Some Deer Pics (alive!) From The Weekend. (nf)

danc

A short drive from our home, Sis and I have an incredible opportunity to photograph wild deer, close up. They actually live on an island that is within the city limits, so of course no hunting is allowed. The island has bridge access. The island is almost over run with deer. We went for a drive there last Saturday and the deer were very co-operative as usual.

Say cheese!!!

deerfaces.jpg

The big bucks are a little more difficult to get close to. I saw this guy laying in the grass at the edge of a field.

Bigbuck1.jpg

Apparently this little guy was orphaned and is being cared for by one of the residents of the island. Sis made a new friend!!

Sisdeer.jpg

Our venture also took us to the Lake Superior shoreline, where the 80 year record low water level was quite evident. That's the "Sleeping Giant" in the background.

lowwatergiant.jpg

And of course Abby tagged along with us. She had a riot running down the sandy beaches and declaring any stick that she found as a new toy. Sis took this awesome shot of her while she was resting for a moment.

Abby1.jpg

That's how we spent our weekend.

Great pics Dan!I should dig out some of my old non digital pics of some deer I took years ago.I have one of 8 different bucks bedded down in a field with the sun hitting their antlers in the tall grass.Looks like the field was growing antlers.

Joe

Kewl pics Dan,

Once fishing stops in my area I will start pursuing the Owls and other wildlife. Then again, the fishing never stops here!

Bay of Quinte the past 2 weekends, before that Lake St. Claire. This weekend, (3 day), Lake St. Claire. I may be forced to put the boat away by the end of December this year. I got a great spot for inside storage and he will hold a spot open for me till the end of Dec.

Those are awesome pic,s Dan.Me thinks that one was trying to get sis,s earings.LOL

That buck is just awesome aswell.

My new desk top.

Thanks

BTW,if I had that many ladies,I be taken a rest too.LOL

Edited by misfish

Dan were those deer seen from the highway on the drive off 17 to the sleeping giant provincial park? I was up there in June and have never deen so many deer in such a small area. I counted 27 before I arrived at the trailhead.

Thanks for the comments guys and gals. brookieman, I've try to make it to Sleeping Giant park every summer, and yes, there's lots of Deer there too. But these photos were taken less than a 10 minute drive from the city core. The Island that they reside on has some industry and a few houses on it, along with a vast undeveloped area. The Deer are used to people watching them and can get quite bold. Apparently there's one or two huge Bucks there this fall. I'll go out again to try and find them. When I was a kid it was a novelty to see a Deer around here. Now they're everywhere. Global warming is extending their range in my opinion. Hunters are having very high success rates around here, but not on the Island as it is a no hunt area.

Joe, I'd like to see the photo of the Deer bedded down in the grass. Perhaps you could scan it and post it here if you get a chance.

Thanks all...

Global warming is extending their range in my opinion. Hunters are having very high success rates around here, but not on the Island as it is a no hunt area.

Not to take away from this post Dan.Over crowding like this can lead to desiese.Lime.

As for the global warming,yea maybe,or maybe it due to the moose moving down here and pushing the deer up there.They dont like each other.LOL

Spell check didnt work.I think desiese is spelt wrong.LOL