Cold Calls - Car Dealership???? NF

Headhunter

So, like many here, I get those annoying telemarketing calls from folks who think I need my duct work cleaned, my water tested or an up-grade on my windows and doors.

I usually just hang up and carry on with my day, but yesterday, I got a much different one...

I got a call from a sales associate at a Chrysler dealership, letting me know about the newest offerings for Chrysler! Frankly, I was caught of guard. I have never been cold called by a car dealership before and I really didn't get how they had my name and phone number. I have never stepped foot on a Chrysler dealership! Truth be told, I wouldn't be caught dead in one of their vehicles.

I told the guy basically that... he seemed somewhat put off by my comments!LOL

Has this happened to anyone else? Is the car industry really that competitve that they are now cold calling people in an effort to sell their stuff? Just thought I's throw this out there!

HH

I've never been called by a car dealership before!!

But sometimes after hearing their sales pitch, I'll say "Hey look...I have this great fridge....it's energy star rated, white, 18 cubic feet and fully adjustable shelves. Freezer up top and can even make ice for you! Are you interested? It's a steal for $200".....and then not even acknowledge any products or services they quoted to me....

Sometimes they hang up....sometimes they are stunned in silence....most of the times I say "didn't think so....neither am I".

That likely wouldn’t be Chrysler itself doing this; but either a dealer’s in-house program or a very aggressive sales person, fishing for business.

As for telemarketers; I usually ask them to hold and then set the receiver down on the table. When I hear the hang up tone, I hang up the receiver. I’ve had some idiots sit there waiting for 15 or more minutes. LOL

Dan.

Not a cold call but something even stupider.

Back in the early 70s I took a sales job with a new car dealership. I thought everything was going well with the training program until the trainer told us about the "paper bag" trick. We were expected to tear paper bags into strips and wright on them Call me right away it's about your car we were then to go to all malls and put these on the windshield of all 5 year old models of our dealership's cars.

When the owner of the car franticly called to find out what had happened to his car we would have an opportunity to try to sell him a new car.

I was assured that this was a normal process and that we absolutely had to do it to be considered good salesman prospects.

I refused to take part in this stupidity so this was the end of my stint as a new car salesman.

That likely wouldn’t be Chrysler itself doing this; but either a dealer’s in-house program or a very aggressive sales person, fishing for business.

As for telemarketers; I usually ask them to hold and then set the receiver down on the table. When I hear the hang up tone, I hang up the receiver. I’ve had some idiots sit there waiting for 15 or more minutes. LOL

Dan.

that was my first thought as well. A hired call centre doing the cold calling, so I asked. He told me he was calling from a dealership in Durham and that he was a sales associate.

That's what I found most curious!

HH

Cold calls from the dealership itself is a surprise! I wonder if they're going to go back to 90's sales tactics are bring their cars door to door asking you to test drive it on the spot. haha

i wouldn't pick on or hassle the employee making the calls. They're just doing their job to put food on their table. Pretty sure those are minimum wage jobs too.

Sure, it's annoying as heck, and I want to annoy them back, but if you take a step in their shoes, they don't want to call you either, they're paid to by the higher ups.

I just say i'm not interested and if they keep pressuring I hang up.

I got a call from the dealership where I get my van serviced (the original dealership went out of business). They wanted to know if they could buy my van as it is very popular and there are not very many on the market right now (so she said). Didn't really try to sell me anything, just wanted to buy my van. I thought that was weird.

I enjoy telling the air duct callers that I earn my living from cleaning air ducts and asking them for their list of contacts.

:clapping: Good one. Reminds me of a response that I read about for the ones who claim to be from Microsoft or from the "Computer Technical Department" claiming that my computer is sending out a virus. I usually just hang up on them. I read about one guy who tells them that he set is computer up that way on purpose. Unfortunately I haven't received a call lately so I haven't been able to use that line yet.

I got a call from the dealership where I get my van serviced (the original dealership went out of business). They wanted to know if they could buy my van as it is very popular and there are not very many on the market right now (so she said). Didn't really try to sell me anything, just wanted to buy my van. I thought that was weird.

The final word on the pitch is if you sell your car you will then need to buy a newer car/van. They can make a trade in offer sound pretty good even getting you better than blue book but in the end you either get a poor trade in and a good price on the new van or great trade in and a poor deal on the new. I thankfully have the system beat I am the plumber for the ford dealership and when I buy a car I sit in front of the computer of the owner and see what they have exactly in a vehicle including kick backs and we come to a fair price.

Art

We do the same thing here Art... on my last truck the dealer made exactly $69 and I know that for fact. They make money servicing these days at $92.50/hr.. not selling. Want to get a salesman excited.. .tell him that their service department sucks and you won't be buying a new vehicle from him unless he changes dealerships.

Edited by irishfield

Not a new concept in the auto business Joe. Used to make about 50 cold calls a week in the 70's and even knocked on doors. Translated into about 1 sale a week for me. Those were the days when dealers made money on sales and service revenue was ancilliary.

I got a call from the local Ford dealer who has been doing the endless warranty work on my F-150. They said they were low on good used trucks and suggested it may be a good time for me to upgrade. I told him that unless he wanted to sell me a Chevy it really wasn't an upgrade.....he hung up.

I enjoy telling the air duct callers that I earn my living from cleaning air ducts and asking them for their list of contacts.

I like that one , may try it next time.

I tell them I only like chicken not ducks and my chicken always come clean so why would I want to buy ducks that aren't cleaned, they hang up. :clapping:

Edited by Fish Farmer