Another theft (NF)

DanD

I've had it with the thieves; but what to do? It feels like it gets worse every day and when you get ripped off, it really hits home.

I bought an old enclosed 16 foot trailer that was in need of a bunch of work. No problem, I/we fixed it up and it will work perfect for hauling around a pig BBQ spit and all the crap that goes along with cooking a whole 160 to 180 pond pig.

I had everything in this trailer, well until Sat or Sunday night; when someone decided they wanted some of my stuff.

This morning (Monday) I opened my shop up and had a look around; I noticed that my trailer’s side door is half open; a door that was bolted shut from the inside.

Go have a look and see that it was broken into; they couldn’t cut the pad lock, so they pried the side door off its hinges.

Inside the trailer has been turned upside down with everything they didn’t want thrown around. My generator is gone, along with a bunch of cooking utensils. The genny isn’t worth getting the cops involved or the insurance company’s inquisition as to whether it was stolen or not or its worth.

I thought Karma was something that comes around; if it does what the hell did I do to deserve having my stuff stolen?

What I mean is that I use this BBQ spit to caterer too family, friends or fund raiser functions. Most times I donate the pig, equipment and my time to roast the son of a whine. Last Saturday I spent close to $400.00 on a weight distribution hitch for the trailer; so that I could tow it safely. I walk in today and find a pad lock beaten to crap, a side door pulled off its hinge and my generator gone;

Sorry if this isn’t where I should post this or if it should have been posted at all;

Dan.

That really stinks Dan, you try to be a good guy and help others and these punks couldn't care less.

Until our poor excuse for a justice system starts punishing these pieces of garbage there's not much deterrent for them.

My heart goes out to you, I know the feeling all too well, violated is the best word I can think of to describe it!

Report it to the police, I realize it isn't worth putting in an insurance claim on it but at least the cops will know what to watch for. The people that did this to you are doing it to others.

Watch pawn shops and things like Kijiji for someone selling a generator and post as much information on here as you can to help identify the stuff that was stolen.

I hope you get your stuff back but just remember; the bad karma isn't yours, it is theirs!

Edited by Big Cliff

Well I called the cops this morning to report it and all they did was take a description of the genny and gave me an occurrence number. Haven't seen anyone in person and will likely not either.

I don't know that reporting it was a good idea or not? 20 plus years ago; when I ran a garage and gas station, I had an armed robbery and then about 6 months later I had a break-in. No one was ever caught; the insurance company paid for everything; but then when it came to renew my insurance policy, they dropped me and refused too insure me.

Talk about a hassle getting another company to pick up my policy; when they found out I was dropped by another.

Dan.

My heart goes out to you, I know the feeling all too well, violated is the best word I can think of to describe it!

Report it to the police, I realize it isn't worth putting in an insurance claim on it but at least the cops will know what to watch for. The people that did this to you are doing it to others.

Watch pawn shops and things like Kijiji for someone selling a generator and post as much information on here as you can to help identify the stuff that was stolen.

I hope you get your stuff back but just remember; the bad karma isn't yours, it is theirs!

x2

sorry to learn about your situation here Dan.

Would tend to agree "violated' is the appropriate word here.

Not to sure about the Karma thing-if only justice was that simple.

I'll share with you..bought a home in Oakville a dozen years ago-the sellers kid obviously had keys to his home-- hadn't had a chance to change the locks-kid stole a bunch of stuff--my wife used the word "violated"-she never felt comfortable in that home.

We found the kid --we went to the local donut shop and publically announced 200 cash for the kids name.

Got the same name 3 times.

We spoke with his Father-fill in the blanks!

Coppers did nothing--Bubble -Wrapped Kids

Hope you get your gear back

Paul

Well I called the cops this morning to report it and all they did was take a description of the genny and gave me an occurrence number. Haven't seen anyone in person and will likely not either.

I don't know that reporting it was a good idea or not? 20 plus years ago; when I ran a garage and gas station, I had an armed robbery and then about 6 months later I had a break-in. No one was ever caught; the insurance company paid for everything; but then when it came to renew my insurance policy, they dropped me and refused too insure me.

Talk about a hassle getting another company to pick up my policy; when they found out I was dropped by another.

Dan.

refused because they paid out a claim, not because reported to police...insurance companies are almost criminals IMO, only worth claiming if you have a serious theft

I just think reporting is a good idea cause it gives the police realistic stats to work with, maybe get more patrol in your area

and you never know what they recover down the road...they asked me for serial numbers and detailed descriptions, said if they ever find something suspect and run numbers through their system, it'll come up as a hit for stolen property, and they can press charges

Sorry to hear about your loss DanD

Can anybody enlighten me as to what are these slugs that steal stuff like that, are doing with it to get money out of it?

I hear so many stories like this, where a crime is committed to take something from somebody. The people that are robbed freely admit it isn't worth calling the cops. Also it isn't worth the deductible, much less the forcible bending over they will take with the tripling of their insurance premiums for the next 5 to 10 yrs for the items that were taken from them, to make a claim.

So seriously where or who is dumb enough to give the losers who take this stuff, anything for it? I don't get it because if they are dopers stealing stuff to sell on kijiji seems like more effort than than they would put out. Also wouldn't their cell phone be the first thing they hock at a pawn shop to get a fix, so how could buyers get a hold of them.... LOL Also how many generators, car stereos could a dealer accept in place of cash?

I am missing something I guess.

They likely wouldn't have to publicly advertise their stolen goods. A friend of a friend's uncle wants something. The word gets out in their circle of buddies and they go midnight shopping.

Here you go, fresh off the back of the truck and it comes to you at a 5 finger discount.

There's a market out there; supply and demand is what drives these bums.

It likely didn't take them more then 15 minute to snatch my stuff; lets say they sold it for 200 bucks. That's not a bad income, when they're pulling in $800.00 an hour.

If they get caught what's the worst that'll happen; free room and board and while they're there, they may as well get their high-school degree; because that'll be free as well.

Dan.

refused because they paid out a claim, not because reported to police

But there's a police record of a theft at that place of business and believe me the insurance companies check the track record of a location; whether it was your place or not when the reports went in.

When I asked a couple of companies what I had to do for them to cover me; they said move.

Dan.

so a house that has been robbed can never be insured again, regardless of owner/tenant?

No I didn't say that; but a residence in a high crime area or a business location that has been hit more then the average will pay higher premiums. After I was dropped by the company that had my policy, I did find insurance; but I was paying almost double. The new company also demanded a monitored alarm system and surveillance camera system. You can get anyplace insured, it just depends on how much you are willing to pay for proper coverage.

Dan.

Not that this is going to help at this point but I know what you're going through. You feel violated after this happens. We actually moved from what we thought was a pretty good neighbourhood because of thefts. Here's a pretty cool link that shows crimes reported to police on a map. Just put in your address and adjust for time frame and it'll show you reported crimes in that area. You might actually be able to see others in your neighbourhood who've been hit.

www.crimereports.org

Reporting this was a good idea Dan. A friend of my records police stats in a database with a mapping system and the police do step up patrols and look at the type of crime pattern taking place, so if there are break and enters into vehicles they look closely in peoples driveways.