Shark in Lake Ontario???

John Bacon

Nice. Certainly got the conversations going.

Speaking of animal sightings......had some sort of weasel in my backyard in Oakville today. Dark brown throughout (didn't see a white belly, though i could have just missed it). Not very big (maybe 1.5 feet long including tail). I'm a couple of blocks up from the lake so not exactly far, but not close either.

Any ideas?

Nice. Certainly got the conversations going.

Speaking of animal sightings......had some sort of weasel in my backyard in Oakville today. Dark brown throughout (didn't see a white belly, though i could have just missed it). Not very big (maybe 1.5 feet long including tail). I'm a couple of blocks up from the lake so not exactly far, but not close either.

Any ideas?

probably a mink

Could the weasel actually be a squirrel? The ones around here seem to have shed and look something like a weasel with a skinny tail and the one today was walking and I thought it was a weasel of some kind until it got closer and I could clearly see it.

Now this is what a shark taking a fish off a fishing line in fresh water REALLY looks like...but nowhere near the St. Lawrence.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/ichthyology/Gallery/Descript/bullshark/bullshark.htm

Bull Sharks have been found hundreds of miles up rivers but not so far north, St Louis Miss. is the farthest north in a freshwater river I heard of... but with global warming and the asian carps.... hmmmm I'll pass, I was snorkelling in the Cayman Islands and had a reef shark longer than me make a few approaches and when the third time he got less than 10' away I was out of the water! I'll stick to watching them at the local aquarium store or at Mandarin restaurant... still want to get down to Ripley's aquarium but no interest in getting that close again with nothing more than my little camera.

They have some sharks with tags and it is interesting to see where some of them travel. There is one Lydia, a 14' great white, that started out on the East Coast went almost to Ireland and is now down by Florida.

http://www.ocearch.org/

Edited by mosquito

Not a squirrel, mosquito. This was less than 15 feet for me and froze, with a birch tree behind it. Then ran along the hedge for 20 feet. Got a really good look.

I've seen mink alot and I thought that's what the squirrel was until it came out of the bushes but if you got a good look I guess we can rule that out.