Protection from the Sun.

npt1

Hi All,

I don't post very often and I do enjoy this site.

Received some distressing news recently concerning

a co-worker, his age is 34 years.

He has been taking treatments for skin cancer but it has

spread and is now terminal. He has two young children and

a wife who is devastated by this.

What skin protection do you use to avoid this horror?

A protection of SPF 60 is not uncommon these days.

Always wear a wide brim hat that shades the face and neck area.

Fishing is a family activity, just like hiking and camping.

Any activity outside requires some sort of skin protection.

Remember also, to get the best sunglasses you can afford.

Glare from water is very dangerous. We only are given one

set of eyes. Once eye damage occurs, it is not reversible..

Please do your best to ensure your safety.

Thanks for your attention and please be safe.

NPT1.

A family friend of mine was diagnosed with melanoma quite some time ago. Several surgeries and some various treatments later, he's still alive, From my last contact with him, he's still battling the disease but scans are progressively getting better and better. Don't lose hope.

In my case, after my own cancer treatments last year (for a different type of cancer), the chemotherapy drugs left my skin extremely sensitive to UV light. Sun burns would be permanent for life.

DSC_9978a_zpscd5467d8.jpg

From top to bottom: Baseball hat, polarized sunglasses (100% UV protection), Buff, Simms guide shirt, Simms sun gloves, Simms ultra-lite zip-off pants, Columbia water shoes, polypropylene socks and SPF 55 sunscreen pretty much everywhere. I can wet wade and my outfit will dry within 20-30 minutes.

I wish your friend all the best :)

also a friendly reminder: Apply sunscreen 1/2 before you apply bug spray. Sunscreen is absorbed into skin, bugspray designed to stay on top of skin. Absorbition of DEET is bad and thought to be cancerous. dont put them on in the wrong order or too quick in the proper order. This is also a health canada reccomendation.

Edited by mcdougy

Buff and/or a wide brim hat, Simms Solarflex or similar material full sleeve shirts with good UPF rating.

Skin is an organ and will absorb whatever you put on it, I don't like puting chemicals on my skin,

To add, also make sure the type of sunscreen you are using is labelled "broad spectrum". Sunscreens that don't have it will not protect you from all types of UV rays. It takes sunscreen about 20 min to "activate" so keep this in mind before heading out.

Wow. 34 yrs with cancer. That's quite tragic.

Lots of good info being posted here though---maybe it will help somebody else from getting skin cancer. I wasn't aware of those buffs---that's a new word for me. I'll look around for 1.

A lot of people don't realize that too much sun in the eyes will cause cataracts---or at least bring them on earlier than otherwise.

Wow. 34 yrs with cancer. That's quite tragic.

Lots of good info being posted here though---maybe it will help somebody else from getting skin cancer. I wasn't aware of those buffs---that's a new word for me. I'll look around for 1.

A lot of people don't realize that too much sun in the eyes will cause cataracts---or at least bring them on earlier than otherwise.

Lots of different buffs to be had out there.

The one I'm wearing is made by Simms and is SPF50.

This one is a little different than mine but is the same idea.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/headwear/sunhood.html

Hoorag is one of the original sun protection face shields.

They have a bunch of cool looking designs too. :)

http://www.hoorag.com/?gclid=CJ-vyufvpr8CFQmsaQodSGIAqQ

Here's some info put together by a friend of mine in Florida about face shields.

http://saltyshores.com/wordpress/2012/04/25/video/face-mask-and-the-current-variety/

I've had buffs tucked in every tackle box and a few spares in the boat for a few years now. I wear nothing but long sleeve flats shirts and try to keep the dry fit long pants handy too. Figure the best remedy is to just keep out of direct sun.

Hats are still a bit of a pain not having found any shade hats that are functional.

For any of you that get out to the west end of the city, there is the new outlet mall at Trafalgar and 401. The Columbia outlet store has a fairly good selection of PFG gear and long sleeve flats shirts in the back corner. I drop by every couple of months to see what's new.

COPY and PASTED from www.naturalnews.com

" It is one of the most pervasively destructive health myths circulating today -- if you don't use sunscreen, your skin will burn and you will get skin cancer! Besides the fallacious nature of this popular claim, the fact of the matter is that many sunscreen products on the market today are inherently dangerous and could cause skin cancer themselves, as well as a host of other serious health problems.

In the 2014 Guide to Sunscreens, recently released by the Environmental Working Group (EWG), the data shows that more than 66 percent of conventional sunscreen products contain harmful chemicals that could cause hormone disruption, trigger allergies, and even provoke the formation of skin and other types of cancer when used over the long term.

Your sunscreen could be altering your hormones, feeding a steady stream of estrogen into your bloodstream

One of the most prominent toxic sunscreen ingredients identified by EWG is oxybenzone, a compound that absorbs ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun. This common additive is associated with photoallergic reactions, and is very easily absorbed through the skin. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says oxybenzone now contaminates the bodies of up to 97 percent of Americans.

"...the chemical oxybenzone penetrates the skin, gets into the bloodstream and acts like estrogen in the body," explains EWG. "It can trigger allergic reactions. Data are preliminary, but studies have found a link between higher concentrations of oxybenzone and health harms."

Many low-quality sunscreens contain oxybenzone, as well as other damaging toxins such as retinyl palmitate, a vitamin A derivative that has been shown to speed the formation of skin tumors and lesions. Though the government classifies retinyl palmitate as an "inactive ingredient," studies show that this common additive reacts with the sun to create free radicals that damage DNA.

"...government scientists ha[ve] produced evidence that the development of skin tumors dramatically accelerated, compared to control groups, when lab animals were coated with a cream laced with vitamin A and then exposed to the equivalent of nine minutes of maximum intensity sunlight every day for a year," says EWG.

Blocking vitamin D-producing UVB rays can increase risk of disease, cancer

Another problem with many sunscreen products is that they generally block out UVB rays, which are the ones responsible for spurring the creation of vitamin D inside the body. On the flip side, many sunscreen products, and especially those sold in the U.S., fail to block out UVA rays, which are the ones responsible for causing skin damage.

Federal guidelines in the U.S. only require that a sunscreen's "sun protection factor," or SPF, be measured in terms of UVB protection. UVA protection, on the other hand, is often a mystery, which means millions of Americans are slathering themselves with creams and lotions that provide absolutely no protection against sun damage while simultaneously deflecting necessary UVB rays.

"SPF stands for 'sun protection factor,' and refers only to protection against UVB radiation, which burns the skin," explains EWG. "It has little to do with protection from the sun's UVA rays, which penetrate deep into the skin, suppress the immune system, accelerate skin aging and may cause skin cancer."

"

Wow! Very informative. Thanx. I recently purchased a wide brim Tilley hat at Ramakkos in Sudbury. They're not cheap, but I feel this hat with Neutrogina 70 PSF applied 2 or 3 times per day of fishing is what I feel is correct.

Good luck !