big sandbar across from our house when the tide was out.me and my sister used to see how close we could get from them.my buddys dad had a small farm up river,aftr butchering a cow,theyd bring the gutpile down on the enterval,nothing to see 20 at a time

They were certainly here in Haldimand County in good numbers cruising the north shore of Erie. So abundant apparently that the MNR gave Samsung the OK to cut down an occupied nest across the road from us on Fisherville Rd. to erect 3 Wind Turbines here in the fall a few years ago. I still want to scream when I think about it. Money and politics can make anything happen. I used to see them every other week before that cut down that nest, not now. I've not seen a single Eagle last year and very few since the hundreds of turbines went up. I have no scientific quantified numbers, just not many sighting by us since, must be co incidence.

very cool to see them making a comeback in southern ON, saw a few around port Stanley growing up

I have a love/hate relationship with baldies...tend to be better fishing when they're around, but they are sometimes bold and very keen on salmon gut piles....also entire salmon if you're not careful and have it tied to the drift boat lol

Just happened to see an adult Bald Eagle today while driving to work...just north of Waterloo. It was standing in a farmers field eating something the farmer must have discarded, along with a bunch of crows. They have become more common here in the last few years, especially along the Conestogo and Grand rivers. I never seem to get over how large they appear, surprises me every time!

This year there are even a couple golden eagles hanging out with them.

Do you think they were Golden Eagles or could have been juvenile Bald Eagles? Juveniles are overall dark brown and don't aquire the characteristic adult plumage "white head and tail" for several years. Just a thought.

Glad to see the posts...I thought I was seeing things a few months ago - saw 2 up in Severn Bridge, just past the canal. Was on the highway, so did not get a good look, but I could have swore they were Bald Eagles. Had no idea they used to be in this area - be really cool if they are back.