HDMI cable

lew

Morning boyz

I've got a 52" Samsung TV in the den that I'm moving to the family room and am replacing it with a 60" Samsung Smart TV. I haven't opened the box yet but looking at it this morning it says only one cable required for both audio & visual but it's not included so I have to go buy one. I've heard before that the very expensive HDMI cables aren't required and a cheapy will do but I want to know from you TV experts what to buy.

If it takes the expensive one that's not a problem but I don't want to waste un-needed money.

I have to leave here at 7:45 this morning to head down to Peterboro so I can get whatever I need while I'm there without having to make another trip.

If it makes a difference, the new TV is a 60" Samsung Smart with 240Hz and will be running off a Bell satellite box.

I've got 4 other Samsungs and they all run off multible cables.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Edited by lew

I just went through the whole thing Lew. I also bought a Samsung Smart TV. Luckily there is a place in Ottawa that sells HDMI cables at a buck a foot. I needed 4 cables varying from 4' to 8' in length. I paid $40 for the lot. Place is called "Whatever you want", you could expect to pay double elsewhere. Super easy to hook up. Amazing technology. I expect you could order from there or if you want to send me the lengths you need, I would gladly pick them up and mail them to you overnight delivery.

Apparently there is not much difference in quality. These are cheaper due to no packaging, just a plastic ziplock.

Edited by muskymatt

I would gladly pick them up and mail them to you overnight delivery.

Thanks Matt, very generous of you but not required, I only need one so I'll get it in town.

And thanks to you too IFH, I'll have a look.

Just buy them at cnd tire or walmart

The reason for the high priced cables is because of the gold content and mating cycles. The more you plug and unplug them the better the cable you need

How often do you unplug your tv?

Anything under 8 feet buy the cheapest cable you can find

Head to xscargo.... Or the dollar store. HDMI send a digital signal, and are not affected by electromagnetic fields like analog cables are... You will have the same quality image with a 5 dollar cable as you will with a 50 dollar cable...

All 1's and 0's....

Grab a cheapie.

G.

Cheap ones are just fine from my experience. I ordered 5 6' cables from Amazon for $10 total a couple years ago based on internet forum recommendations. The dollar store ones are probably OK, just buy a couple in case of premature failure. They are probably all made in China anyway, no matter where you buy them from.

I personally can't see or hear the difference with the HDMI cable connected. Is it supposed to make a big difference because I don't see it? We are on Bell satellite and get 1080P. Big difference between the SD and HD channels.

You wouldn't be getting HD without that HDMI cable. But as far as one cable vs another? No, zero difference.

You wouldn't be getting HD without that HDMI cable. But as far as one cable vs another? No, zero difference.

Component cables (red, blue, green) will provide HD television up to 1080i where as HDMI cables will go up to 1080p. Component cables must not be confused with the old RCA (yellow, white, red) as they're not capable of HD.

This in when it pays off having friends at Future Shop who can sell you a $99 HDMI cable at their cost of $8-$9...

Edited by ch312

Component cables (red, blue, green) will provide HD television up to 1080i where as HDMI cables will go up to 1080p. Component cables must not be confused with the old RCA (yellow, white, red) as they're not capable of HD.

This in when it pays off having friends at Future Shop who can sell you a $99 HDMI cable at their cost of $8-$9...

I don't think the new Bell receivers even have component outputs anymore.

Best place for cheap cables used to be Monoprice, I order all kinds of stuff from them.

I don't think the new Bell receivers even have component outputs anymore.

Best place for cheap cables used to be Monoprice, I order all kinds of stuff from them.

I was simply pointing out that component cables are in fact capable of HD as most people are led to believe that HDMI cables are the only cables that work for HD.

Those electronic stores at dixie and matheson are pretty cheap for all things a/v. Pacific mall in the east end too.

Ps you arent getting 1080p from any cable or satellite provider as nobody broadcasts in 1080p. Your tv upcoverts