The extra cost of fishing!

muskymatt

On my recent Algonquin trip I once again had the misfortune of donating my sunglasses to the lake. This time it was a pair of bluewater optics that I shelled out about $250 for. This was after I kneeled on my Bolle's this winter out on the ice. I figure I have lost thousands in glasses over the years and I just bought a pair of Bolle's to replace the BWO's. I wonder how long these ones will last?

So if anyone snags them up, they are mine and I want them back :wallbash::whistling::w00t:

I remember almost losing a 20hp Merc due to it coming loose on the transom, that would have sucked lol

What's your biggest "extra cost of fishing?"

had my hand held GPS, full of a years' worth of way points fall out of my hoodie jacket at the boat launch as I reached down to grab the gunwhale the first year I had the boat. Tried to find it with the net, but it was just mud. :( I no longer keep anything in my hoodie pockets when on the water.

I almost lost a pricey combo over the boat this weekend but grabbed it before it sank! I've combed the bottom once before for another and got it back.

One day I'll loose the expensive combo but until then it's been a few pairs of glasses, lures, the odd tool etc..

I'd hate to drop my sonar in the water while screwing it on/off, bet that sinks like a stone lol.

Drove from Wilmot, to the Ganny with a new 13 foot Loomis IM6 i had just built over 20 years ago, forgot all about it on the top of my work truck, didnt realize it until i got to the stumps and it was still sitting there, wedged in the roof rack, fished it hard after that, then sold it and its still in use to this day, so it obviously did not damage the blank on the 20 minute drive on the 401,

Hmmm, would have been last fall when I lost half of my grey's bewick in the river, that wasn't very fun. Of course I've also snapped, stepped on and slammed my fair share of rods as well. As far as glasses go I just us ea cheap pair of berkleys, they work well enough for me and I'm not scared to lose them. :)

Drove from Wilmot, to the Ganny with a new 13 foot Loomis IM6 i had just built over 20 years ago, forgot all about it on the top of my work truck, didnt realize it until i got to the stumps and it was still sitting there, wedged in the roof rack, fished it hard after that, then sold it and its still in use to this day, so it obviously did not damage the blank on the 20 minute drive on the 401,

I've done the same thing with mine, fished the Notty, drove all the way home with my Loomis IM6/Frogwater on the roof.. Eek!

I left the butt section of an echo spey rod with an islander reel on top of my truck canopy...echo surprisingly covered me on warranty, only cost me 35$...reel was lost, at least I bought it used and beat up off craigslist for dirt cheap, but was plenty bitter when I realized

pliers down the hole ice fishing

A few busted rod tips over the years...but I still fish those rods. I have been lucky I guess. My best luck was losing a new Stradic combo over the side of the boat on a fly in walleye trip out of Chapleau. 8 feet of water with just enough current to keep me from jumping in after it. Told the 3 other lads I would perform sexual favors for them if they got my gear back. No takers :dunno: 2 days later fishing the same spot my buddy Paul hooks a 13-14inch eye that gets heavier as he is reeling it in. Yep it swam around my rod or line...and I got my gear back :clapping:

20 years later and everytime I run into Paul he still reminds me I owe him :whistling:

twas not I---years ago The wife/kids and I were drivin around the backroads just northeast of the Soo---lookin for fishin spots

So we pull into a launch area----and there sits rods and tackle boxes that obviously got left behind when they loaded up

It may be naive---cuz I'm thinkin the next guy would take em---but we left them sittin there hopin the owners would return after realizing what was missin

My buddy just a couple years back lost hundreds of $$$ doin the same thing after loading up---he was not as lucky

Last summer was expensive for me, two pairs of + $200 sunglasses over the side, I now have a granny strap.

I took a guest out on my bass boat, hit the throttle, and his very nice camera went up and over the side. The camera was not the worst thing though, he had pics from a friends first steelheading trip on the camera. I felt pretty bad about that one.

A couple years back, two American fellas were pre fishing for a bass tourney on rainy river. I was fishing the rapids on the canadian side, so i witnessed some first hand madness. Water was average but the rapids are very dangerous. I watched them attempt to anchor. I was yelling at them no no NO!!!!! That bass boat last all of maybe 30 seconds. Anchor caught, boat flipped and down she went. Another boat came to the rescue quickly, and pulled both boaters in within 2 minutes. They were so lucky. This area has claimed the lives of many. I'm guessing they were out 80 grand plus. Brutal

Edited by manitoubass2

Last fall I lost my first and favourite bait caster, a curado bantam. It was not correctly in the rod holder. After

landing a fish on the other rod I looked back and it was gone.

Last summer after landing my PB Largemouth I left a nice net on top of a slop mat. It was pitch black when I realized it.I went back the next night and it was gone.

My trailer pin lock wasn't locking but I thought it would be fine to last a 5 min drive to CT to replace it. 2 mins into the drive I hit a few bumps on the road and BANG, trailer comes off the hitch. I hit the breaks and my boat smashes through the back if my van. 7 Grand

Buddy of mine loaded his 2 man clam loaded with all his gear, rods, flasher, tackle, thermos, mr buddy heater etc, into the back of his truck and headed home without closing the tailgate. Never saw it again!! That sucked for him!

S.

Buddy of mine loaded his 2 man clam loaded with all his gear, rods, flasher, tackle, thermos, mr buddy heater etc, into the back of his truck and headed home without closing the tailgate. Never saw it again!! That sucked for him!

S.

He didn't notice that rig flying off the back of the truck?