Buddy heaters. Pros and cons

misfish

Im looking to get away from the open flame burner and want to get the buddy heater. I see I can get a 10ft hose that I can attach to the heater and a larger tank. CTC has their 11 pounders on for 55 bux. I like the idea of the hose and larger tank, as it can be kept outside the portable hub, and the tank wont be a problem towing out onto the ice on my new smitty sled. B)

So what are the pros on this heater?

What have been some issues with them?

Found them going for $119 bux. Lowest I have seen yet.

was not a fan of my buddy's black cat or the little buddy, but probably be plenty good enough in a small one man

have a buddy and big buddy I use depending on which hut I'm fishing out of...not many issues, if you don't keep ventilation you might have issues with the pilot light...I've had the pilot light act up for no apparent reason, jsut randomly blow out and wouldn't re-light...I did a fix where I bolted a little shield to wind guard the pilot, seems to improve that issue

I know there is another fix where some guys move the the thermo closer to the pilot, I saw it on iceshanty i think

overall happy with mine

blackcats are terrible. maybe ok for a small insulated hut

I'm sure they wouldn't work if you're trying to heat your house with it :) I've got no issues with it heating up my Clam Nanook to the point of where I gotta start taking off layers.

Edited by BillM

I like mine. Heats my one man hut nicely on a bitter cold day. Definitely do the thermo couple fix. Not sure if the new ones they are selling have solved the issue, but if you get a draft blow in it can blow out the pilot light. If you do the fix that won't happen. After this fix no issues with the heater. I saw them at sail for 100 bucks last week. Not sure if still on saie.

I'm sure they wouldn't work if you're trying to heat your house with it :) I've got no issues with it heating up my Clam Nanook to the point of where I gotta start taking off layers.

On most days here my 15,000btu sunflower heater on full isn't enough to melt the ice that forms on the inside of the hut. :D

This was a balmy December day. ;)

PB200198.jpg

I have used a friends buddy heater in my camper in Alaska and it works well.

I have heard of the wind issues with the pilot lights as well and have read about the fix for that issue on IS.

I do find they go through propane quickly and an external tank would be well worth the $$$$.

I use a 5# tank on my sunflower heater and get 2 days worth of heat out of it.

I've got one of the Buddy heaters, no problems..yet. If you get the hose and bigger tank, go to P/A and get the inline filter for about $11. It's recommended. I still have to get around to making a small grilling shelf to heat some chow in front of the heater. I'm sure you can hatch something to fit on the front of the heater.

if you're going to use a hose attached to a tank get the normal buddy heater BUT if you're planning on using 1lbers get the big buddy. I have a big buddy and its great BUT it is heavy if you're a walker. It gets me 8 hours on medium and it warms up my 8X8 pop up really well. I bought a 5lb tank this year and my big buddy heater is going to be a overkill. Remember to store the heater in a garbage bag when you're not using it so spiders don't get in the pilot flame knob. spider webs really jam up the pilot.

the built in fan is also a nice feature on the big buddy, but wish it was about 10 times stronger to help with ventilation/condensation, obviously more propane you burn the more condensation you'll get

i learned the hard way to get the cover too (well made a cheap cover) to keep snow from icing up the feed tube while travelling spot to spot..once it ices up in that little tube it's hard to clear on the lake, had to go back to truck and let it thaw out

Can't help you with much information on the heaters but I was at Cosco last week and I think the tanks were quite a bit less than $55.00. Might be worth checking out and I have a membership so I would be happy to pick one up at cost for you.

Thanks Cliff for the offer. As always,above and beyond. :canadian:

I have a company card I can use. Thank you for the heads up.

I have read about the pilot light going out,also heard about the pilot not working at all and gas not coming through the line. They have improved the model. So I guess only time will tell.

Hope I have positive things to report back, during the hard water season.

Dave,your talking my lingo dude. 15,000 BTU. Down here,I could sit in my undies.LOL

Oh and Bill,not a sight I want to see.LMAO

Thanks all for your replies.

PS

AKRISONER

You will grow older and wiser,as most of us have. PLAY SAFE YOUNG ONE. :Gonefishing:

Edited by Brian B

I'd say get a snowmobile, that's a big lake, there's a good deal in the classified section :)

If you insist on walking, I'd say the cat and disposable tanks are the better option for your portable hut

personally, I don't like having to strip down to my undies, just cut the chill and keep your line and hole from freezing

Brian, I have the Buddy heater and it works great. This is the older model and never had any issues with the pilot going out, unless of course I was out in the wind.

I did recently pick up this small heater because of the smaller footprint, even smaller than the Little Buddy.

http://www.sail.ca/en/catalogue/camping/heaters/28/m-3s-heater/

It is more directional with its parabolic reflector and puts out what the Buddy does on low. Very small and cheaper too!

Burt :)

Just saw them on sale some place Brian. Usually they're around $100... sometimes a little cheaper, sometimes alot more.

Had the SportCat... or might have been BlackCat??? Anyways, prefer the Buddy Heater for my 1-man Clam or 2-man Pop-up. Gives off enough heat for either. An 11-pound tank and you'll be good for days.