Cold Water Musky Advice?

James77

Hey Guys,

Heading up to Lower Buckhorn this weekend, going to try Musky for the last time this year.

I'm very new to targeting them, what is the go to bait size as the water gets cold? It seems the weather is really going to dip this weekend. I'm assuming with slower presentation?

Where do you look for them in the cold fronts?

Thanks for any advice, you guys have been a great help and I've successfully landed and released 4 muskies this fall.

Still looking for that 40" er though :)

Thanks.

Nailed a 42 in on Pigeon 2 weeks ago. Water temp was 54 F. Trolled 3 mph

I bet temps are now in the high fourties.

I'm thinking slower presentation.

I remember a show where Charlie Wray was doing well on the Kawarthas in 45 degree water but had to slow way down

He was casting.

Saying that, in deeper water, temps are still warmer. That's where the big girls are likely hangin out.

i would still start big if casting big mag dogs etc, and would go for glide baits especially the drop bellies, and suspending or weighted ones which will hang in there face longer, and not pop up to the surface, ie Hellhounds would fit this, trolling 10 to 14 inch grammas, jakes, believers etc, varie speeds up to about 3.7km, casting minnow baits ie Bomber Long A mags, one of my go to's and deptraiders, phantums etc would also be a good bet, i would first be looking at sharp breaks into deep water, also green weeds should still hold fish, sunken reefs, the first drop off from the shoreline, which will usually be close to where the first weed edge will usually end, and also the 2nd break especially this time of year where it breaks into the basin, as turnover is through, and bait should be deeper, especially during the day, most important is the ability to fish till dusk, and be mentally ready at that time, as the last hour of light can, and usually produces big fish. If you have a big follow during the day, you want to be on that big fish spot the last hour of daylight. I will be doing the exact same thing this weekend and this will also be my go to plan, along with the above standard musky tackle, i will have a couple of fly rods, one with an intermediate sink tip, and the other a full sink to get to the 20 foot level, and flies from 8 to 12 inches Good luck

We are trying Balsam. We can compare notes after...lol. I am not sure on cold water myself, but figured a little slower - but will see what happens.

usually the colder the slower, which is what we as anglers are programmed to think, that would be a good rule of thumb, or starting point, but if it doesnt work do something different, ie fish a little faster, regardless of water temps fish still have to eat, although most late fall feeding windows are very short, and usually not too many of them in a day, maybe only one, pay attention to moon phases, if your GPS has them thats even better.

I was on Stoco last weekend and caught 2 over 40". Trolling about 3mph with a 10" jointed believer in about 30 FOW where the river flows into the lake.

They hit like a freight train

Pics and report or it didn't happen.

I fish right until ice up and the colder it gets we seem to do well on suicks.

I fish right until ice up and the colder it gets we seem to do well on suicks.

I don't cast cold water muskies anymore but when I did, large Suicks were the bait I'd always start off with. I always added extra weight to increase hang time and they were very effective.

Hey Guys,

Heading up to Lower Buckhorn this weekend, going to try Musky for the last time this year.

I'm very new to targeting them, what is the go to bait size as the water gets cold? It seems the weather is really going to dip this weekend. I'm assuming with slower presentation?

Where do you look for them in the cold fronts?

Thanks for any advice, you guys have been a great help and I've successfully landed and released 4 muskies this fall.

Still looking for that 40" er though :)

Thanks.

So - how did you do? We got skunked. In the water at 9AM (ish) and out at 3. Casting, trolling. Tried buzzbaits, cranks, deep cranks...nothing. We may have marked some fish - right on the bottom.

Never bring Bananas!

We got skunked as well on the musky action. I tried a lot of the advice. One of my fishing buddies thought he had a pretty good hit on a red bucktail but we can not confirm that it happened.

The cottage just so happens to sit on a prime bay for night time Walleye fishing.

Friday night I tried my luck at 3:30 am and locked into an absolute monster. Icy dock made him hard to land and he got off before I got him into shore.

Saturday night we had 8 Walleye landed within a 2 hour span. The biggest being 28" the smallest being 21" (No keepers :( ) and the average being about 25-26".

These were some fat fish.

It's strange they come in so shallow but only in spring and fall. I've only ever managed a couple small ones on summer nights.

So in other words wasn't a waste of a weekend lol.

Take a look at Danny Columby's site, nipissingmuskies.com and see what he has to say. This man knows his Musky. We hired him at the beginning of October, 2 nice Muskies in the boat in a few hours. Smartest thing I've done fishing this year.

Good site, very interesting read.

James, that's some hot walleye fishing!!!

i love night time walleye fishing...

if you don't mind me asking, how deep of water are you fishing off the shore, and, what type of presentation did you use to entice those hungry walleye?

Edited by Steve

James, that's some hot walleye fishing!!!

i love night time walleye fishing...

if you don't mind me asking, how deep of water are you fishing off the shore, and, what type of presentation did you use to entice those hungry walleye?

Hey Steve,

The bay is about 2 feet deep on the outer rim and about 8 feet at the deepest. Most fish were caught throwing a Flat Rap in the current and using an extremely slow retrieve bringing it in. (I have to venture into the river on some rocks.)

I was also able to entice a couple by using a twitch and pause with it. It was amazing the moon was out like crazy and you could see the eyes glowing when they were cruising around.

There were a couple I could see but could not convince to take a lure, which is a first for me. I tried switching to a smaller rap (normally use the 10cm) and that didn't work either. I didn't have any live bait. They seemed like they just weren't hungry for my yummy flat rap.

Just be careful, in Buckhorn (zone 17) the Walleye season ends this weekend. I had no idea, I thought it was until Ice but I checked out of caution and next weekend is the end.

James

• 3 weeks later...

haha nice thread, anyone know if pigeon has open water?

would like to get one more musky day in before season is over.

if there is open water, is there any open boat launches as well?

Dont know about Pigeon, but there is open water with ice free launches, and muskies to be had, but lakes are starting to really tighten up, rivers on the other hand :whistling: fish are pounding big flies, when other guys are using glides, jerks and big rubber on conventional musky gear and moving nothing.