What is your worst backlash?

Handlebarz

I have had so many I used to Rockhop for saltwater Fish in Australia (Google the Tubes Jarvis Bay) we used to marlin fish and cast into the wind when necessary - I see Lucas comment above - I feel I am able to beat most as I worked on so many at night or early mornings - Lucas(Leaf4) btw first time with baitcaster for musky has one issue in four or five hours and nets two fish - he is a good fisherman (Netman!). I call my son luke Backlash boy - but he is eleven now and is unbelievable casting all day I do the trick above with him let him reef a cast then pull two rod lengths out and tape his reel with tape (His goal no backlash for eight hours musky fishing) man I would not have had the patience at eleven for ten minutes of fishing but he just keeps at it.

I will take photos next year for sure - great post mike P - funny and that one looks awesome. Roaring Dan - I have half your reels at my place so if you want it fixed bring it over problem is it is no doubt left handed.

Been there done that lol... had to be the $10 one too not the clearance $3.00 ones

My worst case "Professional Over Run" was from a cast that my and my daughters met rods somewhere behind my head making a cast....over 1/2 an hour picking that out :(

It's always the expensive ones man, funny how that works eh? lol

As good old Ozzie Giacommelli used to say that's a " carbuncklement ". RIP Ozzie, we all miss you.

Mike that's a carbunklememt if there ever was one. Took me 2 years untangling line before I got the hang of making 3 casts in a row with out a carbunklememt on my first baitcaster a early 80's Shimano Bantam. The little pic that comes on those little black multi tools help. Then I used a good quality baitcaster and found that little Bantam is good for trolling and that's about it.

I'm going to try the electrical tape after a long cast, interesting. Anyone else done this or is it an inside joke?

The good old backlash

My worst must of been the first time I got a shimano curado. I just spooled it with real expensive flouro and within 5 mins on the water I had backlashed so hard I had to throw out 40 percent of my new line I had just put on. :wallbash::wallbash:

It didnt stop me by the way I kept fishing :Gonefishing: and it turned out to be a pike fest. I love my curado hands down the best reel I have ever purchased I have had it for 5 years now and it works like I bought it yesterday.

my worst was when salmon fishing i had cast into the mouth of the river only for it to backlash, and the one time i didn't want a fish,FISH ON!!! so it took out like and the line got jammed everywhere, in the reel, the nearing, the line guide etc. now it just sits on my desk as it dosent work

Worst backlash I've ever done was with a shimano dc reel.....right down to the spool. Took my wife 25mns to get out.

Worst backlash I've seen was a buddy with a quantum those blue pt tour burners. We had a few beers, I just tuned the reel for him and we were at his cottage. He took a cast for the patio , snagged a tree midway and the worst birds nest I ever saw. Lol he didn't use backing, so straight braid down to the spool. Took sooooooooooooooooo long to get out while cutting inch by inch of line. That fool. It was funny though and his new name is old thumb-er.

Very limited, I learned on a bait caster back in the 50's when I was 5. The first reel I ever bought was a bait caster, spinning reels looked weird! LOL

I got my first baitcaster (Shakespeare Wondereel) when I was twelve back in the late 40's...they didn't have all the doo-dads that the reels of to-day have...the main drag was your thumb... :whistling:

My worst backlash...

A good friend gave me a European type carp outfit...11 ft. rod and a Okuma baitrunner...it took me five tries before I remembered to shut off the "free spool" when I got a "run"...nothing like having a 20 pound angry carp on your line while trying to untangle a backlash... :wallbash:

The guys I was fishing with stopped me before I picked up my rod off my bank stix on my fifth "run"and reminded me of the "free spool"...

Here was the result:

Not my biggest but the most memorable... :clapping:

Edited by Beans

And then there was the Bamboo pole days? 14-16 feet and great for flipping? LOL

Yep...that was what my granpappy and I used at the bridge on the causeway (Lake Scugog) before I got a reel...

Just recently found out that my great-grandfather had a hand in building that bridge back in the late 1800's

Edited by Beans

Worst backlash I had was when I put the rod out on the bottom and forgot to put it in gear. a 30lb catfish came along and started to run with the bait so I picked it up and set the hook in freespool. BIG MESS was the result so I handlined him in with steel gloves for the release and hacked the mess to pieces ruined over 100 yards of 65lb powerpro. Needless to say I haven't done this stunt again till the next time .lol

Art

Yep...that was what my granpappy and I used at the bridge on the causeway (Lake Scugog) before I got a reel...

Just recently found out that my great-grandfather had a hand in building that bridge back in the late 1800's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Highway_7A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:7A_-_Floating_Bridge.jpg

LOL nice bridge back in the day?

Sandusky Bay here off of Lake Erie had a lot of old school wooden boat houses, most had trouble fitting anything over a 16 foot boat, big in the day? A bamboo pole made it really easily to drop your bait in just the right spot, and since Crappie were the usual target? a bamboo pole was all you needed.

Some of those boat houses are still around, they were old when I was a kid.