spincast

Have a video of Nolan Whitesell running the Gorge in an open canoe. THAT makes your jaw drop when you understand the power of whirlpools and death eddies with massive fences (differential between moving water and an eddy and can often be measured in feet).

Would like to have seen a higher angle to see what their lines were as most of the video looked like they were not in the meat in the middle.

Ummmmm, no thanks. As fun as it looks, I don't think I could do it! But hey, had some pretty hairy days on Bay of Quinte like that, Paul jumping the waves and we both giggled and went woohooo all the way back to the lodge :)

Edited by Joey

they don't. the gorge is too powerful for them. If you walk along that boardwalk you see in the intro, you can really appreciate the force of that water - all the water that goes over both falls in running down a section that is about a football field wide. It makes the section between the whirlpool and the Queenston bridge look like a relaxing paddle in comparison.

never seen this before, is there a set course or they just zip around? jet drive, fiberglass boats?

Chris it is a metal boat with jet drive. The course is set up with lots of turns and it is up too the navigator to steer the driver. When they did the onboard you will see his hand in front pointing the direction of the turns. They are 454 blown engines with burkley jetdrives and fins to steer. They are wicked fast and turn on a dime. It is called SPRINT boat racing and they are done in a field that they have dug out trenches and then filled with water. It is not main stream but very popular in Australia. Another fun race to see is unlimited outboard boat racing. We used to marshal the course on jetskies keeping the spectators from anchoring on the course as well as checking on the drivers if they blackout from the gees in the turn. Watch them on the straights they air it out and then slam it down and corner on a rail.

Never had the stones to make it any further upstream than the US power plant.

There be some giant standing waves in that place. :w00t:

http://www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/white-water-walk-facts.html

we did the jetboat tour one day as a family on a warm July day - an absolute riot! Amazing the power and skill of the operator, just hovering in the water next to Devil's hole and at various points along the way, including where the gorge enters into the whirlpool. The guide said the stretch above the whirlpool would have been too strong for the boats and potentially would rip them apart. We ended up purchasing pass for the day that gave us access to almost all of the features of the park. I was surprised how much I enjoyed all the things we did - under the falls, maid of the mist, walk along the gorge and a bunch of stuff. Its a great way to spend time with the family, although I will say, it was pretty expensive.

This is a vid I made mostly for the family. If you watch just to the right of the bow at about 1.45 as we race up the glen you can see a nice bow jump . Just go to the 1.00 minute mark to see the ride start

http://www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/white-water-walk-facts.html

we did the jetboat tour one day as a family on a warm July day - an absolute riot! Amazing the power and skill of the operator, just hovering in the water next to Devil's hole and at various points along the way, including where the gorge enters into the whirlpool. The guide said the stretch above the whirlpool would have been too strong for the boats and potentially would rip them apart. We ended up purchasing pass for the day that gave us access to almost all of the features of the park. I was surprised how much I enjoyed all the things we did - under the falls, maid of the mist, walk along the gorge and a bunch of stuff. Its a great way to spend time with the family, although I will say, it was pretty expensive.

This is a vid I made mostly for the family. If you watch just to the right of the bow at about 1.45 as we race up the glen you can see a nice bow jump . Just go to the 1.00 minute mark to see the ride start

Keep in mind the first video is of jetboating UPSTREAM from the Whirlpool, some of the biggest whitewater in North America...

Edited by Pigeontroller

It'd be a crazy enough ride running the Niagara in that little jet boat but doing it in a kayak is just plain NUTS :lol:

The video doesn't seem to be on youtube but I have video of Nolan Whitesell descending the same water in an open canoe. If you think kayaking is gnar, an open boat takes it up a notch or two. If I ever figure out how to digitize video tape, will post a clip of it.

Fortunately, the Gorge doesn't appear to have any death holes or keepers but whirlpools would be a problem as would flush drowning.