Where will the next world record Muskie Hale from????

Regan Thompson

not to get off track, but provide insight into this statement? I will be on the look out from then on.

Musky do surface and sometimes splash...

If the fish you saw completely cleared the water is be 99.9999999% sure it's a sturgeon.... I saw some clear the water by 3-4 feet the other day... While the musky were gently rolling on the surface...

Nip, Gbay or the St. Lawrence would be my guesses for weight.

Lake of the Woods might not produce the absolute heaviest fish, but the sheer number of 50+ fish is second to none. Virtually every day I have fished there I have seen giants. Overrated? Hardly. I'll be making that 25 hour drive every year for the rest of my muskie fishing life!

There are fifty inchers in Scugog but they would weigh 30-35 pounds on a very good day. My best from the bog is an October caught 47 that weighed 25 lbs based on her measurements.

I agree 100% it's a great fishery... But I never hear of 55+ inchers being caugh there.... This thread is about records... I have no doubt it's a fun and beautiful trip... And if I could afford it id go... But I wouldn't have any expectations of an upper 50" fish...

If you want 50 inchers go to st Clair... Some Guides are hooking 20+ musky some days... With plenty of 50 inchers.... I can't understand why anyone would plan a trip anywhere else right now unless your looking for a true giant somewhere else... But again... Not many pics of giant fish come out of st clair...

Not being a Musky guy I'm going to say West Arm of Nippissing, you like that one Regan?

What's wrong with Skugog? That's were I caught, by mistake of course, my one and only giant in 82'. It is hanging on my wall, did that back then. Had to tip the scales at 22 pounds!!! It is a Tiger Musky, does that count?

My big Musky story, you know I'd have one, was a sighting when I started fishing on a day trip to Port Severn from Hamilton. We had rented a 12' tinny and I saw this green thing swimming towards the side of the boat. I yelled to Mr. Stringer to look over the side, he saw the head while I could still see the tail. I could I.D. three fish then, a Great White, I saw the movie, a Sunny, was an expert at 8 years old, and a Northern, a hammer handle was my first game fish on my Popiel Pocket Fisherman.

I thought this monster was a Pike, my buddy confirmed it was indeed a Muskellunge, which I had never heard of before. Quite the argument on the way home from the other 2 guys. They didn't see it but guaranteed it was a Sturgeon. All I knew was I never wanted to catch one after seeing it, and my wish has come true so far if Tiger doesn't count.

LOL there will never be a new world record musky because the old world record is a fable that will never be overturned and disallowed.

That being said the next fish to be disqualified as a world record will come from South Bay of Lake Nippising

Edited by Musky or Specks

I'm not a musky guy (maybe one day) but I do know that big fish require a lot of good food and easy livin' to get big . That good food would be soft rayed , fatty

fish like cisco ,suckers, whitefish , trout and salmon and that my friends comes from Georgian Bay . As well there are parts of that bay up in the islands that have not seen

a fisherman in many years and that's easy livin'

Edited by 4x4bassin

Since we are talking records what is the record herein Ontario and the World Record, same fish? I remember a lot of guys talking at the plant about that Moon River Musky in the 80's maybe. Why is the record in question Musky and Specks? That Musky that is on the street corner in Ganonaque (sic) is pretty big. I told the kids it was real. The 100 foot Catfish in Dunnville is real!

Sorry guys for some reason my quote thing doesn't work on this site on either computer, strange on both PC's.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Musky or Specks is correct.

One thought is if you catch a 60lber that just ate 10lbs you will have the record.

But maybe the 60lbers are 50-55lbers that just ate and that's as big as they get. If this is true they max out about 62lbs.

Another thing is the max length of the muskie we are catching is 55 to 60". The max girth is about 30".

For me I am happy with fish under 50lbs. They are all nice fish.

The muskie record has been a lie in the past. Most people don't see a big muskie so they don't know what a big fish is. People with nets or at scugog talking about world records. Ya right lol.

Let's go get a record is for some people with lead, water hose, air pumps and my tape measure starts at 5". Catch a 55 and shove 12lb whitefish in and there you just caught the record.

Since we are talking records what is the record herein Ontario and the World Record, same fish? I remember a lot of guys talking at the plant about that Moon River Musky in the 80's maybe. Why is the record in question Musky and Specks? That Musky that is on the street corner in Ganonaque (sic) is pretty big. I told the kids it was real. The 100 foot Catfish in Dunnville is real!

Sorry guys for some reason my quote thing doesn't work on this site on either computer, strange on both PC's.

The Keith O'brien fish was retroactively disqualified on a technicality by people with a vested interest And the current record Louis Spray's 69 pound fish is just as made up as Art Lawton's but supported by those with the same vested interest.

I know the Moon delta well, and despite it's muskie a being comparatively few and far between compared to some other bodies of water, the amount of feed is abundant to say the very least. For that reason I think there are record-class fish in G Bay. Aside for that it's been mentioned that an awful lot of big fish are caught in the Larry.

Well, I don't know where the record musky is, but I do know where she isn't, and that's all the places on the West Arm of Nippissing I've been fishing all week LOL

Well Gee Whiz Lew ... I thought you were going to put this debate to an end. Well ... Ya still have week. :clapping:

Well, I don't know where the record musky is, but I do know where she isn't, and that's all the places on the West Arm of Nippissing I've been fishing all week LOL

They heard you were coming? :whistling: My most reliable Muskie action came once I had given up and started bass fishing! LOL The bass may have been the right sized lure for them?

The Keith O'brien fish was retroactively disqualified on a technicality by people with a vested interest And the current record Louis Spray's 69 pound fish is just as made up as Art Lawton's but supported by those with the same vested interest.

Ken O'briens fish was a brute, pretty sure he caught that beast on 8 lb test :worthy: As for the next world record musky, it's definitely coming from a lake in Ontario :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by kuha

Splitting hairs here but it sounds bizarre to call something a "world record" when muskies are only present in parts of two provinces and a handful of states.

If it's the only places they are in the world, then that's likely where the world record is gonna be caught. :P:w00t:

Gonna vote GBay or the Larry on this one. Only because of what I've read, heard and seen in the few years poking around these parts. :whistling:

The fact is there are likely hundreds of fish over 65 lbs roaming all of these waters, so why then has one not been caught since the 80's (although one can argue this)? It's probably no coincidence that the disputed record (and many other large fish) have been caught by anglers targeting other species. One has to think that conventional Muskie fishing tactics are not conducive to catching these super tankers because similar to monster pike, their habits are very different. These larger, slower slobs may be feeding on smaller forage maybe? That's it! I'm selling all of my Muskie gear and targeting these beasts with bottom bouncers and minnows LOL!

The St John Fishery began because Quebec didn't think when they stocked a small lake in the Headwaters in 1970 with 1000 musky that perhaps those musky would spread through the system in highwater. They are a very controversial fish out east and are considered invasive. They are only in the St John drainage.