Launching the new boat Saturday need advice.

Shloim

Getting out this Saturday for the first time. Gotta admit a bit nervous about launching the first time solo... I've tried to post pics but its a pain in butt and I don't have the patience. I'm fishing near midland on the Trent in the lost channel area. Launching at Big Chute any advice on what to target and what I should use???

Getting out this Saturday for the first time. Gotta admit a bit nervous about launching the first time solo... I've tried to post pics but its a pain in butt and I don't have the patience. I'm fishing near midland on the Trent in the lost channel area. Launching at Big Chute any advice on what to target and what I should use???

You may want to invite an experienced local member if your nervous about launching solo and are short on patience ;). I'd be happy to help you out but Midlands a little far for me.

Good advice from Pikeslayer. If you're an inexperienced boater take someone along that can help and offer advice. If backing up a trailer is something new, do yourself a favour and find an empty parking lot and practice! A busy boat launch is no place to begin. Worry about the fishing later. Take the boat out, get used to it, figure things out.

I know the feeling it can be intimidating. The first few trips out I have taken experienced boaters with me and it really helped. Its also good if you can get out on their boat. There are also some good Youtube videos about launching boats. Make sure you have your safety gear with you in case you get in trouble or get stopped.

took my new to me boat out for the first time Monday night, spent the first 20 mins floating around trying to get it started. Forgot how turn on the choke switch. Just floated around thinking how am going to tell my wife I just bought a lemon then I finally remembered about the choke switch and it fired right up

first trips are always fun and memorable

Well I would love to do the pool but my final destination is a friends cottage on lost channel and I think I'll be ok. I have considerable experience I've just never done it all, alone, and with my own boat....so I'm basically heading north east from Big Chute. If any mbers wanna come out PM me I'll be launching at big chute around 7:30-8:00 Saturday!

3 things, remember the key, the plug and tie a line from the boat to the do k ag the launch before you let the boat loose so it does not drift away. Make sure you get a chart of the area. Wherever you go, have a current chart,best advice I was ever given.

Make a check list of everything you need on that boat, checklist for safety items, back up items for the boat, what you will need if you get a flat, towing it and do a walk around like a preflight check, for trailering, launching including starting, docking, shuting down, and loading onto trailer for trip back. Then a list for parking, like blocking wheels etc.

Check lists don't forget, don't get mad, they don't get exited and never get hot and tired.

Make a check list and don't forget anything.

And don't forget the proof of boat registration, something I never did until last year when the OPP let it slide during an inspection, it's supposed to onboard the vessel, not in the truck with the trailer ownership or at home somewhere.

Also while I'm at it the batteries in the water tight flashlight if you don't have flares, something I always forget to check regularly. The flashlight has to actually work.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Step one put plug in

Step two remove transom straps, deploy bumpers and tie 20 ft length of rope from bow of boat to trailer. Final unhook trailer winch.

Step three backup and hit the brakes firmly at the bottom of the ramp. Boat will slide off and then pull forward gently with truck.

Do not do any of this with a roller trailer.

Honestly if it's a busy ramp ask someone to help, if it's not busy just back in deep.get in the water and push it of the trailer ( make shure you have a long rope attached) then walk around to dock and pull your boat back in , secure it then pull truck and trailer out.

Edited by Freshtrax

Step two remove transom straps,

And even with 50 odd years experience backing boats into the water, you WILL occasionally forget to remove those darned transom straps....believe me :lol:

Step one put plug in

Step two remove transom straps, deploy bumpers and tie 20 ft length of rope from bow of boat to trailer. Final unhook trailer winch.

Step three backup and hit the brakes firmly at the bottom of the ramp. Boat will slide off and then pull forward gently with truck.

Do not do any of this with a roller trailer.

That's for your boat Freshtrax, many more for mine, like transom saver removed, 115 tilted up. Many, many more including checking amperage of battery the night before. I don't know how many times I've forgotten to shut off my VHF and killed a battery in a week. Nothing like needing a boost while in the water unless you have a power pack battery booster. I need to get one.

Honestly if it's a busy ramp ask someone to help, if it's not busy just back in deep.get in the water and push it of the trailer ( make shure you have a long rope attached) then walk around to dock and pull your boat back in , secure it then pull truck and trailer out.

And even with 50 odd years experience backing boats into the water, you WILL occasionally forget to remove those darned transom straps....believe me :lol:

X2, how embarrassing, even dragged the transom saver up a ramp once, what in the Lords name is that noise? Lucky I didn't loose it, another 100 bucks goof tax.

Watched 2 guys in a new Mer Benz SUV, launch a brand new Lund Baron, with an e z loader trailer with rollers, they apparnetly unhooked the winch strap from the trailer and backed down the launch at the Dutch Marine on Chemong lake, and the new lund rolled back off the rollers, and slid down the ashpault ramp eventially ending up in the water, with some major damage to the hull bottom, practice before you get to the ramp

Dont forget the transom saver,,,,,,,,,,, Why wont that boat come off the trailer??????????? :wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by Misfish

Watched 2 guys in a new Mer Benz SUV, launch a brand new Lund Baron, with an e z loader trailer with rollers, they apparnetly unhooked the winch strap from the trailer and backed down the launch at the Dutch Marine on Chemong lake, and the new lund rolled back off the rollers, and slid down the ashpault ramp eventially ending up in the water, with some major damage to the hull bottom, practice before you get to the ramp

Had this happen the very first time I launched a boat with rollers. Luckily no damage, just a bruised ego (it ended up with the transom hitting the sand in about 6 inches of water. GREASED LIGHTNING! Now the strap only comes off when the boat is in the water :) All those years removing the strap/safety chain with bunks, it didn't even cross my mind.

Edited by BillM

best advice i was ever given while backin a trailor was to grab the steering wheel from the bottom...and steer in the direction you wanna go.....when your hands are at the top...its the reverse

also very important........navigate the boat very very very slowing round docks and ramps...for some reason boat manufacturers dont install brakes on them

now youve said your on your own....youll need a long rope....back up the trailer to the point where itll come off....at this point youll need to tie a rope from your boat to the dock...

back the boat off...oh make sure you have enuf slack..