Early fall - working overnight for walleyes

mike rousseau

Hello everyone...

So the early fall walleye bite is in full swing on the St.Lawrece River... Some may say that the walleye fishing is tough right now.... But that's because they aren't willing to "work overnights" to produce good numbers of solid walleyes...

In the past 2 trips out this week totaling about 10 hours of fishing we have put 53 walleye in the boat averaging 22-24 inches... About 10 from 25-28 inches...45 have been from when the sun hits the tree line till 4am... That's right... 4am!!!

My current work schedule has put me in a position that if I want my hours on the water then I have to head out and fish after work... From about 12am-4am...

Most think I'm crazy until I convince them to join me... Then they're hooked... The peace and quiet of having the entire river to yourself... The quiet soothing hum of the Yamaha idled down to a crawl... The vibration of your crank bait feeling like a base drum in your hand... The well lit sky... The low winds and refreshing cool night air...

AND THE WALLEYE...

These suckers just seem to let their guard down and eat like there's no tomorrow.... The absolute best time in my opinion is the 2 hours after the sun hits the tree line... But really all night is pretty good...

What structure do you target? In all honesty... I've found that to be trial and error... You just gotta try spots after dark and see what ones produce... I've yet to find a pattern that says "this is exactly the type if structure you need to fish".... But once you find a good night spot it'll produce most of the year for you... Most of my night spots are connected to the largest channels... I believe the walleye scatter all day in these channels then school up to chase bait in the shallows at night...

What do you use to catch em? I like crank baits... Taildancers... Reef runners... Thunderstickes... Trolls to minnow... Etc... I also pull harnesses when the bite is tough... But to troll harnesses on river structure you'll wanna know exactly where the fish are holding cause it's a slow troll with a harness in the current...

And COLOR.... Clown... White... Pink.... Orange... Chartreuse....the darker the night the brighter the color for me... On a "bright" night like the super moon this week you can get away with chrome colors like perch... Blue silver... Black gold.... Black silver...

Tips... Bring a buddy cause It's safer... Also be well organized in the boat... Hooks are easy to find by accident at night... Headlights... GOOD HEADLIGHTS... No standing cause you can't see the extra rods you don't wanna step on... At first fish close to your launch till you get used to night fishing and build your confidence... TROLL ROD IN HAND or else you can't feel weeds on your hooks or subtle bumps from timid fish...

So don't be afraid to work the night shift... You might be surprised what kind of nocturnal characters show up to grace your net...

image-105.jpg

Sort of funny, my dad used to tell us stories of the boats on Lake Erie at night fishing for Blue Pike and Walleye at night when he was a young man, you would be hard pressed now to find people around here out there fishing for Walleye these days.

Walleye were never really a prime target for me, the only time we tried it about 30 years ago? We had our limits by midnight.

Lotsa good stuff there Mike.

I spent many many May 24 weekends fishing for Quinte pickerel and we'd never even head out until dusk and the fishing would often be great for several hours.

Same as muskies although I no longer do it, but night time fishing for them is a blast and something I did for years. Hit the water as the sun touches the tree tops and we'd nearly always boat a few fish in the next couple hours.

Night time is an awesome time to be on the water.

Your definitely not crazy! That is my favourite time to fish. Your current schedule is the same as the one I share on BOQ in the spring. Usually fish till 5AM! That must of been sweet being under that moon that night. Nicely done is an understatement.

Thanks everyone...

Here's a few more pics from a day last week after work...

Double header first pass to break in the new net.... 5 and 6 pounders...Notice the tags still on... And the lures...

image-108.jpg

Nice 26 incher

image-106.jpg

image-107.jpg

Edited by Mike Rousseau

Don't you just love the neon eyes. We never thought about getting in the boats on the Ottawa until the dishes were all done after supper and a few games of poker, nothing like a good BBQ and an ale at 4 AM. Up at 11:00 for a round of golf, lunch at 19th hole then nap, supper, fishing, AM BBQ, repeat. Some afternoons forgo golf and go to the ballet in Fort Coulange or Pembroke. Every young Steelworker needs some culture in their lives.

This is a great write up, I'm definitely going to give this a shot, so many damn rocks in my lake though makes it stressful.

That's where you literally need to know the area BETTER then the back of your hand...

And even then... a GPS and years of experience can't predict where that floating log is... I dodged one with Andrew and Pete a couple weeks ago that looked like a section from a telephone pole it was so big... Missed it by a few feet... Luckily it was light out... We would have been in serious trouble...

I tend to back off on the throttle at night... I know it'll still be bad but i'd rather hit a log at 18-20mph then 35...

And even if you know the water... travel in the deeper areas and when you get to where you wanna fish slow down and putter in... It's a win win... Safer and you won't scare the fish...

I hear you Mike, a common yell at night on the Ottawa was " DEADHEAD 1 O'CLOCK !!!!!!!!!!!" Spent a cold May night hung up on a shoal outside of Callander Bay. The worst thing that can happen is when someone thinks they know the water like the back of their hand, better know it better than that like you say. No one can be that good. Most of the guys that get in trouble on water are rookies and experts. No matter day or night.