Blocking phone calls

lew

For about a year off and on now I've been receiving phone calls from someone claiming to be raising funds for the Canadian Special Olympics. I told him I wasn't interested but every couple months he'd call back and I'd just hang up on him. Couple days back he called again, this time demanding the $30 I pledged even though no pledge was made but I can't print here what I said to him.

Last couple days he's called but won't speak when we answer. I now have his # by the phone so I don't need to answer when he calls.

I contacted Bell today to have his # blocked but they claim they can't block him because it's probably a mobile phone.

If you type his phone number into GOOGLE all sorts of things come up about this guy bugging plenty of folks with different scams.

Bell claims they know about him but there's nothing they can do about it and asked me to contact the Canadian Anti Fraud Center and report him

Just seems strange to me that Bell can't do anything about this jerk. My 1st thought was to close his phone account but that doesn't seem to be a possibility for some reason.

Anyways, that's my little rant for a Thursday afternoon.

Edited by lew

Sadly, Lew, the law isn't so simple. Unless this person is convicted of telephone fraud, Bell can't do much without risking a lawsuit. The police need to go after the con artist.

Even if Bell blocks him, he can just do what every other annoying telemarketer does, and pick up other phone numbers with other phone providers.

post his phone number...i'm sure some of us enjoy prank phone calls

you sure you can't block his number? I have a few blocked on my personal cell phone with telus...just googled bells policy, so they say the below instructions won't work if he's calling from a mobile?

http://support.bell.ca/Home_Phone/Calling_features/How_does_Call_Screen_on_my_Bell_Home_phone_work?step=2#displayStep

Call Screen is a Call Privacy feature that allows you to block up to 12 phone numbers. These callers will receive a voicemail saying that you aren't taking calls at this time. Your home phone will not ring and the screened caller is unable to leave a message on your voicemail.

How to use Call Screen

How to use Call Screen
Action Instructions How to turn Call Screen on and off.

Once your list is established, you can turn it on or off.

1. Dial *60 (1160 on a rotary phone). A voice message will let you know whether your list is on or off.
  2. Press 3 to turn your list on or off. Remember: The list must be turned on to stop unwanted callers.
How to add a caller to your list.
  1. Dial *60 (1160 on a rotary phone).
  2. Respond to the voice prompts by pressing #0, #1 (12, 01 on a rotary phone).
How to remove a caller from your list.
  1. Dial *60 (1160 on a rotary phone).
  2. Press 1 to hear the list of unwanted callers (11 on a rotary phone).
  3. Press 7 to remove a number from the list.

Bell can do anything they want but are limited by law. They can't give out person phone records until compelled to by court order for example. It is frustrating and I share your pain. Just when I was reading this I got a robo call. If I say hello and no one says hello back with a second or 2, bye, bye, click. It works. They will put you on their own " Do not call list " eventually.

bare foot wader, that's the exact process I went through this morning and when I couldn't block it is when I contacted Bell. Shame though that Bells hands are tied with something like this.

I tried phoning the anti fraud number given to me by Bell but after 10 minutes on hold I gave up and will contact them by email tomorrow. They have a recording that recommends this anyways.

bare foot wader, that's the exact process I went through this morning and when I couldn't block it is when I contacted Bell. Shame though that Bells hands are tied with something like this.

I tried phoning the anti fraud number given to me by Bell but after 10 minutes on hold I gave up and will contact them by email tomorrow. They have a recording that recommends this anyways.

Lew call Bell and tell them you are going to Rogers. :) works every time.

I was able to block a few numbers with my telus cell phone (888 number for parking tickets)....but I don't recall telus having the best service when I was in ON...can never have the best of all worlds

be good to report him to anti fraud centre, but doubt is does much in the long run, jsut start over with a new number by the sounds of it

Lew, I hear your pain!! Mom has had someone calling for years and can't do anything about it, then the other day, early in the morning ( I think Sunday), I was still in bed and Paul was up and I hear the phone ring and him answer and I can hear his end of the conversation "No, I don't think there's anything wrong with my computer and it's not even an HP Microsoft." So I immediately jump out of bed and say "Hon, it's a scam, don't give them any info." By then, he's already on his computer giving them info!!!!

I kept saying as he was talking "It's a scam, the oldest one in the book, something wrong with your computer" but of course he's talking to them and not listening to me in the background. He starts giving them info and I finally had to yell "don't give them any info, it's a scam" so he heard me that time and said "give me your number and I'll call you back, my wife says not to give you any info."

He hung up and they called back right away and I answered and he went through the whole Bull again about something wrong with our computer, can they take over and I told him we're not interested and he immediately hung up on me.

Gotta be careful these days. Scammers out there everywhere.

Wish I knew how to block them for you Lew, but they're smart these days and change numbers all the time :(

Lew, went through the same damn thing here...........they can't block these calls but can change my phone number for a extra charge. I then asked them what's stopping these calls to my new number........The SILENCE was deafening.........So now when I get these calls I go on the offensive....meaning I want to be offensive to them.....Them....."we are calling to lower your credit card interest rates"........Me...... "So what are you wearing........do you go both ways".......CLICK........no more calls from those idiots.... Happy Happy Happy on this end of the receiver............ :)

Bell WILL change your home phone number free of charge only if you say the following "Harassing Calls!" You can tell them 20 times in a row annoying and bothersome calls and want to change your number its a cost. If you say you 'keep getting harassing calls" then that's the key to a free number change. I hope that help you Lew and others in need of that oh and those over the age of 65 can also get 411 for free added to your account too. ;)

post this guys #.. I have a few ideas..When he calls again just say hold one minute..Set the phone down and walk away..Hang it back up in 10 minutes when he is gone..Keep doing that and he will stop wasting his time on you.

This what I do when I am being playfull. "Johnny, hold on Ima getta him ride away, JOHNNY................JOHNNY, telefona for you. Put he phone next to the CD player and put on a Dean Martin CD. Listen for a few tunes then go back to the phone, if they are still there I am amazed and say, You there Mr? Yes sir, Johnny no home, click. Actally heavy metal might work well too. My luck shes a metal head!

As I have said here many times my brother supervised a call center for a time. They have a system on their auto dial computer that has there own do not call list, F around with them enough and they will put you on their do not call list. The same companies sell these list as well as the list of numbers that people give them from filling out forms for that " New BBQ" at the mall, just give us all your info and could win this " Free all inlcusive trip" pictured here. I asked one young lady where is the trip to? She pointed to a picture of Diamond Head and said Jamaica.

Someone once offered us some good money to sell them our data base of customers, just came into the showroom and pitched us. Offered us a huge list of leads in our line of business as incentive. Another scam in itself. This world of scammers and those legal pains in the ass is highly organized.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I get calls for duct cleaning all the time. One time, I disguised my voice as an elderly man.

"Hi. We have a crew in your area and we can give you a great deal on duct cleaning since we are already there"

"What did you say sonny?"

"Clean your ducts"

"I don't own any ducks. I don't live on a farm"

"No sir, I said ducts"

"I told you. I don't have any ducks, but I have a dog. They make much better pets than a duck would"

"DUCT cleaning. D-u-c-t-s"

"How many times do I have to say it son? I don't have any ducks, and even if I did I'm pretty sure they clean themselves!"

Click

I laughed my butt off when he hung up!

I get calls for duct cleaning all the time. One time, I disguised my voice as an elderly man.

"Hi. We have a crew in your area and we can give you a great deal on duct cleaning since we are already there"

"What did you say sonny?"

"Clean your ducts"

"I don't own any ducks. I don't live on a farm"

"No sir, I said ducts"

"I told you. I don't have any ducks, but I have a dog. They make much better pets than a duck would"

"DUCT cleaning. D-u-c-t-s"

"How many times do I have to say it son? I don't have any ducks, and even if I did I'm pretty sure they clean themselves!"

Click

I laughed my butt off when he hung up!

I never knew the person that came up with the " I have ducks" line, now I have, funny anyway.

My phone rang off the hook with the duck cleaning service. I finally made the appointment and made sure I was on the lake all day. Then rescheduled and went golfing. Never called again. And I really don't have forced air. Maybe next time I'll be here and when the guy that drove in from the city sees that I will tell him I just wanted to prove I don't have any ducts or ducks except the one on the lack to clean. Maybe I will but don't expect them to call back after 2 no homes.

Our do not call list down here in the states is a joke. All robo calls should be allowed to be blocked, as well as calls from our morons in Washington.

Do we even have legislation in Canada that can go after these guys? The last I heard the " Do not call list" was run by a consumer watchdog group. Nothing else, now that's a joke. If there is legislation I can imagine the lack of enforcement if it's as effective as other laws they don't enforce here, like the piddly fines for poaching game.