Pair fined in moose chase incident

kickingfrog

The incident described sounds familiar enough that I assume it was discussed here but I can't say for sure.

http://www.nugget.ca/2014/08/05/pair-fined-in-moose-chase-incident

Two West Nipissing residents have been fined at total of $3,500 for unlawfully hunting a bull moose and using a vehicle to pursue the animal following complaints about a YouTube video of the incident.

According to the Ministry of Natural Resources, Cory Crowder was fined $2,000 and Stephanie Pellerin was fined $1,500 in relation to the incident last fall in which a moose was chased off a bridge.

In addition to the fines, the two West Nipissing residents were ordered to destroy all copies of the video filmed on the night of the offence and remove all related Internet postings.

Court heard that in October 2013, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry received complaints from the public about a video posted on YouTube. The video, taken by Stephanie Pellerin from inside the vehicle on the night of October 10, 2013, clearly showed the vehicle pursuing the moose while Crowder was driving. The moose was visibly distressed. The moose was chased off the Smokey Creek Bridge where it jumped, and died of its injuries. Crowder later returned with a friend to retrieve the moose. Justice of the Peace Michael Kitlar heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, on July 16.

In addition, a North Bay man has been fined $1,500 for deer hunting offences in a separate case also heard by Kitlar that day.

David Munro pleaded guilty to charges under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act and associated regulations. He was fined $500 for unlawfully attaching a game seal to a deer killed by another person, $500 for attaching the wrong seal to an antlerless white-tailed deer and $500 for failing to provide required information on a deer seal.

Court heard that on November 9, 2013, Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry conservation officers conducted a hunting camp check at 211 Dowdall Road in Nipissing Township where they observed three harvested deer hanging from a meat pole in front of the camp. They inspected the three deer and game seals.

An investigation revealed that Munro attached another person’s antlered deer seal to an antlerless deer. An antlerless deer can be harvested only if the hunter or hunting party holds an antlerless deer validation tag. Munro also tagged another deer he had harvested with his own seal, but failed to notch out the required date and time of the kill on the seal.

To report a natural resource violation, please call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time or contact your ministry office during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Eh guys , I seen the moose video , Stephanie my neighbor (the charged )showed it to me the next morning , it was on YT for a few months, in no way was it being chased , just followed at it's own pace ,it just happened to see a clearing and stepped off the bridge , what the article doesn't say that they were cleared on the scene of doing anything wrong , and the driver voluntarily gave up his cow tag in exchange for the bull meat ,then the MNR acted on complaints from viewers then the charges were laid ...

I have had to "chase " many moose down northern roads . They just trot down the road and won't get off. It's way worse in the winter with tall snow banks and you have to "chase ". Chase them to the next fork in the road and pray they don't go the way you want to. I saw the vid. I didn't see any chasing.

I have had to "chase " many moose down northern roads . They just trot down the road and won't get off. It's way worse in the winter with tall snow banks and you have to "chase ". Chase them to the next fork in the road and pray they don't go the way you want to. I saw the vid. I didn't see any chasing.

Myself as well,must of been other footage ?

Do people realize you can simply stop and let the moose do what it's gotta do? There's no reason to keep 'following; it...

yup----likely if you stopped and just stepped out of the vehicle it would run into the bush

Just don't post stuff on utube...its nothing but trouble

That's the best answer so far. Unless your doing an instructional video on how to plant begonias or some such thing, your probably best to leave the videos off YouTube. Particularly ones of you following a moose in a vehicle and it falls to it's death. Some folks don't think things all the way through!

ive followed a moose on the snowmobile trail..they dont seem to want to jump back into the deep snow...

As far as trying to intimidate them to go back into the bush...my dad will tell you a story about a moose that decided it wanted to fight his car. So forget that!

Charging moose are not that common----Maybe a few in the rut

Have a rifle in your hands and see how fast they can run

Now I've ticked a few off in my day---callin for a fight---they come with attitude then

This year marks the 40th anniversary I've been a Licensed hunter---never had one make for me yet

Not sayin it would'nt happen