285,000 new immigrants in 2015

Big Cliff

http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/politics/canadian-government-seeks-to-bring-in-285-000-immigrants-in-2015/article/412401

Now, the birth rate for all of Canada 2013/2014 is 385,937 and the Conservatives want to bring in 285,000 new immigrants in 2015, even if we subtract the deaths; 256,721 that is 414,216 new mouths to feed in one year. That is 414,216 new bodies entering our health care system in one year (and you wonder why you have to wait 5+ hours to be seen in emergency).

Since the death rate in Canada for 2013/2014 was 256,721; and since the average life expectancy in Canada is 80, I think it might be safe to extrapolate that the majority of deaths would be people born about 80 years ago (established Canadians). That would leave us with a net growth of 129,216 established Canadian families but more than twice that in new immigrants. (which might explain why we are losing ground when it comes to our customs and traditions)

Now I understand that Canada is a land of immigrants, heck my great grandfather emigrated here from England in the early 1800s. I don’t have anything against someone wanting to come to Canada to try to make a better life for themselves or their families. What I am having trouble understanding is why are we allowing so many new immigrants in?

We have kids graduating college and university that end up having to take jobs working at or slightly above minimum wage because that is all they can find. Over the past year the labour market has only added 156,000 new jobs (according to the Canadian Labour Congress) and the majority of those jobs were in accommodation and food services, a notoriously low paid and precarious sector.

The unemployment rate for recent immigrants (less than 5 years) stood at 13.7%, compared to 6.5% for Canadian born workers, (according to the Canadian Labour Congress). If that is accurate, it means that about 39,000 of these new immigrants are not going to find work, who is going to have to pay for them?

I think it is wonderful that we want to help those less fortunate than ourselves but I also believe that we have to make sure that we take care of our Canada first!

agreed big cliff. immigration years back meant...looking for a new homeland and opportunity. that meant finding work. the immigration social programs are a gravytrain in todays world.. sadly our own voted polisticians have put canadiens in the place we are now... many immigrants have learned how to milk the system. I am not against immigration at all.BUT what about established canadien families. don't we come first.,before filling the gaps with,slackers

Dig a little deeper and you may find that the government's own policies confound and contribute to the problem. It is not easy to get accepted into Canada. The qualifications and skill sets that are considered are few and far between, and driven (by and large) by skilled occupations for which there is an identified need. Yet once the applicants go through the difficult and lengthy process of being accepted, their qualifications are not accepted by the regulatory bodies that oversee the very occupations they were brought to the country to fill.

We have all heard the stories of the Drs driving taxis for instance. I have seen this first hand in several of the immigrant communities I have had exposure to. Statisticians working night shift stocking grocery shelves; Doctors, engineers doing low paying entry level jobs because there is no way for them to have their accreditations accepted.

Maybe if the government spent a little bit of time at the back end of the process, we wouldn't find ourselves in this situation? Maybe instead of having a doctor drive us to the hospital in taxi cab to wait for 5, 10 hours or several days, he or she could treat us upon arrival?

That's 285,000 more votes they get to stay in.

I'm like you our family immigrated, but never took anything Unril my parents turned 64 and had contributed to the sistemo from day one. I've contributing since 1968. Hope I get something back.

Yes let's help but we should be first.

I'll agree with Roy..just a little bit. If they(Gov't) actually screened out the garbage they're letting in, we'd have a whole lot less burden on our systems. I ball refugees and imigrants in the same bag. On the other hand I know an ex Brit Military member that took well over 4 years to get his paperwork stamped to stay in Canada legally. He wants to work, he has a trade, he's not lazy, he's not sick, he wants to contribute.

Roy, I don't have a PROBLEM with immigration! My problem is in understanding how we as a country are going to be able to continue being one of the best places to live if we continue to bring in more people than we can support!

As Spincast put it: Maybe instead of having a doctor drive us to the hospital in taxi cab to wait for 5, 10 hours or several days, he or she could treat us upon arrival?

Even between provinces many accreditations are not recognized never mind foreign countries. Some of these countries have better education than we do!

Our health care system is considered one of the best but how much longer will that be the case if we bring in more people than our economy can support? We are currently ranked 24 out of 34 countries for the highest tax rates (not the right end of the scale to be at). How much more can we give before we have nothing left to give?

I have been working since I was 15 years old, I am 68. For 53 years I have contributed and paid my taxes but today my combined pensions are under $1000.00 a month, a new immigrant coming to Canada gets more than I do, why?

To what spincast said;

I work with new Canadians every day (my company uses a temp agency). To be a doctor in some countries does not require the same amount of education and training as it does here in Canada. I would not want any of these "doctors" to treat me. Same goes with other professional occupations.

exactly. I worked since 16 never outa work. have done some incredibly hard work. unloaded boxcars for 1.25 per hour. and once again paid my way. wheres my pension fund sent too. maybe the policticians that reap kazillions should look at 2 terms and a free pension... maybe the lampreys in Ottawa can re-jig ,who gets what. afterall canadiens have less children. I grew up in the era of 5-10kids in a home. the goverments slapped us outa that. now we need more immigration.funny how Canada is losing its CANADIEN heritage.

To what spincast said;

I work with new Canadians every day (my company uses a temp agency). To be a doctor in some countries does not require the same amount of education and training as it does here in Canada. I would not want any of these "doctors" to treat me. Same goes with other professional occupations.

Yes, and many countries have much higher standards of training. Why do so many Canadian Dr.s go elsewhere for specialized training? Sorry but your argument doesn't hold water.

We have all failed our Country.

To maintain a population every couple need to have 2.85 children and to grow a population you need to have 4+ children.

So the only way to grow our population is immigration, and younger people are the only ones that immigrate .

Older established people with money in there country's don't immigrate.

I have a book that my dad left me. It was given to us by the Canadian consulate in Rome in 1957, it explains what is expected of a new immigrant. Hope they still hand it out and people read it!

This thread may go down very quickly as stated. But we should be intitled to our say without offending anyone.

A great case study on a country with unfavorable (aging) demographics that closed its doors to immigration would be Japan. Net result was a 20 year stagnation in the economy, falling asset prices (look and land and stock market values today in Japan vs the early 90s), and massive government debt as an aging population plus falling tax base (i.e. higher dependency ratio) gutted government coffers. Canada's demographics aren't quite as daunting, but the net result of closing doors to immigration would still be very negative.