bow mount trolling shaft length for 16' tinny

aznphil

bill you always on top of things..appreciate the swift replies. 60" really?! Many I see are in the 40-50" range, I like to fish shallow ~1ft of water, would I run into problems with 60"? I understand the deeper the more stable during wind/waves...

here's minn kotas' recommendations, I just wanted to hear some real life experiences:

boat_front.png

Bow to Waterline Recommended Shaft Length

0”-10” 36"

16-22" 42-45"

22”-28” 48”-52

28”-34” 54”-62

I'd like to add...is anyone selling a used one? Preferably >55lb

Edited by finatic

I've had our 60in Terrova out of the water a few times when the waves are really kicking.. If you can get away with a shorter shaft, then go for it (It will be cheaper)... Don't sacrifice on the power though! You can never have too much of that :)

60" would work well in rough water, but that's a long shaft on a 16' boat so just be sure when you mount it the head won't be sticking to far over the gunnels.

There'll also be alot of flex with that length when it's in the stowed position, so be sure to add some sort of support for when your running fast in rough water.

I had a 1987 smokercraft pro angler, it came with a minn kota 36 pound thrust bow mount with a 48 inch shaft. I eventually replaced it with a motor guide 52- 55 pound thrust motor with a 50 inch shaft.

Generally? if the water was too rough for the shaft length of the motor? I didn't need to be out there anyway.

I had a 1987 smokercraft pro angler, it came with a minn kota 36 pound thrust bow mount with a 48 inch shaft. I eventually replaced it with a motor guide 52- 55 pound thrust motor with a 50 inch shaft.

Generally? if the water was too rough for the shaft length of the motor? I didn't need to be out there anyway.

That's the way I think.

And if anyone has a troll motor and thinks the shaft is too short and you don't want to spend the $$$$ for a new one, you can have them extended. I had about a foot added to the shaft of a Motor Guide about 10 years ago by Aikmens in Mississauga and it only cost me $200.

MUCH cheaper than a whole new troll motor.

FYI,

You can also have them shortened. If done by an authorized dealer it doesn't even void your warranty! I was reading up on this because I have a 60" on a bass boat and it is too long for most days. I should have went with the 52" but it didn't have I pilot pre rigged so I went with the 60.

I had a 62 shorten to 54. On the Minn Kota a fork extends up when stowing your foot control. The shortest you can make it is 54. I had the guy in Kingston do it and got to watch.

You shorten it from the motor end and it's a standard pipe thread. Then he used 5 minute epoxy on threads.

I learned later Minn Kota shafts are double wall thickness at the head. (Yes I broke One Lady Simcoe)

Maybe take the middle ground on a 16 foot tinny

Like was said---you can adjust it up for shallow conditions----and if it's that ruff that it's blowin in the wind-(meaning the bow is lifting high in the waves)--you likely should be a shore havin a pop

Same here I have a 52 inch terrova on the front of my 16.5 ft Lund and it's lots of motor up front I can hold it in big waves up & down and my motor very seldom comes out if the water when it's extended all the way down my trolling motor is a few feet down in the water and really digs in to the water great even in big waves when the bow is going up & down !!!! And mine is a 55lb trust it's perfect for a 16ft boat !!!! Cheera