"Happy black and orange day.."

jbailey

Of course it's about Halloween itself, and it's very warranted for change. It's candy making kids sick haha, to an outsider (even me, a born catholic), it's a dumb event no matter how much you sugar coat it (so to speak) and try to call it a 'tradition', Let's go back to halloween 100 years ago when it was likely more pure and I'll reconsider my position, then again if I chose not to participate in christian traditions then I likely wouldn't want to participate in halloween .....

There is a catholic school board; I'm sure they have kept that tradition more than the public system. There are also church/religion/community groups that do a great job of gathering people etc, nobody is trying to change a cultural identity, but it should only represent it's actual relevance/weight in society as a whole, still, the biggest point is that halloween is completely money driven now.

Family day is the best holiday and best represents the actual so-called "values" condescendingly and vaguely presented in the commericial holidays, until money ruins that too.

Just keep telling yourself that! The fact is that it isn't just Halloween, it is about all the other things that we are loosing that were part of our heritage, customs, traditions and Christian religion. Halloween is just one more block in the wall that is going to devide this country; are you familiar with the term divide and conquer.

Just keep telling yourself that! The fact is that it isn't just Halloween, it is about all the other things that we are loosing that were part of our heritage, customs, traditions and Christian religion. Halloween is just one more block in the wall that is going to devide this country; are you familiar with the term divide and conquer.

The topic is about halloween, halloween is a bastardized tradition built on freaking people out, marketing, money, unhealthy food and apparently, power. Obviously there will be opposition to it and eventually people will shy away from it. Customs like this have their place, but we can't expect everyone in the country, until the end of time to just play along. Have we ever known a massive group of people who all agree on the same thing forever??

If halloween was actually based on the fall harvest and reducing daylight hours (orange and black) it would be great! Most people don't rely on harvesting anything nor do they need to prepare themselves for winter like the majority of people did, many years ago. It's fallen out of step with the times. I even say this from the persepective of a person (in my early 30's) who rely's heavily on wild food, gardens, raising meat and heating my house with wood off my own property. I wish a custom like halloween could exist, where kids dress up for fun, visit neighbors, and people exchange the things they've harvested/made/preserved that year. Not show off your most expensive pop-cultured costume then drive to a rich suburban neighborhood so you can drive a bunch of snickers into your face.

the relevance of Christianity is a completely different topic haha.

Edited by Rod Caster

it is a tradition..A Canadian one too..I did it and all 3 of my kids did it..Including my 13 year old daughter at her school this year. Im sure if I asked my parents they did it as well. What makes a tradition a tradition anyway? I assumed something repeated over many generations made it tradition.

Chad, I admire your idealism, I really do! That said, your daughter is still very young and you still have a number of years to consider "your position". However, trust me on this, you are going to have one heck of a time saying no to her when everyone else is celebrating and your daughter is on the side lines.

You can't stop Halloween and you can't stop Xmas... and do you really what to be "that Dad"?

You may say that now, but trust me, time changes many things!

HH

Agreed, I expect that I can positively influence but not completely change the way things happen in my own little world. Society, schools and local cultures are strong influences. I do have a one acre field that will be dedicated solely to pumpkins this coming spring.... Hoping to hand them out for free to people in my neighbourhood/family/friends. If the deer don't eat them all it'll be a good mix of what Me and my spouse want and still respecting/participating in other peoples traditions. I still think Halloween is stupid, but I won't be saying it like that anytime soon to my daughter hahaha

Agreed, I expect that I can positively influence but not completely change the way things happen in my own little world. Society, schools and local cultures are strong influences. I do have a one acre field that will be dedicated solely to pumpkins this coming spring.... Hoping to hand them out for free to people in my neighbourhood/family/friends. If the deer don't eat them all it'll be a good mix of what Me and my spouse want and still respecting/participating in other peoples traditions. I still think Halloween is stupid, but I won't be saying it like that anytime soon to my daughter hahaha

you should grow hay and other grasses that attract deer.. Hunt the deer and share the meat with me...lol

Public school boards are secular by nature, so I don't see what's so surprising about a school choosing not to participate in such an event, even if the religious aspect of the holiday is all but gone these days lol.

Once the kids are out of school, they can dress and celebrate however and whatever they want with their families, so the whole 'Christians getting stripped of their rights' argument is just downright ridiculous.

For those Christians who feel slighted or offended by our secular school boards, there are alternatives. Catholic schools and other denominational schools might just be one way to help preserve and reinforce your Christian values and traditions